“Convenient location”

Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We stayed twice- once for 3 nights on arrival & once for 1 night before leaving the island. The second time we got an upgraded room with a side view of the ocean & we could hear the waves. The first room was not as nice but adequate. None of us liked the free breakfast so we went to the great Lava Java down the road twice.

Room Tip: The ocean view room was worth the upgrade
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed just one night at Uncle Billy's right before moving to the Orchid for a conference. I was really happy I did. It is one of the most affordable options in Kona and it is really all that I needed. Uncle Billy's staff is very nice and friendly. The room is super basic, but honestly...that's all I wanted. No frills. Just what I was looking for. And happily, it had been updated with new bedding and was pretty clean.

The location is awesome and the nearby free parking is nice.

I do have to say that there were still some hairs around the sink and a washcloth hanging over the showerhead that I had been left behind by another guest. These things should definitely not have been missed by housekeeping. I told the Front Desk person on my way out and she seemed genuinely disappointed to hear it. Hopefully, they keep improving! I will still return.

Room Tip: I prefer the higher floor to get be above the family activity at the pool, as opposed to across from...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Leslie W
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Easy walking to a couple of sites and restaurants. Plenty of room to move around in our room, but carpet was old and smelled musty, but had to keep windows closed while we were gone because our room was on the ground floor. we had no balcony or outside sitting area for our room though the other rooms had them.
The breakfast was a joke, plain bread, little containers of jelly and fake butter, papaya, and canned pineapple. The farmers market just a block away was selling papaya for 6-8 for 1$.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on second or third floor. You'll have more secure outdoor space and maybe a view...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rita M
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I had heard the hotel had been recently remodeled. Our room was large enough, the bed comfortable, the bedding seemed fresh, carpet didn't look new however the room was recently painted. The breakfast was marginal. We supplimented with our own cereal, milk and fruit so didn't mind that. I didn't consider it a bargain. However Kona was fun and we enjoyed the location. I would look for something different next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Followthesons
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great as a budget hotel. Nice spacious rooms with lots of furniture, microwave, fridge/freezer and balcony. All the rooms face the centre pool and reception area in a semi circle, all roughly pointing toward the ocean, so any room is fine. Decent pool. Breakfast was a little disappointing, just toast, guava and a muffin/pastry, same/similar every day but at least it was included. Very friendly staff, some parts of the hotel itself could probably do with a little attention and the air conditioning unit was noisy at night but it was absolutely fine if you're not looking for 5* and I would definitely recommend it. In a great place right in the middle of Kona, just over the road from shops, restaurants and the beach. The two big car parks behind the hotel parking offer free parking and we didn't struggle to find a space, don't bother with hotel parking although they will tell you this themselves!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We chose Uncle Billy's for its location and its price. Both were favorable. However, this hotel is in need of major upgrades and refurbishing so if you don't want to walk on well-worn and even dirty carpeting, sleep on old and very soft mattresses, don't stay here. There is so much to be done that it seemed plausible to us that Uncle Billy's is awaiting, as Bruce would say, the wrecking ball. On the other hand, the staff are nice and genuinely helpful and friendly. However, I would not stay there again even if for one night while awaiting a change over in resorts as we did this time.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter S
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Our room had just been renovated and just fine. If you are looking for a good budget room this it. Continental breakfast was ok. Nothing special but only one fruit choice. Swimming pool was great. No complaints would do it again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple