“Alii Villas #107 Great Place To Stay”
Review of Alii Villas Resort

Alii Villas Resort
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I am so in love with Kona and this property. Mind you I'm not old, but not a "spring breaker" either. To be honest, I LOVE the fact that they have rules and regular residents there. The property was extremely well kept AND so quiet! Yes, I like to sleep while on vacation and its comforting to know that someone is actually living on site in case you need assistance. We stayed at the King Kamehaha Courtyard before and the experience was HORRID. Constant noise, tourists in and out, too much drinking and drunks etc... NOT a relaxing experience. Sure, you dont have anyone catering on you hand and foot, BUT if you are looking for a place to stay where it feels like "home", this is it. The hubby and I ate on their awesome Lanai and grilled some fantastic fresh fish on the community Gas BBQ grill by the pool. PLUS, the ocean is literally a 2 minute walk from the unit. We loved having our breakfast looking out at the ocean on the benches they have. So peaceful. For $85 bucks a night, you cant go wrong.

FYI, I dont know what VRB is, but we went through Kona Coast Vacations and they were great to work with.

Room Tip: no fitness center or room service, cause its not a hotel. didn't know how to rate. FYI, the far...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Karen R

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Excellent. Stayed four weeks and enjoyed every minute including views from lanai of whales and dolphins just off shore. The pool next door is not a problem. Condo and amenities in excellent condition. Kono village and shopping convenient by driving though unless you're into Ironman type running or biking, it's a little too far to walk. I discovered that the Kono Municipal Swimming Pool is true olympic size and free for lap swimming daily. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Alii Villas and look forward to our next trip. The property is beautifully maintained and centrally located. Our only complaint would be that the unit we stayed in, #123, was not quite as nice as the pictures would lead you to believe. It's a ground floor unit, dark and very musty smelling. When we arrived, we found the smell overpowering and thought about moving out. However, after a few days we realized what a great find the Alii Villas are. The hosts of this unit have thought of everything - no matter what you need, they have it. One word of caution - the advertised "memory foam bed" is actually an old (gold fabric) box spring and mattress with a 2 inch memory foam pad on the top. This makes for an extremely soft mattress which some people will love and others will hate.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed in condo #123 - very nice condo updated and clean had no problem with condo - just had a problem with the residents that lived there - it felt like we were imposing on them - they were not friendly at all - plus rules about everything posted everwhere. The locals residents had a exercise program in the pool every morning at 10 am - so therefore not room for us to have a swim!!!! As quoted in the Big Island Revealed guidebook by Andrew Doughty (great book for Island dos and don'ts). This resort is INSTITUTIONAL FEELING and is not the greatest place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank whitegreen
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed in #233 which is a corner unit right over the ocean. The condo is large with a bedroom with 4 bunk beds and a master bedroom separated with moving walls. The lanai doors open to let the breezes in. It is well apoointed and everything worked including a washer and dryer (great for all those wet beach towels) . I spent hours on the lanai watching the para-sailers, fishermen, spinner dolphens and waves crashing. We walked around on the lava, enjoyed the pool (it's in the center of the complex which others didn't like but my daughter liked being able to get away from the constant ocean sound for a while) Clean and well maintained. As an aside, I have tinnitus (ringing in my ears) and I was blissfully releived for 5 days!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank radarsmom
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I had hoped to stay at Hale Kona Kai this trip but they were booked (plus doing some renovations), so Adeline suggested Alii Villas where she manages a couple of condos. I am in #227 and must say it is very nicely done. Two bedrooms with a lanai looking out on the ocean. Furniture is nice, not worn like in some rentals. Carpets look new, Kitchen well-furnished.

There are not a lot of drawbacks here. You do look out over one of the pools, which can get a little noisy at times. And if you want to go to town you'll have to drive (although it isn't far).

All in all this is a very nice place.

Room Tip: 227 is great. I don't know about the others.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Richard W
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This was our first time to Kona. OMG, the condo was so much bigger than the pictures looked. The condo was clean, decor was very Hawaiian and the lanai (patio) was really peacefully secluded. I couldn't believe how we lucked out, it was only a short 25 minute walk to town (brisk pace), but man, it was so great that my partner and I were so sad to leave! I actually started looking at craigslist ads for jobs in Kona! lol. So worth the price, we saved a lot of money by cooking all that fresh fish we bought back at the condo. They have an great public BBQ and pool area. The maintenance staff were incredibly friendly. I will also say that the community was very peaceful. One thing I hate about hotels sometimes is you get the loud partiers. Everyone understands quiet time is 10:00 pm and on. Will go back for sure. Just hope we can get the same rate. Oh, make sure you rent a car, while the town is fantastic, there are places on the island you must drive to in order to see.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pdxcheng
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
22 mi away
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Alii Villas Resort? Share your experiences!