Castle Kona Bali Kai
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sea Village Resort(Kailua-Kona)
Kona Tiki Hotel(Kailua-Kona)
View Hotel
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort(Kailua-Kona)
Royal Kona Resort(Kailua-Kona)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Kona Seaside Hotel(Kailua-Kona)
View Hotel
All reviewsocean frontlocal surferssea turtlesceiling fans in every roomfull kitchentide poolswasher dryerno air conditioningthrough vrbomaster bedroomcooking utensilsboogie boardsslidersking bedspinner dolphinsbeach chairslava rock
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Book at your own risk. I booked 1 night while in Kona for business. I was given a real key and told to drive across the road to building 3, room 233. Not sure what that was about as I was in the hotel lobby. She said that's where my room is, I didn't question her. I opened the door and I was in a condo, time share, or something from the past. I checked in at 4, and was gone by 5. Roaches runnng on the kitchen counter, lamp at nightstand did not work even though I switched out the light bulbs, iron without ironing board, wi fi did not work even though I had the code and the front desk couldn't help. Tube TV from the 80's. Paint cans in the closet. Sliding glass door did not slide. The bath towel in the bathroom had holes in it and was months past its lifespan.I sat at the end of the bed determined to make this work since I had already unpacked for the evening. I was sinking as the bed formed a "V". The damn bed was broken! I called the front desk to help with the internet. She said only maintenance can help and they'll be in tomorrow. It was 4:45 and they were gone. I was pissed. I requested a refund. I asked her why I was not informed when I booked, via their website, or when I checked in that this was a condo. Her answer, "did you book it through Castle or our website". I booked it through their website but what does that have to do with anything? This is an example of local properties taking advantage of guests because there is no "chain hotel" competition in the area. If this town had reasonable chain competition, this bait and switch stuff would not go on. I travel six times/year to the Islands for business and the accomodations are the worst of any region in the US. Trying to find a decent room for a night without putting my company under is very difficult. Shame on Castle, Bali Kai, or whatever name they're using for major neglect to their property and their guests. The front desk lady did give me a refund with a receipt on my credit card. She was not to blame for this terrible experience. I was just glad I did not have to go back and forth for a refund.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank dcjw700
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Kona Bali Kai, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Aloha,

It is disappointing that our property did not meet your expectation. Our property is clearly listed as a “Condo Resort” in multiple locations so there is nothing misleading that justifies a bait and switch implication. As to going across the street our Condo Resort consists of seven buildings, two on the ocean side of Alii Drive and five on the mountain side. Our owners are continuously upgrading their units; although some items may be dated we maintain them in proper working order. I inspected the unit after your departure and found the Wi-Fi to be working properly and the light working when the wall switch is turned on. I have addressed your other concerns with my maintenance department. We stand behind the quality of our product and want to ensure that all of our guests are able to enjoy their stay at Kona Bali Kai.

Mahalo

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Kona Bali Kai room 211 has an excellent view of the perfect sunsets, right on the ocean to hear the waves and feel the breezes. The porch was perfect for breakfasts while watching the surfers. The pool was pleasant, could hear the music from the open lobby. When you get tired of the pool, just move to a lounge chair ocean front just steps away. Kitchen, bathrooms, bedroom were comfortable and well maintained. The outdoor gas grill was cleaned daily. The front desk personnel I worked with were informative and friendly. Being away from the heart of the activity in Kona was good, yet only a couple mile drive to town or shopping. Advantage is, it's not a high rise place with lots of people and noise.
We liked being close to "town". Huggo's was relaxing with live music and short table/chairs while digging our feet in the sand. Quinn's almost by the Sea was a nice start to our vacation. Kona Brewing Co has good pizza and of course excellent brew(Big Wave). If you want to dive or snorkel, Kona Diving Company is awesome! Do the night Manta Ray Dive, you'll never regret it!
Kona Bali Kai was near everything we wanted to do. We would stay here again and again and will use Kona Bali Kai when we return someday.

Room Tip: 211 is facing the ocean. Great sunset pictures include palm trees and waves crashing on the rocks.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Kona Bali Kai, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Aloha
I was please to here that you enjoyed your recent stay at Kona Bali Kai. It is good to know that my Front Desk was professional and showed plenty of Aloha. As for activities I would have to agree with you about the Manta Snorkel or Scuba it is absolutely fascinating. I have done this many times and always recommend this activity. On your next trip try something really close, the Poke Shack is right here on property and has to fabulous local grinds.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in 207 and its a very nice unit. This unit has a washer and dryer, dishwasher, and everything you need in the kitchen for cooking. Comfortable king bed and two bathrooms. We listened to the surf every night, and slept great with the trade winds blowing through the unit. You are right on the water, and sitting out on the lanai on nice patio furniture for meals is fabulous. Cant beat the view and sunsets. The unit is decorated very nicely with Hawaiian touches everywhere and nice comfy sofas and chairs. Kona is close by, and really easy to get to for shopping and nice restaurants. There is a little market right across the street, and a surf shop in the complex to rent boards or snorkel equipment (Millers). This unit is in the south end of the complex, and a bonus for this unit is watching the surfers at Banyon's directly in front of you, You dont have to carry your surfboard far. Lots of sea turtles too. Staff friendly and helpful. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha,

Unit 207 is one of many units that have recently been upgraded. From your posting I would say that you agree with the owners selection of décor used for their upgrade. On your next trip to The Island of Hawaii give us a call and if available we will get you into the same unit. WE look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a nice condo on the south edge of downtown Kailua-Kona on the Big Island. Castle Resorts manages this resort condo at present for individual owners of the various units.

We were show two rooms that had BIG differences in decoration and furniture quality because of different unit owners and their desire to manage upkeep. One was run down, worn and scary.

The second one was much better with the only problem of an old tired refrigerator that spoiled our food and a hot water heater too small for more than one shower every half hour.

This are nice big 2 bedroom and bath units. One bedroom had an king bed, the other tiny single beds OK for kids.

The pull out sofa bed, not available in all units, was HORRIBLE. My back is still getting over it.

The rates were fabulous on our off-season stay and the Jenn Air stainless steel grill available for guest to use along the water front were super!

Close to town and activities. Pay for ocean view. The street side of ALL units can be noisy there by the main road.

Room Tip: Get the ocean front rooms. If you don't like the first room they show you - many are dumpy from neglectful condo owners - then ask them for an alternative.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Kona Bali Kai for nine nights, and it was very pleasant. The place was clean, the staff was very helpful and the view was awesome! We did however have one little problem which was addressed immediately! It is close to a nice beach called the magic sands and not too far from the town, which was where all the restaurants and stores were. If I go back I most likely would stay there again, because it was a nice place to stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 306, which was quiet, except for the sounds of the ocean waves, that kinda just lulled you to sleep. The view was spectacular, and we were kinda centrally located to the pool and beach areas. There wasn't any air conditioners, but really didn't need it, just the breeze from the Pacific ocean and ceiling fans.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends