“alright for one night”

Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
“alright for one night”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here the night before we flew on to Maui. It was convenient and not as expensive as many other places. We got what we paid for. I would not have stayed for more than one night since the facility is older and in need of updating. It was alright for one night though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mcgman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
istanbul
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a very central hotel in the middle of the downtown. It is very close to all local attractions, and all bars&restaurants are in walking distance.
The hotel is a very old hotel. The rooms are spacious but everything is very old, so rooms do not look very clean.
Parking area is big and it's fairly cheap.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Millinocket, Maine
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Uncle Billy's was perfect for my wife and me. Central location made it perfect for us to get to restaurants, stores and the public beach and public pier. Pick ups for tours were nearby, although not right at Uncle Billy's doorstep. We were upgraded to an upper floor room with balcony at no extra charge which we realize my never happen again, but it was appreciated and my wife loved the view. A great farmers' market was less than a hundred yards from our door. One drawback was the lack of a micorwave for heating food. We did have a refrigerator, a coffee maker and a hair dryer. We are going back for a couple more days at the end of our Hawaiian vacation.

Room Tip: The upper floor rooms in the center have the best views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Weatherbeast
Victoria, BC
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We rented a room here for the day only as we had to check out of the resort we were in and had a late flight home. The staff was helpful and polite. The room was ready when promised. Normally the charge for parking is $5 but the fee was waived. The hotel is right in the middle of town. We had a lovely lunch nearby,did some shopping and sight seeing,had dinner right across the street and then came back to the room for a shower and to get ready for our flight. This day was one of the highlights of our trip.

Room Tip: Request a room with an ocean view on an upper floor. I think it would be quieter with less street an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HappyTravellers1011
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst visit Big Island & found it very convenient & a good price for size of room etc. We had pre-booked but room wasn't ready when we arrived so had almost an hours wait but sat in reception using free wi-fi. Very handy to shops & market & within walking distance to other areas if you want to explore. Room was very clean & tidy & great to have a balcony so we could sit outside. Breakfast was basic but plenty & included in the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank quatro09
Beachmere, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on a 2 night visit to the island. Room was very large (we had "partial ocean view" on 3rd floor. Could only see a tiny glimpse of ocean, but overlooked pool and street so we were happy. In amongst all the shops and nightlife so easy to walk around and come home after a few drinks. Room was clean, comfortable, I think all rooms have a balcony.
Parking was $5 and there is plenty of room, well worth it to know you have somewhere to park.
Boss Frog's is next door they rent snorkelling gear etc and the guy was super nice and helpful as to the best places to snorkel.
Breakfast was okay, just toast/muffins and some paw paw but filled us up.
Pool was nice and well used by families.
Laundry on every floor but only open 8am-8pm so make sure you get it done before you go out for dinner!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheAussieBeachBums
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I flew into KONA and needed somewhere to stay as I hadn't pre-booked and thought I'm sure they'll be somewhere available. I stopped into this one and found that it was reasonably priced $75 per night and I thought, that was ok, but their might be somewhere further on a little bit cheaper. So I wandered off thinking this place would be my back up plan...anyways, long story short, there were others available, but I was finding what hotels advertise, aren't exactly what you pay (is this an american thing)...hmmm...anyways, I ended up going back to Uncle Billy's Kona and said i'll have that room, in the meantime, shifts had changed over, and their was a new lady on the desk, who was kinda defensive, and she advised that their were only the more expensive rooms available...by this time, I just wanted to shower and sleep, so I just took what they had. I ended up payig $104 for the room, after taxes and parking...I wasn't very impressed, but was over it and wanted to sleep after a 12 hour flight....anyways, would I recommend this place....well, facilities were average, pricing was ridiculous, room was sleepable....would I stay here again, definitely not for that price...I'd prefer the hostel/backpackers....

Room Tip: Smile at the receptionist, she might give you a good room....good luck... :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 613PaulaF613

Travelers are raving about these Kailua-Kona hotels