“Don't stay here unless you're a local”

Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Hilo, Hawaii, United States
“Don't stay here unless you're a local”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Came here from Hilo where my husband and I live for a night in Kona to get away from all the rain that we have been seeing lately. We never book ahead but like to stay in different places just to get a variety. We came to Uncle Billy's and stood in line behind 2 native Hawaiian females (my husband and I moved here a year ago so we are not native Hawaiians). The lady at the front desk (can not remember her name) told the 2 ladies that there were 2 rooms left for the night before they were booked, so they chose which room they wanted and gave them a rate of $75! Never heard of it being that cheap so my husband and I were hoping the last room available would be the same price with the local rate. We waited for the ladies to pay and walk away. My husband walked up to the desk and waiting about 2 minutes before she even spoke to him, meanwhile she was talking to someone who had come visited her and they were just talking and laughing and ignoring us completely. When she finally did acknowledge us my husband told her we would like to book the room remaining for the night, to which she replied "we're booked, no rooms left." I was shocked, my husband got flustered at her rudeness and walked away so I walked up to her and told her that I had just overheard her tell the 2 ladies before us that there indeed was a room left. She replied by staring at me and saying, "Nope, we're booked, that room is for someone else." I wish I had gotten the lady's name because I would have called about it. Just goes to show you that even when you live in Hawaii and are a local, doesn't mean you will get treated with aloha. Will never go here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Amy A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We needed a place to stay because of a late night flight so we booked a day at Uncle Biily's.Oh dear God, I would have preferred sitting on a bench in the park! When I made the reservation I not only asked via email but called to make sure we could get an early check in. They said to come by early, get registered and we would probably have a place by 10am. To be doubly sure, I even stopped by the night before.
Well...despite the fact we watched folks check out and maids cleaning rooms the terrible person behind the counter at registration refused to check us in. We went back 4 times to check. Finally when a large group of kids arrived and each of them checked in and received a room, we went back to the desk and asked what was up with this situation because clearly rooms were available. Long story short, no explanation just gave us a room, (which the key was not programmed for) and that was that. We got in at approximately 1 or 1: 30. Since we had lots of time to kill we hung out by the pool which is disgusting with broken and filthy lounge chairs to boot. I can't think of one positive to say about this place other than its right in town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa F

Travelers are raving about these Kailua-Kona hotels

Ventura
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel is old and getting a bit run down, but I picked it for the location and the price. The grounds are beautiful, but the main thing, it's directly across the street from the Kona Marketplace shops and beach access. I flew into Kona, took a shuttle to the hotel and was on foot for the rest of my stay in Kona before my girlfriend picked me up and we sped off to the other side of the Island. I could easily walk anywhere I wanted to go (including the grocery store). Uncle Billy's offers kamaaina rates and they offer a discount if you stay 2 nights or more. I was very happy with my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Penryn, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

At first we thought it quaint, but then started noticing the lack of maintenance. Seems the only thing kept up were the grounds which were lovely. Location is the only reason I would give it an average rating since it is right downtown Kailua which is a lovely town on the bay. Don't expect a real ocean view, only partial. Still and all, we had a great time.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, and it looks like all rooms had a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

One of the cheapest in Kona and great quality! Located on the main street, 1 minute from the ocean (but beware - in Kona downtown it's difficult to swim in the ocean as there are no real beaches) has a swimming pool. Good breakfast in the open air, pay phones and soda machine on site. Room quite spacious, with a coffee maker, balcony.
Minuses: We had to wait some 30 minutes for the room even though it was after 3pm. Car park costs 5$ (but I understand why). USE CAR PARK NEXT DOOR – IT’S FREE.
In sum, worth choosing :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Read through the other reviews and you will see the same thing. Yes, This place could definetly use updating as of july 2012. It could probably use new linens and a thorough going through. But I also paid less than half what most of the other hotels were charging in the area and for that I was happy. If your really looking to see Hawaii, You wont be in your room that often anyways. This place is great for the 18-35 age group that can look past the cosmetics and enjoy the real value and the AMAZING location. This place is one of the only hotels in the downtown area. A quick walk to all the shops and activities. The breakfast is limited, but you do get fresh local fruit!!! If your looking to impress, look elsewhere. If you want to spend your money on the fun stuff. Uncle billys is great.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms on the higher floors, They have better privacy and better views. The elevators ar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I can't believe that anyone rated this place above "poor". The room was dirty and not maintained. The sheets were too small for the bed. There were three different kinds of tile in the bathroom. The bathroom was dirty. The walls were dirty. I didn't even care that it was run down and not maintained. Cleanliness is most important and this place was filthy.

• Stayed January 2013