“Location gives this place a 2.”
Review of Kona Islander Inn

Kona Islander Inn
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I rented a unit here for our two weeks on the Big Island.

Our unit was 'average' maintained, but we did have the very basics of what we needed. The balcony over looked the pool - so little privacy unfortunately.

WIFI does NOT work in rooms - it must be used in lobby.

Staff is exceptionally rude.

Kona is a very sleepy 'seaside' type town, with souvenir shops, over priced restaurants and not much to do. Retired is the word I'd use to describe the Kona crowd.

We rented a car to see the 'sites' but found them all touristy and disappointing. We returned the car after two days and were charged twice what we were quoted by Alamo.

No beaches.

***Important - if you rent a car, keep the Orange Paper Parking pass. We were charged - after we left and were not advised 50.00 for not returning it. We didn't have park in the lot as there was no parking spots available.

We then went to Honolulu where we rented a Condo for two weeks - much better location! I'd skip the boring..or " Big Island", and go straight to Oahu - better beaches, better restaurant, grocery options, better shopping (if you like that) and much more enjoyable crowd. We were even able to find an affordable GYM membership at the YMCA. (Big Island 18.00 per person per workout )

Room Tip: Skip Kona all together.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kona Islander Inn

Reviewed January 2, 2014

It was our first time to stay at the Kona Islander Inn. It was a bit difficult to find out about where the parking was and to get into registration. However, once we parked, which didn't take long, registration was a breeze. Once inside the lobby, suddenly the ambience sets in, the beautiful waiting area befits a tropical paradise that Hawaii truly is. Our unit was actually facing Alii Drive but that didn't even bother me. There were so many things to see and feel: the banana, palm and other tropical trees, the balmy breeze from the ocean, the waves rushing onto the rocks which is about as close as one can get. I got mesmerized. On top of that, it is walking distance to everything: the shops, dining, cafes, farmer's market, even the church! How can you beat that?

Room Tip: don't worry if your unit is near the main street...I'm a light sleeper and I didn't hear...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2013

The hotel is in the middle of the beach area, convenient to restaurants,, bars, shops, etc.. When we checked in, we were somehow upgraded to one of the ocean view condos (room 243, if memory serves). It doesn't hurt to ask at check-in, occasionally some are available. This was a much better place than my brother-in-law and his wife got, full-size fridge, recently renovated. Our room became the meeting place before our daily adventures, but we didn't mind. It was a small price to pay for being able to open the curtains and see the ocean right outside our door. We stayed there two separate times, and on the second stay we were also upgraded (we had asked before we checked out the first time), not quite as nice a room but still with the same outstanding view. One down note - there are condos in this complex where people live, and they enforce the 10 PM quiet time by the pool very strictly, with early warnings. Didn't bother us, we just moved the party to our room, and we were fine.

Room Tip: Ask at check-in for upgrade to ocean view - or just book it if you can. You'll like it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We were looking for a short term place after our long term stay outside of the main tourist area. We wanted to be able to access the beach and restaurants without having to drive. This place was perfect for this, the beach is just across the street from the complex and there are restaurants and shoppes on both of the main roads surrounding the Inn. The units in this complex are individually owned but managed by the in house staff, so the decor and the quality of each unit is dependent on the owner of the unit with some of the units having been updated and these are given the highest rating of 5 stars and the price is determined by the star rating of the unit you book. The building was originally a hotel so the floor plans are simple, every room has a balcony but the majority do not have a view of the ocean. Very clean and secure. Definitely a basic kitchenette, not for those who really want to be able to cook during your stay, but again this could vary from unit to unit. The unit had AC but we prefer not to use AC and there was a floor stand fan but unfortunately it did not put out hardly any air at all so we used the fan on the AC unit in order to have air movement at night. During the day you can have the doors open and get plenty of air movement. Overall we had a good stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The star system is used in this instance to rate each room individually and determined by how much u...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Checking in was ok. Review when I first booked room stated a queen size bed and a sofa bed! So I thought it was good size for me and my family but didnt expect just a regular sofa chair! The view was great but once I used the shower it would turn really hot and when I tried making it warm it turns icy cold! I asked if someone could check it and when I returned it was still the same! Parking is terrible way give your guess a parking pass if there isn't enough parking! No room service and it states that you're responsible for any neccesities after you run out of it! So we used the same towels the whole stay! I was not at all pleased with my stay because I spent almost $500 for a room & it was on the third floor! No more will I do business there!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank ladyJ2007
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We just spent 3 weeks at the Kona Islander. Our room (unit 228) was all I hoped it would be for the very affordable price - clean, freshly panted, quite, good bed and most important to us, convenient to everything downtown Kailua-Kona has to offer, mainly to the Coconut Grove Market Place where our son just opened GetSum' Pizza (check out their NY style pizza - Yum!). The grounds are beyond beautiful and the grounds keepers do an awesome job maintaining them. The pool and pool area was always clean and the big barbecue grills were great since the room only has a microwave & toaster. I realize all units are not created equal but we were very happy there and would recommend it to anyone just wanting a place to rest up for days filled with Kona's Aloha spirit. We rented from Gayle at Kona Condos.

Room Tip: Get pictures before you book of the actual room you will occupy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple