“Dissappointed”

Castle Kona Bali Kai
Normandy Park, Washington
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This place is not worth the money. The unit (367) hasn't been updated, no dish washer, no laundry, dishes and cooking utensils were dirty, carpet was stained, stained and old tub, and the worst was the apparent urine stains on the bed spread.... Will NEVER stay here again and couldn't recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MrC3422
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Kona Bali Kai, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Aloha

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your concerns. I have reviewed your comments with my team. Our property does have Laundry facilities, our mountain side units do not have dishwashers. However all of our ocean front unit have this feature. Our linens are sent out regularly for cleaning. Again thank you for letting us know your concerns.

Mahalo,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Unit #306. We and another couple were late evening arrivals, service did not have our booking because Front Desk hadn't notified them we would be arriving after 11:00 p.m. Manager (Stephen) was called out to confirm our booking and let us in - he was apologetic and friendly. Unit 306 was very disappointing as it was dirty, very dated, moldy shower curtain, moldy tile in bathrooms around toilets, musty smell in kitchen cabinets, old dishes and cutlery, bed in 2nd bedroom very old and stiff, dryer not functioning. Manager addressed what he could, but could not move us to a better unit as they were fully booked. Unit 306 needs a complete renovation, and staff need to do a better job of cleaning. We saw inside Unit 305, it was beautifully renovated. On the positive side, breathtaking views of ocean and sunsets. Overall a very disappointing introduction to the Big Island (our first time, usually go to Maui), and we won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated unit on the ocean side, and review it on-line if you can before accepting it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank R and B T
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your concerns. Unit 306 had new carpet and bedroom furniture installed in September of 2013 at this time the Sofa Sleeper in the living room was completely re-upholstered. We are continuously working with our owners to upgrade units; it is disappointing the recent upgrades in this unit did not meet your expectations.

Artesia, California
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We are avid travelers to Hawaii, this being our first time on the Big Island (we're usually on Maui). We find it greatly convenient to stay in a condo, on the islands, as opposed to a hotel. And, being that we had our 10 month old daughter with us this trip, a condo was all the more convenient. We were assigned unit 334. Its across the street from the main building. The unit itself is a little outdated. It could use a good deep cleaning. Thankfully, I checked the tea kettle before using it to boil water for my daughter's bottles, its completely rusted inside. Its missing a few basic cooking utensils (baking sheets, especially). We had a small view of the ocean, from our lanai. Our view was mainly the back of the Banyan Market, next door, and the riff raff that congregates there to smoke Marijuana. Needless to say, we didn't keep our sliding door open, when we were in the unit, because the smell would infiltrate it.

When we've stayed in units, on Maui, we tend to pay a cleaning fee. It doesn't cover daily cleaning of the unit, per say, but it does apply to a swap of kitchen/bath towels. At the Bali Kai, clean towels were an added cost. If I remember correctly, $10/daily. So, you either suck it up, and use the same towels all week, pay the added cost, or go down to the laundry area. That's another thing, the unit lacked a washer/dryer, when clearly there were a couple of spots that would've been perfect for a set. All our previous units have had them as well.

One of the perks we did like about the Bali Kai was that it was a few minutes drive outside of the center of town. So, we were away from all the car/foot traffic. Our favorite thing about the Bali Kai - DA POKE SHACK!!! My husband could've eaten there everyday. I'm not in to raw fish, but they have Huli Huli Chicken and Kalua Pork Bento Boxes (both are awesome).

We will be visiting Kona again, but we will most likely look into staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: I've read quite a few reviews where people have booked units directly from their owners on websi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank mcosta511
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Kona Bali Kai, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know the details that we missed in your unit. I have reviewed our procedures with my team and assured them that we have the supplies needed for the units and we need to make sure that we replace items as needed. The Bayan Market is visited by many, tourists and locals alike, it is a very popular and convenient location. They do not allow people to hang and in their parking lot and have a party. We provide additional services both daily and weekly and just like other properties there is an additional fee, this is not a hidden cost as it is clearly included on our Website and that of our travel partners. On you next visit I ask that you contact me directly and I will work with you to ensure that you are in the best unit available.

Prince George, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We were initially excited about returning here having stayed in an ocean front condo some years ago and loved it then. This time we were not so happy. It is pricey for very basic accommodation. The unit was very dated, we had to repeat requests for supplies to clean dishes (which weren't there initially), staff had to fix WiFi and toilet (which never worked well). There is a $50 charge for cleaning fees, but our room wasn't very clean when we arrived (found dusty toys from previous guests, crumbs on the floor, dishes in dishwasher). On a positive note, staff responded promptly when we called, and the property itself is beautiful (if you can get an ocean view unit). We've stayed here twice, and we won't be back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank A and L F
Aloha,

It is disappointing that our property did not meet your expectation and that due to our high occupancy we were not able to accommodate your upgrade request for an Ocean Front unit. Our owners are continuously upgrading their units and although some items may appear dated we maintain them in good condition and in proper working order. I have reviewed your concerns with my housekeeping staff. If is very encouraging that my team responded professionally to all of your concerns. Given another opportunity our property and my team will meet and exceed your expectations.

San Mateo, California
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I felt compelled to take a moment to sing the praises of one of your front desk employees. A gentleman by the name of Antonio ( I unfortunately did not get his last name) did his unsolicited best to literally save our entire vacation. As wonderful as your facility is, the accommodations alone PALE in comparison to the kindness and sheer selflessness Antonio afforded my family and I during our stay. For years I was an assistant Food & Beverage Director for Hyatt Regency, & I can honestly say that in all of my time in the industry I've rarely had my expectations exceeded by so far as I did during this last stay at Kona Bali Kai. Long story short, by day 5 of our ten day stay I had managed to corrupt the SD card in my camera and lose nearly 1,000 photographs of our irreplaceable memories. Our strolls around the property, play time in the pool, miles and miles of beaches within miles, all whiped clean from my camera in an instant. My trip was all but ruined when, in striking up a conversation with Antonio in passing, I mentioned my dilemma and how heartbroken my wife and I were. Later that evening the phone rang in my condo. Antonio had remembered my room number from a prior conversation and called to offer me the use of his laptop to rectify my situation. Taken aback by his generosity i darted downstairs where at the front desk Antonio released his prized laptop to me with hardly a condition or prerequisite. He told me he would be getting off of work at 10 p.m. Which gave me several hours to see what I could do. Throughout the course of the night I kept checking in with Antonio at the front desk to tell him my progress. I had found various recovery softwares online that we're presently attempting to retrieve my lost photographs from the disk. It was an hours long process that I feared wouldn't finish in time. By 10 o'clock I had only recovered a handful of photographs and shut down the program, discouraged. When I brought the laptop to Antonio, with hardly a second thought, he offered to leave it with me overnight and return the following day, his day off, to pick up his computer. An offer so inconceivably above and beyond I can hardly express it in a single post. To make a long story short I toiled with Antonio's laptop over night and into the greater part of the following day, unfortunately to little avail. I recovered some photographs but not many. Antonio picked up his laptop that evening and I thank him profusely. However, all was not lost. The good news is that my camera had automatically uploaded every single photograph to an online account. I had every single photograph! The better news, almost if not absolutely, is that in this day in age there is still somebody with the hospitality fortitude and sheer good nature to risk valuable personal property, selflessly and unsolicited, in an attempt to help a guest. Thank you, Antonio and Kona Bali Kai.
The Heenans
December 9th December 19th 2013

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank jmhthefirst
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how are team is doing. We are very lucky to have a team member like Antonio. He truly demonstrated our Aloha Spirit.

Wills Point, Texas
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Our stay was wonderful, we had a great room 233 in building 3 across from main complex, so we had all the amenities (pool, sauna, shops,beach) that the main complex offered right across the street but had a private place to stay with parking close and access to our door by just going up one set of stairs with no lobby or gates. The room was wonderful with a nice kitchen with everything we needed, the bedroom and sitting area combo perfect for relaxing and unwinding after a day of fun. The lanai had a partial ocean view and overlooked a beautiful kept lawn. The staff was very helpful and friendly when we had questions or needed anything. The Kona Bali Kai is in the perfect location, just far enough out for a quiet and peaceful stay but close enough to the shops and restaurants and sea wall to be convenient. Would definitely stay there again and will recommend to anyone who is going to Hawaii.

Room Tip: Check in after hours was a little difficult so if you are arriving after 10:00 I would suggest calli...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at this resort for the first time as a referral on the 4th floor in a two bedroom condo. We really enjoyed the view and the fact that it was right on the ocean front. We were able to have easy access to viewing marine life in the little pools left by the ocean water as well as seeing numerous turtles feeding in the area by the condo, which was truly amazing. We enjoyed the grills that were there and the location overall. We were disappointed in the lack of cleanliness of our room as well as the ants, lack of blankets, hardness of the bed, street noise for the front bedroom, lack of well operating shutters on the ocean front for the view, the front bathroom shower did not work properly (water just dribbled out) just numerous items we expected to be better than they were. We were also very surprised by the non-friendly staff when we voiced concern over the ants. We were surprised by the noise of the ocean also as we had expected it to be a smooth wave kind of sound but it was crashing waves. Difficult to sleep to so much so that we had to put ear plugs in. Just wasn't what we expected. Not sure if we would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank funstlucia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
#8 of 13 in Waikoloa
Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach

Been to Castle Kona Bali Kai? Share your experiences!