First, about the Ali'i Villas itself, we actually were very happy with the place. While we were a couple of miles from the nearest decent beach we enjoyed the pool, the waterfront view at the bottom of the hill, the well maintained grounds (and yes, it's a little institutional, but not so bad as some people have said), and the friendliness of the maintenance staff there. One guy in particular (Jack, I think) gave us some on-par advice on restaurants and beaches to visit.
The bad comes in when we arrived at Unit #123 during the Labor Day weekend (keep in mind each unit is individually owned & maintained). We actually arrived a couple of hours too early (morning flight, late check-in), and found that the place was still not cleaned from the last occupant. Okay, we were early, so we came back at the right time and it was STILL NOT CLEANED! We called the owner, who said she would find us somebody to come in that night, however we were so tired from out journey we didn't want to be kicked out of the place for another four hours. Instead of relaxing in our bed or going to the pool we spent the first couple of hours throwing all the bedding & towels into the wash, sweeping long black hair from the bathroom floor, and cleaning the dishes. Needless to say, if the place had been well-cleaned as it was the next day, we would have gotten a far better first impression and would have been less stressed out and irritated.
The owner said that it was the first time this had happened. Okay, things happen and the lines of communication were somehow mixed up between the owner and the private cleaning staff; I understand that things happen. To compensate us for our inconvenience the owner offered to buy us dinner at Bongo Ben's down the road, which we took up reluctantly as the word on the street was that it wasn't a very good restaurant. She insisted strongly at that restaurant (she had a discount card for there), saying TripAdvisor gave it good reviews (it's occasionally wrong. Sorry TA, but it's true) . It was horrible. As the money spent at the dinner was to be compensated at a later day, we chalked the meal up as a loss and asked for 1/2 the cleaning deposit back instead. She emailed to "remind" us we were receiving a discount on the unit (post- Labor Day/pre-Iron Man fee). She also informed us that she would dock the money from the cleaning person fee to pay us, implying that it was our fault that person would not receive her full wage for that job. We were so offended that we ended up taking no money!
Unit #123 itself is a very decent one-bedroom place, with a remodeled kitchen, washer/dryer, good-sized living room with a comfy leather couch, comfortable bed, washer/dryer, a lanai that invited hanging out with a cup of coffee in the morning, and a negotiated late check-out. This SHOULD have been the first sentence that I wrote for this review. However after dealing with the owner my husband and I would recommend the Ali'i Villas Resort to our friends, but not Unit #123.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tumble out of bed and enjoy a morning ocean walk, returning to breakfast on your Italian tiled lanai overlooking the ocean. The view of the ocean is wonderful. Tastefully renovated dream kitchen with granite countertops, two flat screen TV's, five appliances (including washer/dryer) and romantic bedroom with four poster bed, two new memory foam mattress and beautiful Egyptian bedding. Alii Villas is a popular, well maintained resort located on scenic Alii Drive, with nothing between it and the ocean except palm trees and lush gardens. Everything provided, including custom bath robes and aloha welcome basket. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your Alii Villas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alii Villas Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Alii Villas Resort Hawaii/Kailua-Kona