“Great people, a little $$$”
Review of Lotus Cafe - CLOSED

Lotus Cafe
Cuisines: Indian, Indonesian, Thai
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Kamanu Street
Description: Our cafe has closed but we still offer the same delicious and healthy food from our Lotus Cafe Fresh Express Food Truck. Our goal at Lotus is to serve the highest quality and best tasting Asian food you have ever eaten. Using our 35 years of experience working with natural and organic foods, we have created unique recipes and sourced special ingredients, many that we grow on our farm, to bring you the flavors of Northern Thailand, Burma, India and Indonesia, all cooked without the slew of artificial ingredients commonly used in all other Asian restaurants. Our cooking techniques maximize the flavor and nutritional / medicinal benefits of the fresh herbs and spices we use. Nothing is fried in oil; mostly we braise or ingredients in the sauces we create. We use fresh herbs & spices to prepare all our sauces from scratch; bottled & canned sauces are NEVER used. Being Hawaii's only Pan-Asian natural foods food truck, with a great menu of dishes not offered anywhere else in Hawaii, and serving fresh delicious food, we have built a huge following of clients just by word of mouth. Come for a meal or just a snack of our delicious gelato, made fresh with local fruit (9 flavors)and coconut milk. It's dairy free and delicious. Come find out why people are raving about Lotus Cafe! Lotus is the only Gluten free & GMO free eatery in all of Hawaii. We use unprocessed and mostly organic ingredients. We can easily accommodate any food allergies or preferences you may have, as we cook the food when you order it, not earlier in the day. You can also find us on Saturdays a t the Keauhou Farmers Market and Sundays at the South Kona Green Market. Also Wednesdays at the Waimea Midweek Farmers Market.
Ontario, Canada
“Great people, a little $$$”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We met the owners at the farmers market and spent awhile talking to howie. Very friendly and personable! Their desire to provide vegan and organic good choices is admirable. We had the veggie omelet from their food truck and it was amazing!

We then tried their restaurant the next night. The ambience was nice, staff friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. (The owners weren't there that night). Many options on the menu. We had the coconut shrimp, red curry medium spice which wasn't very spicy and the lemongrass Ono. The food was served very fast! The flavours are nice but the sauce a little more liquidy than what we are used to. The portion sizes were ok but the prices are a little high (I guess that's the downside of ensuring the organic side of things).

We also had the chocolate pie for dessert. It was pretty good except a little too sweet for me. The coconut gelato was very good though and not too sweet. If you go to the farmers market on Sunday near the choice mart, the pamphlet they give out has a coupon for free gelato.

Overall, I am grateful for organic gluten free options! The owners are very nice and the wife, I believe, usually cooks but she wasn't there that night (don't know if the flavours would have been any different). The prices are a little high but it's the cost of doing things organic I assume. We likely were expecting something a little more close to what we get back at home (but that's not really their fault).

Give them a try if you're in the area!

• Korean first
Spokane, Washington
“Lunch near Costco”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Who knew that tucked in an industrial warehouse just above Costco, is a bamboo and teak oriental retreat called Lotus Cafe. For lunch I had Avacado Salad and my wife has Green Papaya salad with shrimp and green beans. Each had a huge variety of ultra fresh organic veggies, and was dressed with delicious sauce. The place was busy, but food prepared to order, was turned out in a timely way. The menu is huge with soups, salads, main plates and deserts. Specialty teas of course. As well as local and Thia beer, and some wine. Pleasant service. I'd go back for dinner, and to try some of the vast array of other oriental (primarily SE Asia) dishes

• Visited February 2014
“Healthy eating and vegan friendly”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited for dinner in mid Nov and enjoyed our meals. Try the ginger lemonade! Loved the vegan options for dessert too - gelato and vegan pie! We will go back.

Washington, DC
“Love the Lotus Cafe!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We ate here many times during our visit to the big island, as well as from the mobile truck at the South Kona farmers market (Sundays in Captain Cook). So yummy! The pumpkin curry with breadfruit is amazing as are the avocado/ tofu summer rolls. At the restaurant, our favorite dishes are the fish cakes appetizer and the Mac nut crusted Ono. The curries are a safe bet. I ordered noodles one visit, and they were the one disappointment. Save room for the homemade vegan gelato. The Vanilla Ginger is the best!

The whole place is Gluten Free! What a treat to not have to worry about it. Organic, non-GMO, powered by solar, biodegradable take out containers. Love it!

• Visited October 2013
Captain Cook, Hawaii, United States
“Delish”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'm a sucker for Pad Thai. I can't speak to the other dishes this restaurant serves, but I can tell you their Pad Thai is fresh, yummy, and generous. I always intend to take some home and, instead, end up eating the whole thing. I just can't help myself. Although I've only eaten at Lotus twice (both times for lunch), I've never walked away hungry....not even close. I like that they have MANY vegetarian options. My friend ordered the fresh squeezed juice. The glass was large enough for us to share. Amazingly good on a hot day.

Lotus Café is located in the new industrial area, above Costco, in a metal, strip-mall building adjacent to their import business . They've done a fine job transforming the building's interior into a pleasant space. The prices are in line with all the other Thai restaurants I've been to....$9+ per dish....a fair price given their fresh, organic ingredients. The place was not very busy and our food arrived quickly. The only complaint, and it's a small one, is both times I've been to this restaurant, we've had to go up and ask for the check after waiting and waiting.

• Visited July 2013