“Kona Banyan Tree #302”
Review of Kona Banyan Tree

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Banyan Tree
Reviewed February 5, 2014

What a wonderful place to stay! No wonder it books up so quickly! This condo was recommended by a friend who had stayed and loved it and we can only second her accolades. The view is spectacular, just a few feet from the ocean, and the wall of windows and doors maximizes the oceanfront setting. During our stay we loved watching experienced surfers right in front of our lanai. The access beach next door also has sea turtles. The unit is immaculately clean and stocked with every imaginable beach item and the kitchen has all cookware, spices, etc. for those who want to cook or maybe grill outside. We loved the 2 full baths and the in-room washer and dryer. 2 bedrooms with a total of 3 beds give lots of options for sleeping arrangements. Reserved first level parking and an elevator were much appreciated. Owner Janice is amazing at immediate replies to questions. Kona weather is reliably warm and sunny. I only hope I can return to Hawaii someday and to this condo.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Let's start with the good, or great, I should say. THE VIEW. The unit is ON the water. Doesn't get much better. Your lanai overlooks the ocean. While no sandy beach area (just a rocky water's edge), there is a "public beach access" entry directly next to the property where local surfers and body boarders come every day. My husband bodyboarded for me and the kids while we ate fresh pineapple on our lanai. Loved it! Also, great entertainment from awesome surfers any time of day while we were there in January. THE PRICE. Cheapest my husband could find for a 2-bedroom condo unit in Kona. Great price, even though it ended up being more than what was quoted on the internet, but not by much. THE RENTER. Don was super to work with, talking with my husband in depth about the property and things to do on the island. Truly great. LOCATION. Great location. Very close to downtown Kona, where the shops and restaurants are. THE EQUIPMENT. Two body boards available in the closet, also four beach chairs, two of which were broken unfortunately, and fins (can't remember if they had snorkels, as we used our own but the fins were nice!) THE POOL, along with hot tub, were loved by our kids. We bbqed and ate one night down by the pool, and it was lovely. Hardly anybody at the pool, but we always saw someone bbqing at night, usually bringing it back to eat in their unit. THE BUILDING. You need keys for everything... opening the elevator (or a code is available too), stairs, pool gate. One of our two keys provided didn't work so we often were waiting to open doors, but understandable to keep out riff raff from the street. Our parking stall was closest to the stairs and our unit, so that was very nice. THE UNIT. When our 75 year old uncle said that the cabinets in the kitchen were the same as he had in his first apartment... well that about sums it up, the unit is in desperate need of an update, particularly the galley kitchen and the bathrooms. The other thing I didn't care for was that the windows at the front of the unit don't fully close (also old-school with cranky close handles), so I was always worried our kids would be disrupting the neighbors (and since the property is just off the main road, the 2nd bedroom could hear street noise at night.) The master bedroom was separated from the main living room by a japanese sliding door partition, no official door. I actually liked the partition, as it was very zen and unique, but not particularly private if you are looking for that. NO AIR CONDITIONING. The first night we arrived, and sweating, I thought this was going to be a problem, but the overhead fans ended up being fine. However, if you need it cool, be warned, no AC. There is a washer dryer in this unit which was extremely helpful. I had to chuckle that someone had watered down the tide provided. Not a big problem since we had brought our own Tide as well. The kitchen had pots, pans, utensils, but no spices or seasonings or even a measuring cup for that matter. I can't say it was well-stocked, but it did have quite a few kitchen gadgets available. The furniture and decorations were fine. The wicker couch and chairs were stiff, and I might have liked something more comfy if we spent more time in the unit, but fine for us nonetheless. PHONE SERVICE. While the internet wi-fi worked great in the unit, my Sprint phone service was spotty, and I rarely had reception in the actual unit.

All in all, a great first 5 days of our stay on the Big Island. Traveling with 3 young kids, the unit was fine for us. We knew what we were getting before arriving, and appreciated a cost-effective option while staying in Kona. As we were on-the-go most of the time, we didn't spend many days here, primarily just mornings and sleeping at night. Again, the view was worth gold. We would stay at the Banyan Tree again just for that!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank hijodi
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Great week on the Big Island. This condo had a great ocean view, and the sound of the waves blocked any noise from the road. Sunsets were wonderful, and I saw my first green flash. There was plenty of space for the two of us (we didn't even use the second bedroom), so this would be a good place for two couples or a family. The wifi worked great (both my wife and I had to do some work while we were there),

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our stay at Banyon Tree #302 was lovely. The owners were incredibly helpful throughout the process (before and during our stay), and that really made for a pleasuable experience. The kitchen was a delight, the condo itself was very clean and well attended to, pool area at the complex was somewhat small but quite satisfactory and not at all crowded, so there was never a problem in finding just the right lounge chair. The location on Alii drive was really great and easy access to beaches by walking. The owners also supply a wonderfu array of beach towels, fishing rods, snorkel equipment, mats, etc. Additionally, I was rather surprised that the small market across the street was well priced and seemed to have everything you'd need at the last minute. The best thing of all, however, was the location of the unit on the water. Many condo complexes on Alii drive are situated "on the water" but the unit itself may be far enough removed from the water that it's a mute point. Banyon Tree #302 was right on the water and we had the lanai doors open the whole time we were in the unit. There's nothing more delightful than the sound of the waves while relaxing inside, or while sitting on the lanai. The view was literally breathtaking. Watching the surfers right next door was a real treat as well and added to the experience as a whole. Lastly, the owners seemed to be highly responsive to feedback and truly desirous that their guests have a very positive experience, which isn't always the case when staying at a condo rental. Truly a lovely time and very therapeutic respite!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank frecklesmom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This Condo was really a find. My wife and I recently spent 9 days there and enjoyed every minute if it. Sitting on the lanai in the mornings eating Hawaiian fruit and watching the surfers as well as the evening sunsets were very special times of the day. The condo was every bit as nice as shown on the web site photographs. It was well equipped and contained everything we needed to make our stay very comfortable.We thank the owner Janice for being so friendly and providing us with information about the island beaches, eating places, shopping etc. We had a great vacation and look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alan312
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We would like to thank Janice and Robert for allowing us to stay at their condo in Kona. The oceanfront location was SPECTACULAR and the evening sunsets were BREATHTAKING!!! We enjoyed eating breakfast on the lanai and watching the surfers below. The condo was very well equipped from the kitchen to the beach equipment and was beautifully decorated with tropical decor. On several occasions we spotted turtles in the ocean from the lanai. Our second trip to the Big Island was AMAZING and we look forward to staying at this condo again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AZ3555
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Thank you Janice for sharing your beautiful condo with us, we will never forget the views, the sound of the ocean at night, everything you could possibly need supplied. It was the perfect base for exploring The Big Island. I have a photo in my office (see below, my new happy place.)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple