“Expensive and not a guaranteed experience....”

Kona Mike's Surf Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Surf lessons, stand up paddle lessons and guided tours - for beginners and experienced surfers - with the best instructors on the Big Island! We surf twice a day, seven days a week. Book your adventure today!
Reviewed August 24, 2012

In choosing an activity, I saw all the 5 star reviews from everyone and thought this would be a sure bet fun activity for my children. The main problem was that there weren't any waves when we went out. While I understand that they cannot make waves happen, there are surf reports and forecasts and such. Having said that, it was $400 for the four of us and each of the children got to "go" on 1-2 waves while I sat there lying on the board. They tried to invite me to try also, but there really weren't any waves and I felt I would be taking one of the waves away from my children, so I just watched. I was still charged the full price and no refund was offered.

To be honest, I would have given this experience 1 or 2 stars because that is what it felt like for my children and myself, but I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt that they did not realize that there were no waves before taking us out. Having said that, I saw other instructors (from other companies) continue to take people out into the water when there were no waves present, so I am really not sure if they would ever turn you away and say, "Hey, there just aren't any waves today..."

Obviously, most of the reviews are positive so it would seem that most people have a good time, but I just wanted to share our experience, so you could weigh the odds or possibly check the surf report ahead of time...

5  Thank pgm1212

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We started with a lesson, and very soon we were paddling in the ocean to get ready for the first surfing experience.

It was much harder than we thought, but we really loved it. The instructors were very good, and they knew exactly how to help us get a wonderful surfing experience.

There were quite a lot of people surfing, and sometimes if felt like there could have been a little less people to get even a better surfing experience.

There was a photographer who took very nice pictures. When we returned home we were able to go through the pictures and choose the ones that we liked.

We'll definitely do it again!

2  Thank terot
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Our 11year old boys loved the 2 full hours they had on the water. Though wave action can be qiliite fickle on the Mona side Mike and his team search for the best and safest wave action for surfing lessons. There are beach photographers who snap action shots so families don't have to worry about getting that perfect picture of you hanging 10. A great value for our money and great memories for the boys. They can now say to their friends that THEY learned to surf in Hawai'I.

1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife and I decided to honeymoon in Hawaii and even though I had never actually swam in the ocean before we did plenty of water activities. One was a Stand Up Paddleboarding lesson with Kona Mike himself. The waves were a little rough, but we still had a lot of fun. Mike chatted with us and made sure that we were comfortable on the board.

I also got to take a private surf lesson with one of Mike's other teachers. I had no idea it was so exhausting! My arms were ready to fall off after an hour. I managed to stand up 5 times and had a blast. Although I'm still in my twenties, surfing was on my bucket list and I'm very happy to say that I checked that one off.

The only thing I would complain about is that it was expensive. Of course, I said that about everything in Hawaii and I will totally ride with Mike if I'm ever in Kona again.

Thanks Mike!

- Andrew (and Jackie)

2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was a little skeptical when I was told I would be surfing that same day, but Mike, Scott, and Justin took care of my wife and me, AND had us catching waves in a short amount of time. I highly recommend Kona Mikes!

R. Webb, League City, TX