“Awesome Shop, Great People, Excellent Dives!”

Kona Diving Company
Ranked #6 of 206 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: Awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2014, Kona Diving Company offers SCUBA diving adventures off of their custom dive boat on the Kona coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. Contact us for certification of all levels, introductory dives & night dives/manta ray dives. Multi-day dive packages available. A wonderful shop and friendly staff will welcome you!
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I am so glad we used KDC for our dives. We did 5 two-tank dives over three days, including two night dives. The manta dives are a-maz-ing. You can't come to Kona with experiencing that magestic ballet. All dive masters were knowledgeable and provided careful, attentive guidance. The boats and service were great - even the shop girls were awesome! We saw a dozen mantas (and practically got beaten up by them!), dolpins, nudis, great variety of fish, octopi, stars, eels, etc. Woohoo! We would absolutely dive with KDC again - they're the best shop we have ever experienced. Pricing is comperable to other shops, but they charge more for gear. However, all the gear includes computers, so that was great, too.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a great diving experience with KDC. Very friendly shop staff who booked us on a 2 tank dive (dusk and manta night dive). Boat crew and DMs were very friendly and knowledgeable. Very nice boat and gear was nicely set up when we came on board. Luke was my group's DM and was very funny and made things quite enjoyable topside. As for the dives, the Garden Eel cove site was nothing special to write home about; however the manta night dive at the same location was well worth it. We saw at least a dozen mantas and were the last ones out of the water - this made for an unforgettable experience! Came back up to refreshments and homemade brownies!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We finished our PAD certification with KDC (dive 3 & 4) plus two other dives. The staff at the shop and the boat crew were awesome. David, our dive master, for all 4 dives was fantastic! He was patient and a great instructor all around. We also did the Manta ray night dive which was incredible. I highly recommend this group, you can't go wrong!!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I’m new to diving so researched dive companies thoroughly for an introductory dive. I was looking for a company that would have the right mix of enthusiasm for the sport (withouth making me drink the kool-aid), encouragement for a new person to try it (without the pressure to book it if I was apprehensive), the professionalism to insure safety (without scaring me away), and the people to create a customer experience worth remembering. KDC is every bit of that in spades, and more. From the initial contact via email to checking in at the dive shop to the boat pulling into the harbor after the dive, every detail was covered and the experience was outstanding.

For any new sport experience, especially one like scuba diving, creating this mix takes the right people. Every single person I corresponded with or encountered at KDC embodied this culture. From the moment I arrived at the harbor, I was greeted warmly, welcomed aboard and the staff insured everyone greeted each other. Instantly, from the most experienced to the least (me), everyone customer was engaged and felt comfortable being aboard by all of the dive masters and the captain of the boat, who was equally engaging and friendly. Even the primary dive master, Carrie, greeted me personally and visited with me despite the fact she would not be spending time with me underwater.

My dive master was Katie, and I cannot recommend her highly enough. She focused solely on preparing me for the dive and insuring safety came first, and finally to making sure I had a great experience. She made it easy – very. This reassurance is important to putting new divers at ease underwater. But she also wanted to make sure my first dive experience was memorable: upon arriving at the first dive site, while others were gearing up a pod of spinner dolphins approached our boat, so she grabbed snorkel equipment and the entire crew urged me into the water. Within a minute the pod of dolphins surrounded me; an incredible moment I’ll always remember!

The rest of the dive was the best introductory experience I could have imagined: a whole new undersea world was revealed that words can’t describe. Katie insured I was comfortable every flip of the fin on the adventure. After the dive and over snacks and drinks all of us shared our experiences and the sea life we encountered. Carrie, the primary dive master shared her own comments on my dive experience, provided very positive feedback and invited me back so they could certify me. Everything was genuine about KDC, exactly as presented on their website and Trip Advisor. Our return to the Big Island will not only include me getting fully certified with KDC, but also my husband diving and our two sons doing their first dives as well, based on fantastic the people that create an incredible experience for their customers in every way. Look no further - you've found THE diving company to dive with.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was lucky enough to just spend 3 magical days diving with KDC this week and wish I had time for more. The entire staff was very helpful from my first email conversation to the last night dive with them. If you are looking for a dive shop that makes you feel like family, this is the one.

I did a 3 day package with them finishing the third day with a night Manta dive so I got to meet and interact with most of their crew. Everyone was so great and excited about diving. As a new diver and a decent air hog, I was worried that I'd ruin the dive trip for my insta buddy. Not the case with KDC though. We dove in groups of 4 with a DM. When I got low on air we made a trip back by the boat so I could do my safety stop while the rest of the group continued on. This allowed me to not worry about ruining anyone else's trip and made my dives that much better.

No matter which DM you end up with, you will have a great time. They are all very excited to share the wonderful sites with you and each have their own personality. I really liked that they took time at each site to talk not only about the site layout but the critters we might encounter. They were all very knowledgeable and loved to answer questions about the sea life in the area. It was amazing and somewhat infectious to see how excited they got spotting different fish during the dives.

I can't wait to come back and dive with them again.

-Jeremy A.