“Unit 101: It is ALL about the lanai. Note, this unit does not have A/C”
Review of Kona Nalu

Kona Nalu
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Nalu
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This unit served as our honeymoon getaway in 2009. The biggest disappointment was the lack of AC. Apparently at this complex, it is up to the owner to install their own AC. When I had researched it online, I assumed since other units had AC, the all did. WHOOPS. As you search for a place to stay, everyone will tell you - "aw brah, you don't need AC- we got the trade winds." If these trade winds take care of everything, why does it seem every store, every resturant, and every place we went where locals were hanging had AC? AC isn't life or death, but if you are like us, and not used to warm, you want AC.

As it is OCEAN FRONT, and had apparently been vacant (not aired out) for at least a week before we arrived, it was musty and mildew/moldy smelling. Having the patio open constantly while we were there pretty much took care of that issue.

The lanai is HUGE! We spent so much time out there, and loved that patio so much that the rest of the condo seemed an afterthought.

It was a great vacation, and I have stayed in worse places, but I wouldn't recommend this place unless you are very budget concious but want ocean front and can't find something cheaper- and even then I would highly recommend you splurge for something a little nicer. The complex itself was great.

The pool is small, and not really good for kids, but for us as honeymooners, it was a perfect place to quietly cool off and unwind after a day of running around.

We did feel like we got what we paid for, as this unit was one of the most affordable ocean front places we came across.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SaraCastic

Reviewed February 23, 2011

We stayed in Kona Nalu #302 for seven days in mid-February, 2011. This unit rents for luxury prices but the facilities leave much to be desired. The unit has not been renovated: be prepared for dirty, stained carpets and throw rugs; outdated, chipped, and worn appliances; stained sheets with holes; stained towels that look and feel like they have been recycled from a car wash; broken blinds; electrical outlets that sparked; a front screen door that doesn’t close; and, a sign on the sliding glass doors to the lanai that says “Be careful, these doors will lock behind you, trapping you on the lanai”.

In keeping with it’s 70's feel, unit #302 does not have internet access. The dining room table was missing a chair (3 not 4). The sugar ants had been controlled in the kitchen fairly well but they showed up in the master BR bed by the end of the week.

There are positives–the large lanai is well furnished and very pleasant, the view is great, there is air conditioning, a well equipped kitchen, and comfortable furniture in the living room.

But when I pay this rate for accomodations, I expect them to be well maintained and comfortable. I don’t expect to have to wear shoes inside (this is the first Hawaiian condo we have stayed in that did not have a “Maholo for removing your shoes” sign on the front door). And I shouldn't have to sleep on sheets with holes and use towels that feel like sandpaper.

Kona Nalu suffers as well in comparision to another complex just a half mile south we stayed in the week before. The Kona Nalu pool is tiny and came with a dead gecko which I removed. There is no hot tub, the grill requires charcoal (not provided), railings were chipped and rusting, and the elevator seemed to be on its last legs (the emergency phone is outside the elevator on the first floor). Noise levels in the second bedroom are high due to the location at a three-way stop sign on Ali’i Drive.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank waterwizard_28
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We enjoyed 6 nights at Kona Nalu #105, the condo was the best part of the trip, the sunsets from the lanai, the sound of crashing waves. The decor was pleasing and everything was satisfactory. There are boogie boards, beach towels for use. The bathroom towels could have been updated, they are very rough, however. There were a couple lightbulbs out, but everything else was great! We arrived to music, lights on and cool central air. That was very appreciated. Visit Huggo's for dinner when there. The island is pretty spread out, so plan your time wisely! If you go, this condo would be my choice! Especially if you don't care for the big resorts and having to walk a distance to get through hotels. Having a home away from home is so much better! Abbey Vacations is A plus!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Annettencalif
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We have stayed in #301 numerous times. What a wonderful place. The owners are updating it constantly, with new linens and up to date furniture and colors. The locationis fabulous, you couldn't be any closer to the ocean. The whales are great to watch along with the spinner dolphins and sea turtles. The sunsets cannot be beat. I would highly recommend #301 at the Kona Nalu, Kona, Hawaii The lanai is the BEST!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank youandmeinidaho
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed in unit 105, managed by Abbey Vacation Rentals.

We loved the location--right on the ocean!--close enough to hear the surf crashing all night long when we slept with our patio doors open. We ate every meal on the lanai to enjoy the ocean view. We could walk to a nearby small beach (a short but tricky walk over some lava), perfect for kids, and one afternoon 4 big turtles swam with us for about 3 hours. They were so close that they occasionally bumped into us while swimming. Wow.

We liked the decorating scheme, and the furniture was all quite comfortable. The kitchen was well stocked, and we really appreciated having sand toys and boogie boards and beach towels included. (One suggestion: it would have been great to have a portable crib--I imagine other families would really appreciate having this as well.)

Our big complaint was the general grunge. The condo had been cleaned as well as possible, and we didn't see any bugs. But either the unit was getting old, or corners were cut in the building process. The 2nd bathroom had lots of mildew; paint was flaking off of the lanai table and chairs (pretty yucky when the kids tracked that into the condo); the keys to the pool were unnecessary because the locks were rusted out; the pool shower had become detached from the fence and was hanging at an angle; etc.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Julia290
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed here in April 2008. All the pics show is the gorgeous view, and a fairly nice living and master. What they don't show is a horribly old and outdated tiny, closed-in kitchen overrun with ants everywhere and god knows what else. Then if you have CHILDREN BEWARE, many unsecured cabinets holding insecticides, toxic paint cans and many other harmful products. Shouldn't all this be stored off site or locked at least? Front bedroom is way far from master which is connected to the lanai. It is right beside the parking area with an easily accessible window . I could not put my child that far from me and moved a bed next to ours. Sunquest was an absolute nightmare to deal with. There was a note upon arrival saying the cabinets had been repainted that day!!! The fumes were unbearable, and I was pregnant besides, and my mother has asthma and Sunquest thought this was fine??!!!! Just awful...I have seen other updated units in this complex that had removed kitchen walls that changed the layout and had everything updated. I wish we would have seen them before...The only nice point was a bit of sand for some beachcombing outfront with our 4 year old was fun and the view was really nice. We saw dolphins one day and whales. I would say any other unit here might be better. Just research!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank northmole
Reviewed September 17, 2008

My wife and I recently returned from a week at Kona nalu unit # 302. The property is about 3 miles south of Kailua Kona, so far enough away to be quiet, but very conventient to downtown shopping, etc.

The complex sits on a small beach, with a reef right out front where turtles could be observed feeding in the mornings. The lights of Kona are visible from the deck, and sunsets are perfect!

The complex is relatively small, with only 15 condos. Each condo is enormous though, with expansive decks, and is very clean and well maintained. Each one is decorated by the owner, so I cannot comment on other units.

Unit 302 was very well furnished, with light fabrics and carpets, and very complete linens and kitchen furnishings. In addition, beach chairs, umbrellas, and a cooler were all available to borrow from the unit.

The rate was comparable to other units in the area, and we both feel that we got a lot more than we paid for. This was our 6th trip to Hawaii, and by far the best condo we've found.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple