“Nice budget hotel in great location”

Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
New York City, New York
“Nice budget hotel in great location”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by this budget hotel. Landscaping was beautiful, location was perfect (walking distance to shops, restaurants, beach). Bathroom was a little run down, sliders to the balcony didn't work well, AC was a little loud, free breakfast was a little sparse, but overall good value!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jennifer H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Marshfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Well, yes. You do get what you pay for! I did not realize this place had no air conditioning on a steamy night in June. The ceiling fan was not over the beds so basically we sweated in misery! Which would be okay if it weren't for the loud street noise (we were second from road) ! The good thing is it got us up and out early to start our vacation driving around the island. However, we saw a cock roach while packing to go. Another reviewer mentioned tired paint but the whole place needs serious cleaning and renovating. The staff was indeed friendly and the location is great but I won't be back. Sorry Billy.

Room Tip: If you must stay, get a room away from road above ground level.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Wendy M

Travelers are raving about these Kailua-Kona hotels

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Rooms are rather dated and well worn though typical for mid price range accomidation.
In Hawaiian style staff are frendly and willing to do later check out if the room is not required that day.
This place folks is all about location right on top of the shops, a short walk to the water.
There's a pool and breakfast is included

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank HeatherClifton
Toronto
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We arrived in Hawaii late in the evening after a very long flight and needed a modestly priced place to stay for the night - our expectations were not high. Well, you get what you pay for....Uncle Billy`s beckons back to the long gone era of the `50s motel (as one reviewer put it), and it looks the part. The place is in desperate need of some tlc - from window screens with holes in them, to mold growing in the washroom tub and sink, to comforters that look as dated as the condition of the place. Our room had what appeared to be a kitchenette, with counter, sink and cabinets - the sink was inoperable, and the counter and cabinets were rotting. The room had poor venitilation and the entire place smelled of mildew. Unless you are on a shoestring budget andéor adventuurous, I would steer clear and spend the extra dollars to go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yogi97
Netiv HaShayyara, HaZafon, Israel
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Although Uncle Billy's is as downtown as you can get Kailua-Kona wise, it's a quiet hotel with village like charm. Alii Drive is 5 yards away but I was never bothered by traffic sounds, moreover, I heard and smelled the sea and wind through the palm trees. Breakfast is fresh and sufficient and served early, which is great since you wake up naturally at 5.30 anyway (time difference to CA). Very convenient parking at the back for a fee of $5 a day plus tax. The room with king bed was roomy enough to walk in although I would have liked to find some more closet space. For the price you pay it's a fine hotel at a great location.
This hotel gets 4 dots instead of 5 because I'm not very sure how much cleaning the maid really did on our room every day, strands of hair left in the tub in the morning were found there at night in the exact same condition and position.

Room Tip: Ask for frontal ocean view. During our stay no A/C needed, just some sea breeze...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ofrit B
HiloBayHotel, Manager at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Aloha Ofrit B

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; we are conveniently located in the heart of Kailua-Kona, close to everything downtown, offer great amenities (such as free continental breakfast and free wifi), helpful friendly staff, and reasonable rates. I’ve made our management and housekeeping staff aware of the issue mentioned in your review and they will work to be more diligent and thorough in the future.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My wife's family has known the owners for years. Uncle Billy's is not about pretense or amenities. It's a Kona hotel with a classic Kona feel. The rooms are good for what hotel rooms in a beautiful location are meant for: sleeping. Kailua Town rolls up the sidewalks early so you will get a peaceful sleep as you hear the waves crash on the shore.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor room so you can enjoy the morning view of the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gordon808
HiloBayHotel, Manager at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Aloha Gordon808

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; we’re not the fanciest hotel around but we aim to please and we’re always willing to go the extra mile for our guests. The Big Island is a laid back kind of place and it’s always wonderful to visit to get away from it all and just relax.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future!

Washington, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I want to start this off by saying that I stayed in my fair share of hotel rooms, and this is by no stretch of the imagination a "hotel". It is a 100% MOTEL. I would compare this to any typical non-big name hotel, on the side of the road, on the outskirts of a bad town (the one you drive on past, hoping to find a holiday inn express). Although it doesn't look that way from the street, because they have very good camo, via the foliage all around. The photo's on their website are very deceiving. If i wasn't in a hurry to leave and enjoy myself I would have taken a few more realistic one to share with you fine people.

1) Door was open when I found my room and tools laying around the sink. Apparently no one told the front desk that maintenance wasn't finished. He also didn't bother to tell us he was coming back when he walked back in and fumigated us with the ACID he poured down the drain without warning.

2) The AIR CONDITIONING is VIRTUALLY NON EXISTENT. I cranked it down, and could not get it cooled off, I hate that in a hotel/motel room. I shouldn't complain about the broken ceiling fan, since there usually aren't fans in motel rooms.

3) IT WAS DIRTY AND SMELLED OF MILDEW. I know the location is by the sea in a humid environment, but my other rooms in Hawaii were immaculate. This is just uncalled for.

4) NO ONE WOULD BRING US CLEAN TOWELS. I am traveling with my wife and daughter, and women need plenty of towels (I could personally use one for a couple of days). When I asked for a fresh set of towels the desk clerk seemed offended that we had used the first set, then she said she didn't have any, and when I complained she said that I would have to pick some up from the front desk after 7:30 p.m.

5) POOR EXCUSE FOR CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST. I was told by the desk clerk not to go out for breakfast as there would be a great spread awaiting me. I was, however, greeted with papaya halves, stale white bread, and stale English muffins to be toasted (they apparent'y thought a good toasting would cover the staleness). The coffee was so weak i could see the bottom of my full cup. The juices were good though. There was also a tip jar that i put $3 in, but for what I'm not sure.

There we're a few other little things, but after a while i felt as if I was just looking for stuff, so I'll stop now before you think I'm just a complainer.

You know that weird uncle you've got? Well, Hawaii's weird uncle is "Uncle Billy". He's kinda dirty, kinda rude, and doesn't understand why you don't wanna stay at his place.

Do yourself a favor, and spend a few more dollars for a nicer place.

Room Tip: This motel is in downtown, on "The Main Drag", and can be quite noisy from time to time.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Casey W
Aloha Casey W

Mahalo (thank you) for your review and choosing to stay with us at Uncle Billy’s Kona Bay. I’m very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us; we make it our goal to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us and it appears that you were not happy at all with your stay. I do hope that you informed our front desk staff of the problems that you encountered; our guests comfort is our number one priority and we do everything in our power to ensure that you enjoy your time with us. I’ve made the management staff aware of the issues listed in your review and they are addressing and working to resolve them. I must apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as far as room maintenance and extra towels are concerned; we do our best to be as helpful and accommodating as possible and it looks like we fell short.

As a friendly reminder I’d like to ask all of our reviewers to please refrain from personal insults directed towards individuals. Uncle Billy is a real person and such maligning comments are distracting and detract from constructive nature of the tripadvisor forum.

I thank you again for your review and if you would like to provide any detailed input/feedback on your experience I encourage you to email us at reservations@unclebilly.com.