All reviews breakfast is served fresh fruit every morning dolores cottage lanai
Reviewed December 9, 2016

I write reviews in TA because I find them helpful when I travel. My inclination is not to write anything when we have a bad experience, but that makes everything a puff piece which does not help anyone.But I had a bad experience here--probably the only bad experience in years of reviewing B and Bs.

This is a very clean, and satisfactory place.

Dolores the owner seemed like a cordial enough lady and I respected that she was running the place by herself in her 80s. When I attempted to make a P Pal reservation, it did not go through the first time. Weeks later Dolores called me. Two more times she gave me incorrect info and I had to cancel three payments totaling $600.

Most reservations take about 5 minutes. Between her emails, wrong info for PP and phone calls--blaming Pay Pal, hackers and even me, I wasted about 2 hours. But eventually she got it right. I would have cut bait, but. I felt sorry for her.

When I left, I wanted to pay Dolores either all or part by credit card, Quickpay or even PayPal, since her demand for cash payment was using up most of what I brought on the trip (I don't carry checks) I asked if she would take about 75% of the $350 in cash. Going from 0 to 100 in 2 minutes, she again insisted on cash, and then called me "dishonorable"- which I guess was tantamount to calling me a liar/crook. She looked amazed that I said that I am used to paying B and Bs with a credit card and have Never had a problem. So I just gave her most of my cash, thanked her and went on my way. I don't enjoy fighting with an older person, except maybe my parents when they were alive.

Apparently Dolores felt aggrieved. I left a dental waterpik in the room, and she did not even have the good sense/kindness to call me when she found it (she seems to do her own cleaning). So much for the generous Hawaiian spirit.

Lastly, she calls the place a B and B, but has discontinued the second B--both her name and the Trip Advisor description mention Breakfast. She has not updated this "minor" inaccuracy.

If you have another choice for Kona, I suggest you stay elsewhere. Age is no excuse for mean spirit in a business relying on customer relations.

Room tip: cottage is nice but down an inclined driveway and 2 flights--not easy with luggage
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank syncomm1
Reviewed April 13, 2016

Staying in the studio at the 1st Class Bed and Breakfast is like staying with a friend, who provides an immaculately clean, well appointed studio and makes a concentrated effort to cater to your wants and needs (what hotel would ask if you'd like the coffee brewed stronger or weaker?).

The B & B is located in a residential neighborhood, up a hill, South of main tourist area of Kailua-Kona. It offers a convenient base station to explore the area, but you are not in the thick of crowds and definitely require a car to get around. Our windows were open the whole visit and the area is generally quiet except for distant highway noise and chirping birds.

Dolores prepares an excellent breakfast each morning with artfully arranged fresh fruit and a different hot dish each day. Breakfast is served on the upstairs lanai which has a great ocean view.

The studio has a king bed, sitting area, dressing/vanity area, tub/shower combo and a kitchen with refrigerator, microwave and toaster oven. The kitchen is well stocked with plates, cups, cutlery, cooking implements and sundries. Also available are a variety of books, guides, magazines and maps. There's a basic TV and a small stereo (CD?), neither of which we turned on during our stay. Everything was exceptionally clean, tidy and in good repair. The studio also has a spacious gazebo seating area, very pleasant, but the ocean view is blocked by the vegetation.

As an added bonus, Dolores has a collection of beach toys (sand chairs, boogie boards, snorkels, masks, fins, etc) for use of her guests.

I highly recommend the 1st class B & B. The only negative with the studio is the breakfast lanai is right above it and as a light sleeper I was aware of early morning footsteps above.

Date of stay: March 2016
Reviewed March 16, 2016

My wife and I just spent a week in the cottage and it was wonderful. Dolores is delightful and full of insight and knowledge regarding the Island of Hawaii.We have previously stayed in the Studio and it was equally as nice. As nice as the two units are, the best part of the visit was our conversations with Dolores. An absolutely fabulous fresh breakfast in the morning served on the lenai followed by a cup of coffee while we discuss our plans for the day. Some snorkeling gear, boogie boards and lawn chairs are available to take to the beach. 1st class stay all around, it does not get better than this place.

Room tip: The Cottage is a little more private and well worth the little extra money.
Date of stay: March 2016
Reviewed December 31, 2015 via mobile

We stayed at 1st class B and B for 3 night after the Christmas holiday. Dolores was delightful and very welcoming. The unit was exceptionally clean and had everything and anything we would need! Breakfast was yummy every morning and she made sure to check for dietary needs and likes and dislikes! It was a hidden little gem and would love to return sometime soon!

Date of stay: January 2016
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Well to start with the name fits this Bed and Breakfast perfectly. Everything at 1st class Bed & Breakfast is just perfect. We loved the cottage. It was spacious and tastefully decorated. Dolores had thought of everything from a cool box and paper plates for picnics to a torch in case of a power failure. The cottage was squeaky clean and equipped with everything one would expect more in a rental apartment than a B&B. Breakfast was fabulous everyday with a plate of tropical fresh fruit and a daily changing warm dish. Dolores always asked us whether we would like a particular dish she planned for the next day. Breakfast was a convivial event with meeting other guests, exchanging the events of the previous day to tips on where to go for dinner. Dolores was such a help with her vast knowledge of the island. We did a lot of research on the Internet when looking for a B&B on the big island and are very happy that we chanced upon the 1st class B&B. It was mostly due to the other good reviews and we can agree with them wholeheartedly.

Room tip: The cottage is definitely more than worth the extra few dollars.
Date of stay: May 2014