“Tailored just for me!”

Kona Diving Company
Ranked #4 of 201 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: Awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2014, Kona Diving Company offers SCUBA diving adventures off of their custom dive boat on the Kona coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. Contact us for certification of all levels, introductory dives & night dives/manta ray dives. Multi-day dive packages available. A wonderful shop and friendly staff will welcome you!
Punaluu, Hawaii, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tailored just for me!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Kona Diving Company exceeded expectations on every level. I took a quick island hop from my home island of Oahu to Hawaii for an extended weekend of diving. During my trip I used KDC for tank rentals for shore diving, did both Long Range and Short charters, and participated on their Night Manta Dive. As a customer each of these services are very different, yet KDC hit them all out of the park.

I arrived in Kona and immediately drove over to Kona Diving Company's inviting shop. My first impression was that this is a place I could hang out in for a long time. However, we were on a mission and didn't want to waste any time. We completed the normal paperwork verifying our EANx and SCUBA certifications and picked up tanks/weights for some evening shore diving. The process was efficient, friendly, and the fills were fantastic.

The next day we went on an all day Long Range Dive. This was a 3 tank trip that was tailored to our group. The 3 dive sites were quite varied both in terrain and sea-life. The service topside was top notch. Briefings were entertaining enough to pay attention to, deep enough that safety was their obvious first concern, and broad enough to cover topography/fishies/communication. Our entire boat was EANx certified and every tank that I saw tested was within spec and had a full fill.

We picked up more tanks for shore diving in the morning the next day. Then went on a single tank charter before coming back for our night manta dive. There is a reason that the manta dive is considered my many to be the best night dive the world. There is also a reason that KDC is #1 in Kona. Mind blown? Check!

All in all, we used many different aspects on KDC's comprehensive services. Each "touch" made us want to come back for more. I could not recommend Kona Diving Company with any more enthusiasm.

Visited November 2012

Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Dive Company”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Kona Diving Company is a top quality dive operator with highly skilled, fun staff and a comfortable boat. We have had a blast with them every trip. They pay attention to their dive customer's skills, abilities and interests, then make you feel that they are focused on you and your needs. Our small group consisted of skilled divers with lower air consumption and an interest in the smaller, rarer critters. We were thrilled with our dives and the great spotting skills of our leader, as were the other groups on the boat, who had slightly different interests.
We also appreciated their thoughtful dive site selections for the day and time, taking into account skills, interests, weather, wind and currents. Interacting at their shop is fun, friendly and effective. They have a great shop technician as well. Thanks Kerry, Katie, Jeff, Dennis, Billy and the rest of the team!

Visited November 2012
vancouver
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The Best all round dive shop, period!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is long but worth it, so read on bubble blowers!

My Wife and I just spent 2 weeks on Hawaii and it was fantastic. I planned 5 days of diving including the 2 tank Manta Dive. I am a Dive Instructor and have dived in many places around the world and have worked at many dive shops around the world. Also, I used to work on private boats. That said I can mention the following:

Dive Boat: The perfect size as to not hold too many divers. Well designed to provide divers with enough space to comfortably get set up. Enought dry sapce for you warm and fragile gear and enough walk about and relax space to strech out and enjoy the views and search for dolphins! Easy entry/exit from the boat to the water.The Captain, Jeff was great and very helpful. Also, very knowledgable.

The Dive Instructors: All working on the boat are either Dive Instructors or on their way their shortly I believe. They all seem to have a vast amout of dive experience and knowledge of the area and wild life. They were always very enthusiastic about the dives and everything we saw. At one point they cunsulted me on where I would like to go as I had dived for a few days and they wanted to make sure I did not dive the same site twice. Thanks guys!

The Dive SItes and Dives: all teaming with fish and the viz was great. I saw a few things I had never seen before which was very exciting. They offer NITROX which is fantastic. The dives were very relaxed and the instructors were not rigid about bottom time(besides you are all divers and know what you are doing) and when you were low on air they just sent you up to the boat and the rest continued to dive, fantastic!

The Dive Shop: Full of good kit and the staff were very friendly and helpfull, very refreshing indeed. The equipment seemed to be very well maintained and in good order. I have my own gear and it was treated like gold. Thanks guys, that goes a long way.

I cant say enough about the knowledge and proffesionalism displayed by all the Dive Instructors, captain and staff.

NOW, the Manta Dive/snorkel: You are doing yourself a disservice if you go to Hawaii and not do this. I was blown away by this experience. When first going down and seeing all the divers and lights down there I though, oh boy this is going to be a gong show. It was not in the least. Everyone was well prepped and knew what they could and could not do. The dive was very respectfull of the Mantas with nobody trying to touch, grab or swim after them. You sit on the ocean floor and they just fly right over the top of you like you are not there.

If you dont dive, do the snorkel. My wife is not a water person and is a little nervous but they had her jumping of the boat at night and then spending an hour watching Mantas fly right up to the surface next to and below them.

DONT THINK JUST DO IT!

I know this is long but Kona Dive Shop deserve it.

Thanks guys and I will deffinatly be diving with you again and will recomend you.

Evergreen, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“should be 6 stars”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

we joined the crew for the night time manta ray dive and were blown away. From the check in with Kerry and Katie to the boat with Dennis, Luke, and Shaggy everything was awesome. The dive was safe and professional but the crew made it so much fun that topside was as entertaining as the actual dives. The mantas were out in mass this night and the count was close to 20 visitors within inches of both us divers and the snorklers up top. After the dives the boat continued the great service with a hot water shower, hot beverages, and homemade brownies.

this dive experience was a 6 star outing and I'd encourage everybody that is interested in diving on the big island to join Kona Diving Company for a great time.

Laguna Niguel, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highlight of our trip”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our Manta Ray Diving experience was awesome. The staff was very accomodating with a few special requests, the equipment we used was top rate, the dive staff reviewed everything for us before our dive and the Mantas were truly amazing. The hot shower on the boat was really a plus, but the clincher for us was that the dive team went back to the bottom of the ocean floor to retieve our GoPro video camera that was knocked off my head during the dive. Thank you so much for everything.