“Top notch, organized attentive and hella-fun!”

Kona Diving Company
Ranked #6 of 199 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: Awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2014, Kona Diving Company offers SCUBA diving adventures off of their custom dive boat on the Kona coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. Contact us for certification of all levels, introductory dives & night dives/manta ray dives. Multi-day dive packages available. A wonderful shop and friendly staff will welcome you!
jeffco2
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Top notch, organized attentive and hella-fun!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very professional well run dive shop and boat. Manta dives were off the hook. Unlike most that hit the manta dive, they get there early securing a prime spot before the rest of the armada arrives. Rental gear is new and well maintained. They cater well to all levels of divers. I'm an instructor and been diving 20+ years and I highly recommend this operation.

2 Thank jeffco2

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Manta Night Dive”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Outstanding dive experience with Kona Diving Company. Great crew - funny, educational, and professional. Of the three night dives with the mantas I have experienced, this was By FAR the best experience. The dive site off the airport yielded 18 mantas! Far better than off the Sheraton which only sees 1-3 per night. Each diver is provided with new state of the art high intensity LED dive lights which greatly helps to attract plankton. 12 foot wide mantas "fly" directly over your head occasionally bumping the top of your head. Because Kona Diving drops us in the water after other dive boats, we get the benefit of not having to wait for the mantas to show up. Also, when these other divers have surfaced, the mantas then focus completely on our group. This results in creating a frenzy of activity that is truly amazing. This strategy really works well. I rented Kona's equipment and was surprised to wear a new 5 mil Bare wet suit. I thought I would be too warm, but it worked well. Since this was the second dive and I was sitting on the bottom, the heavier suit was perfect. Great experience.

2 Thank Joeflysfast
Sudbury, Massachusetts
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“absolute perfection”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

WE-are a family of2snorklers (one adult and one child), two tern newly certified divers age 12 and 15, and one very accomplished diver. We had a number of requests from manta snorkels and dives to two tank trips to the extended three tank trips. We had some using nitride and 100 cf steels. Some renting all equipment and others only pieces. We began booking in Feb (I do things earlier than most). Our trip could not have gone smoother. Not once did the shop have a different itinerary for us. Every outing had precisely the right equipment for each person waiting on board. They quickly learnedly your name and dive preferences. The dive masters and captains were extremely knowledgeable as well as friendly. They have a unique gift for making you feel part of their family. They are outstanding with children. Jordan will forever hold a special place in my daughter's heart for making her feel so special. My boys talk endlessly about Luke, Paul and David and the many things they explored together. For me Katie and Sarah are the best to deal with. My husband who has dived extensively in Cozumel, California, NC, MA and FL proclaims Merrie company the best he has ever dived with. Their shop is easy to find on the highway that leads to the airport. Just look for Kona Industrial park and the big dive flag. Hang a right on Dhoti st. The boat is equally easy to reach with plenty of parking. We did around 25 dives with them.

1 Thank KAJMJPM
Bellevue, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Professional, organized, attentive, and safe”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have used many dive charters and this one is top notch. You get a great impression from the dive shop, and theirs is clean, organized, full of gear, and well stocked. Their employees had long tenure (always a good sign) and were vey professional. Great, GREAT dives. I had never seen a manta under water, now I have seen 17. Up close. Did I say up close? I mean UP CLOSE.

I will absolutely use them anytime I dive here again and heartily recommend them to others.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We dived for 3 days with these guys. At all times we felt safe, cherished and welcome. We hadn't been diving in 8 years due to kids, but were alone on this vacation so had the chance for daytime and night night diving. Davide was patient with us on our first decent, our refresher as we were a little nervous - but each time it just got better and better. Our last dive, a night dive with the Manta Rays was exceptional! A rare and moving experience. We left a tip in 'the love jug' to thank the crew for their care, vast knowledge and fun during our time with them - it was definitely well earned.