“Great location walk to Kona”
Review of Kona Islander Inn

Kona Islander Inn
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Our garden view room was clean and comfy.
It had a small kitchen area with microwave, frige and sink.
I think most of the units are condos rented out by the management. Very well maintained. A couple of drawbacks- parking was limited, first come first served and signs everywhere. Don't enter the lobby wet, don't park here, don't hang your towel here etc. The desk clerk doesn't show up until 8AM so that can be a problem.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank islanderCapeCod

Reviewed November 12, 2008

i have mixed feeling about this place...good location, clean public areas, nice pool garden and lobby. however, my condo was pretty tired and worn. i mean how difficult is it to fix the screen, dresser, and replace the carpet..my condo 225 has seen better days and is obvious that it is owned by some greedy owner who wants to keep renting it until it falls down!

parking is a problem in the evening, if you are returning from a long day traveling. i arttached some puctures to give you an idea of what i am talking about..

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank deadheadtraveler
Reviewed July 26, 2008

This hotel is so inexpensive and yet has so much going for it! I loved the grounds and the proximity to downtown. I called one of the walkways Plumeria Lane because it has so many plumeria trees that were so beautiful and smelled so good!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank turquoiselvr
Reviewed May 6, 2008

Funny thing about all of these reviews of the Kona Islander Inn, is that they are all true. I was there for 6 weeks in the winter of 07. The condos are indepently owned and sone owners care more for their units than others. My first 2 weeks at the Inn were spent in a condo owned by Lisa Weeks. It was amazing and clean and ocean side. I would suggest contacting her through the office at the Inn if you can afford the weekly rate. Judging by the guest book in the room, it was a very popular unit. The second unit I rented was on par with an over used airport Best Western. I got it for 1,000 dollars for a month. Everything worked fine, but it was without a doubt the party building. By then, I was familiar with things and only used my room to shower, sleep and entertain the occasional guest. . . . My experience with the office staff regarding my mail and other issues was great . . . . Also, the location of this place can't be beat. It's on the busline, within walking distance(if you're healthy)of grocery stores and crazy shopping and resteraunts.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2008

We stayed at this hotel only bc it's in the middle of the town and you are close to all shops and restaurants. If we took Sheraton we'd have to travel 30 min to town which for us is unacceptable, Location, location. I'm happy I'm back home and I don't have to stay in this hotel any longer. Smell of the room was like wet rotten wood. Air conditioner was too loud. I had to put sheets over sofa bc it was like taken from Goodwill and we were afraid to sit on it. Comforter on bed was literally covered with hard pilling which was disgusting and I was nauseous touching it. Carpet looked suspicious. Pool was closed during our stay so it's another inconvenience. Shower head was impossible to mount on handle so you can shower normally, I had to keep it at all times. Shower curtain was old, dirty and too short - water was going out and I had to dry the floor after each shower. We had very busy schedule going to volcanoes and around Big Island so we didn't want to bother going to front desk and play with changing room/complaining since we had only 5 nights to stay however I'd say - never again!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ellenhc2006
Reviewed March 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed in Room 324. This room needs major remodeling. Very old and worn. It was a standard room at $99/night. We put up with the "shabby chic" style for two days until we were invaded by cockroaches. We delivered one to the front desk and had to "insist" on another room. We were given Room 228 which proved to be very nice. Even so, I would not stay at this Inn again. The proximity to the town was good but there are other hotels in the area. The Smiths

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank radjsmith
Reviewed December 11, 2007

This place is for travelers like me. I don't ask for amenities so why pay for them? I responded to a vrbo ad with the tickler of $299/week. They seriously try to bust you off that rate with tales of only really old decrepit condos (it was built in the '60s) get that rate. I held my ground and got the rate. The first place they gave me had a broken a/c and an inoperable TV. So I was immediately given an alternative that I accepted. Hence the 'problem'. There is no other property in the Kona area at a lower price. Therefore, it ain't the Ritz. Just basics. But there is a nice pool and laundry facilities. The kitchenette is just a small fridge and microwave. The cleaning crew is not perfect, so the occasional roach gets through. The real problem is the severe lack of parking....First come first served. Plan ahead daily to secure parking. For what I paid, I have to commend this place. It's south entrance, through lush tropical jungle landscaping, is across the street from Bubba Gumps on Alii Dr. Talk about being next to everything in downtown Kailua-Kona.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple