“Great view, ok condo”

Castle Kona Bali Kai
“Great view, ok condo”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The condo has an amazing view from the lanai. The tables both only sit 4 people although the unit is rented for 6. The interior is dated. The 2 nd bedroom has 2 little twin beds and the pull out sofa is quite uncomfortable. It sleeps 6, but only 2 people really enjoy their night. There is no ac at all and stand up fans would be a great help. The washer/drier didn't work and after calling maintenance twice, it still wasn't fixed! The kitchen is pretty well equipped. There could be more dishes, bowls, and silverware so as to not have to run the dishwasher after every meal. Also, basic supplies such as oil, aluminum foil, some spices would be great. Overall, for the price, you get a decent stay, but there need to be some updating to the interior.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Delmadisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Hawaii
Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you''re looking for a one or two bedroom place to stay right on the shoreline, which has a full kitchen, baths, washer/dryer than this is the place. Stayed here before, this time with friends that booked rooms also, they all loved it and plan to be back next year. Let the sounds of the PacificOcean provide you with a tranquil sleep. Note the Poki Shack on property is a favorite to locals and visitors alike...great place for some choice Hawaiian food.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view so don't worry.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DaPheonix
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Kona Bali Kai, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
It is a pleasure to hear that you and your friends enjoyed the incredible view and refreshing ocean breeze. We look forward to your next visit with friends and family. Thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed for about a week in April, check in was easy. It was nice to have a fully stocked kitchen, full oven, full size fridge and microwave. Nothing fancy but clean. The grounds were very well maintained. We didn't book an ocean view room, and were wishing we had. We had a room in the building across from the main check in. If you have mobility issues you may not want to want to stay as there are no elevators in this area (except in the main building). since the pool was located across the road, to use it we had to cross the busy road. Also since we were facing the main road it was very loud and the road is very busy with traffic during the day (and the windows are very thin). Not good for taking a nap if needed during the daytime. Also the air conditioning in the unit was very loud so (and on a timer -can turn on for an hour at a time) was unable to operate this at night. Even in April the temperatures were very hot, when the air conditioner was on, we had to turn up the volume on the tv very loud in order to hear over this. The balcony also was a bit scary to stand on, as the whole balcony was slanted a bit downwards. There were also lots of tiny ants in the kitchen and bathroom, we had to be careful not to leave any food out or any toiletries (I kept my toothbrush in a Ziploc).

Beautiful front area with lots of sea turtles around, lawn chairs to use on a grassy area, so nice to read here, with great view of sunset. the area is a bit rocky for swimming, but there were some people out swimming/snorkeling.

The cleaning service was done once while we were there, which worked well for us, we just need to make sure to take out the garbage and wash the dishes every day to prevent the ants from crawling over dirty dishes.

We rented a car, which I think is best as it would be a long walk to get to some shopping areas, and the area is very easy to navigate. There is a walmart/Costco to stock up on food for the week within easy driving distance. Fast food: wendys, kfc, jack in box. Lots of restaurants on main road.

We took the circle island tour, which picked us up from the condo. A very good tour (it was nice not have to drive as the road around the island (for part of it at least) is very twisting ( so was nice not to have to drive for one day). It was a very long day (12 plus hours) but worth it. Went to volcano nat park (lava tubes), to hilo etc.

Most of the beaches near the hotel are fairly rocky, we drove to the beach at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park, it's a bit of a walk in but a nice quiet beach. Also though it is a fairly long drive (40 minutes?) to the Hilton, as you can use the beaches (nice and sandy), there is a shower area and nice beach (with lots of developed area this way - restaurants, stores, golf).
The big island is a nice place to visit, but if you want nice sand beaches (might want to go to different island) but if we do go again we will stay at a different hotel.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, spend a little more and choose an ocean view room. The view from those rooms ar...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cheska47
Aloha

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. It sounds like overall your expectations were met. Our units are upgraded on a continuous basis; I will look into your concern about the noisy air conditioner. In our efforts to be a green property we do have some units with timers, this is mostly to keep the A/C from being left on the entire day when the unit is vacant. On your next trip to the Big Island please contact me directly, we have some beautiful beaches around the island but especially on the west side. Hapuna is consistently rated as one of the top beaches in the world and we have many others in the area and some great snorkeling.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My family of six stayed 7 nights at Kona Bali Kai. We really had a great experience in the two bedroom, two bath, kitchen, ocean view accommodation. The two queen beds were perfect! The kitchen was amazingly well stocked with cooking utensils and lots of nice kitchen ware. Really saved us $$$ on breakfast and lunches. We enjoyed the extras they provided such as beach chairs, boogie boards and even a beach cooler to keep our drinks and lunch cool. I especially liked the dishwasher and fridge that ran very quiet. Staff was very nice and helpful. The balcony is one of the largest I've seen, easily accommodating all six adults. So close to the ocean, we never got tired of hearing the sound of waves. The local surfers were amazing to watch from our balcony. My only suggestion would be to give patrons free access to their printer for boarding passes through their wifi. Over all, we all were very impressed with Kona Bali Kai.

Room Tip: The extra bathroom is a real plus.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TrampolineWorld
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Kona Bali Kai, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Aloha,

It is always a pleasure to hear about our guests enjoying the incredible view, refreshing ocean breeze and professional service from our team. Thank you for letting us know that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to your next visit at Kona Bali Kai.

Bend, Oregon, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Based upon my read of the other reviews for the Kona Bali Kai rooms managed by Castle Resorts and my own experiences it is appropriate to say that this complex is poorly managed. From the less than welcoming reception to the inattentive general manager the folks employed here need basic training in hospitality and guest services.

If you are like me and have limited vacation time each year, then you also likely value staying at locations where the staff understands the basic concepts of guest service and quickly resolve issues with minimal disruption.

Two specific examples of poor guest service and management are detailed below:
1) Several people in our group checked out beach towels from the front desk for a quick swim in the ocean. Upon turning in the towels 2 hours later, the receptionist (same person who had checked out the towels) stated that the towels were not Kona Bali Kai and proceeded to interrogate two members of our group and accused them of turning in the wrong towels. Receptionist eventually backed off and took the towels but the twinkle of distrust remained. The next day, same receptionist informed our group that a load of towels from another resort was mistakenly dropped off at the Bali Kai. No apology or recognition from the receptionist that she was in the wrong.

2) Upon checking into our room we quickly identified that the coffee table glass was cracked. Also noticed that the glass had been incorrectly installed and there were three dead cockroaches clearly visible throughout the room (see pictures). Called down to reception with in 20 minutes of checking in and that is when the fun began. Over the course of 3 hours we were questioned (interrogated) three times on how the piece of glass had been broke. How the heck should I know, we just entered the room. Receptionist said the room had been thoroughly cleaned and inspected on the day of arrival, guess the dead cockroaches aren't on the list of items to clean.

The next morning we were informed by reception that we were going to be charged for the broken glass. Went down to reception to resolve and were told that the general manager wanted to speak with us and he would be back on Monday. "He will contact you to discuss". Monday came and went with no contact. Stopped by reception on our way out for the day on Tuesday and were once again told that the GM wanted to speak with us.

Well, check out day came without the promised contact from the GM. As we handed over the keys, reception handed us the bill for the broken glass. The amount was not substantial so our group decided to pay (management already had a security deposit anyway) and get on with our vacation rather than once again face the interrogation of the Kona Bali Kai staff. Funniest thing was when the receptionist offered to have the GM talk to us to discuss the situation. We declined and headed off for a superior experience at the Mauna Lani resort.

Quick note on the cockroach pictures. I took and have included these photos to point out the poor job in cleaning and inspecting rooms. Hawaii is a tropical location with many critters around. It is expected to encounter these critters during a stay on the island. Three dead cockroaches laying on the floor in a recently cleaned and inspected room is a clear evidence of a poorly managed property.

Room Tip: Recommend going through VRBO, review photos and connect with owners to get the quality of room you n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Jonathan S
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to outline the inconveniences during your recent stay. We are very sorry for this experience and are disappointed to learn that your visit was tarnished. All things considered, we should have been able to meet your expectations with satisfactory accommodations and the level of service that you would expect. I apologize that both my team and I did not fulfill your expectations. The your unit was cleaned and inspected the day before your arrival and because it was vacant on the day of your arrival it was inspected again and there were no broken items in the unit upon check-in. Again thank you for letting us know about your recent stay, we will use this information to provide better services to you on your return and our future guests.

Walteria, CA
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This unit has the best of everything...30' from an ocean front view facing west. Upgraded furnishings, 5 ceiling fans provide cool tropical breezes, full kitchen, washer dryer, dine and nap on the lanai. Watch sea turtles, dolphins, whales in the winter, island birds, surfers, para sailors, kayakers, zodiacs, trimarans and much more without leaving the comfort of the lanai.
A true place to unwind, relax and vacation.

Room Tip: Castle' s unit 207 ocean front vacation home.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Pippylu
Aloha,

It is a pleasure to here that your expectations were exceeded during your recent stay at Kona Bali Kai on the Island of Hawaii. Hopefully we will have an opportunity in the future to share some more of our Island home with you. Again thank you for staying at Kona Bali Kai.

Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I got a 1 bedroom mountain view for cheap. Dirt cheap. Also I wanted to vacation on the cheap. That meant having a kitchen to cook my own meals. This place provided a home away from home that provided everything I wanted and for the price I really couldn't give it a negative review but for all the cons I couldn't give it a positive one either.

The pros:

This place had everything! Everything to clean, cook, wash, serve and even iron! It came with a little cooler you could take to the beach and a wake board (Awesome!)

Dirt cheap, on the wall behind the door was a sign that read "Average room rate 200-230$" If I had paid that I would be steaming angry because for that amount I would expect more. Luckily I paid roughly about a quarter of that and got a free night thrown in. (I use bookit.com when they have their 55% off room sales and get screaming deals. Be sure you compare with other sites like expedia, kayak etc. getting the best deal is always a must.)

Perfect location: I had a car so everything was just a few minutes away. If you do not have a car everything is still within a reasonable (20-40min) walking distance. A few nice beaches, a few nice shops etc.

Loved using their BBQs for steaks.

Loved sitting on the balcony drinking home made Mai Tai's

Their beachfront area that you have access too has resident turtles and tons of fish you can look at (Turtles are protected here so you can't touch, but they are fun to watch when their not just sun bathing)

They are right above da poke shack. A place that became my favorite place to snack.

Cons: If these weren't here I would have happily given this place a very good or excellent rating (As I'm rating it as what it is, a rental condo, someone else' home you're just using, really don't expect fancy, expect basic. Anyways these cons were far below expectations.

We didn't get our midweek house cleaning we were promised so we cleaned just as much as if we were at home. (Definitely expect to do your own dishes, as I don't think house keeping covers those anyways.) But I didn't even get a midweek sweep, or tidy up or replacement of towels. I was there for 8 nights.

Don't expect any customer service. Just don't.

It was loudish, and I sleep like a bear. So although I got to bed every night I woke up at exactly the same time every morning because it wasn't quiet enough to sleep in or sleep through. (My fiance didn't have any issues with the noise.) It wasn't so much traffic(there was some of that) as much as very loud birds first thing in the morning and very thin covered windows. (On the plus we didn't hear any noise from our neighbors)

Ants. Ants would come in if any fruit or candy was left out (And believe me I maintained that place fairly well and they still came in to look around. And we were on the second floor)

Everything had little rips, tears and stains (Which again, is to be expected if your living in someone else' house but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Overall I probably wouldn't rent from them again if I could find something equally affordable that delivers on its promise of mid weekly house keeping and is a little more up to date. Nothing to wow about, but for the price it was most definitely middle of the road quality and I had a great time in Hawaii while staying there.

Room Tip: After reading several reviews I'd say the ocean front seems to please more people if you're...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChristinaZurita
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
#7 of 13 in Waikoloa
Fairway Villas
Fairway Villas
#6 of 13 in Waikoloa

Been to Castle Kona Bali Kai? Share your experiences!