“Good, but not the best”

Aston Kona by the Sea
Rochester, New York
“Good, but not the best”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for 5 days for our honeymoon over the Sheraton Keahou because we didn't want to pay the resort fee and wanted something a little more low key. We got the ocean front view and this boasts being one of the only beach-front properties in Kona, which is true. However, there was no option to really go in the water from the "beach," which is really just a long sandy patch with chairs.

We were impressed with the size of the room, which was really like a condo. It was a great value with two bedrooms, two baths, fully stocked kitchen, living room, lanai, and even a closet with a few things like boogie boards, beach chairs, and a cooler. They were a nice surprise!

The furniture is outdated, reminded me of old Florida, but the bathroom and kitchen were upgraded with good appliances, granite counter tops, etc.

Our only other complaint was that we had a phone charger missing from our room when we got back one night. We notified the hotel staff who was unable to locate it. Then we were called a few days later and told it was found. Not sure why it would have left our room or the plug where we left it. It was an odd circumstance, and we don't really know what happened, but I would let others know to beware of your belongings.

Room Tip: The ocean view is worth it!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
eagle10, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Kona by the Sea, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for your review. Our sandy area lets you relax with a good book pause for awhile and look up at our beautiful ocean or barbecue and enjoy a meal on the tables we provide. We apologize for the confusion locating your phone charger we will definitely look into the situation.

We hope you return very soon.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Loudon, Tennessee
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We booked and prepaid an ocean front one bedroom unit seven months before our visit thru Costco. We were given an ocean view unit when we checked in with no mentioned of being downgraded. The unit would have been just ok if we had booked an ocean view since the carpet was stained. When we went to the front desk to explain that we were not given what we booked and paid for, we were told to come down around noon the next day to see what could be done. The next day we were told we could have our choice of two ocean front units and to look at them and choose the one we wanted. Imagine our surprise when we went to look and there was another family in the same situation as us! They took the first unit and we hurried down to take the other unit. Now, these were both two bedroom units and we had only requested a one bedroom unit. We were told to check out of our unit, bring all of our belongings to the front desk and come back in about three hours. When we returned, looking forward to the oceanfront unit, we were told it was no longer available as a reservation had come in for it while we ere gone and they had no control over it. I protested the fact that were told we could have it and that all we wanted was what we had paid for. I was told that before I got too mad,l should listen to what they had done for us. In their generosity, they had moved all of our belongings back into the unit we had already moved out of and would waive the resort fees! I was furious, told them it was totally unacceptable to treat us this way. The ocean front unit was available when we booked it and paid for it. We were told to check again tomorrow at noon and maybe something would be available for us then. I got the manager Brian's business card and found out from other guests that he was on vacation. I called Costco and they left a voice message for Brian after confirming our situation with the front desk. The next day my husband went back down to the front desk and we were offered a one bedroom oceanfront unit like we should have received when we checked in. Brian was back from vacation while we were there and made no effort to contact us. Not once did the staff apologize to us or even seemed concerned. While they did not charge us a resort fee, we feel that it was not enough for all the hassle we had to go thru just to get what we paid for.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sparty431
eagle10, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Kona by the Sea, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for your review it will help us to continuously improve our services and product. We sincerely apologize for the misunderstandings of your room category, availability of rooms and my absence during my days off. Through my investigation I found that the ocean front unit given to you was not to your satisfaction and wanted to move to an ocean front unit that you prefered. Unfortunately a room move was not available till the next day. We are a condominium type property that is individually owned that offers a diversity of decor, bedding and furniture coincidentally we were showing you and another guest options but not for the same reason. I am very disappointed and sorry that the unit offered to you was not available when you returned for the day. Bookings has changed to where our units can be reserved within the same hour. There also was a confusion to my schedule where I was not on vacation but on my days off. I did not recall receiving a message from Costco Travel for my followup. I apologize and regret missing the opportunity to resolve the siituation while you were here.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity please feel free to contact me for my personal assistance.

Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This place was nice. You could tell it was getting a bit older, new paint and carpet would have helped our unit a lot; however, it was clean and the staff was friendly. The kitchen and washer/dryer are a big plus for reducing meal cost and luggage if you are going to be on the island for more than a few days. There really isn't much of a beach on the property and nothing is within walking distance, so you need to rent a car, but that is something you probably want to do on the big island anyway. Parking was adequate for us, but I don't know what it would be like during peak tourist seasons.

Pros: price was fair, full kitchen with all appliances, washer/dryer, clean, short drive to Kailua

Cons: nothing within walking distance, no common area amenities beyond an average pool (no gym etc)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
eagle10, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Kona by the Sea, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Aston and our owners appreciate your comments it helps us to continuously improve our product and services. We hope you will return and give us another opportunity.

Tonawanda, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2014

i can say good and bad things about our stay here but i admit the good are better than the bad. my biggest complaint is that when we walked into our room it smelled of cooking grease and when i opened one of the cupboard doors i could actually feel the grease. we were pleased with the view and position of our room so instead of complaining i filled the sink with dish soap and washed down the greasy cupboards. also the master bath had a funny odor so we kept the door shut. these rooms are not cheap and i was surprised to find the kitchen so dirty. the rest of the room was ok but the beds and pillows were old and saggy as was the couch.. great view though and convenient to kailua-kona touristy area without being crazy busy. probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gram162
eagle10, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Kona by the Sea, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
We sincerely apologize for the condition you described of your unit. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concern and improve our product.

We understand hanging on to the view but please let us know so we may provide other options we know would have been satisfactory. Please feel free to contact me directly so I may offer you my personal assistance.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were lucky to get a clean, well furnished unit for our stay. We had a partial ocean view that was fine. Gorgeous to hang out by the sea pool at sunset and watch the waves roll in. We walked into the village which was a bit of a hike. I would recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: Partial ocean view was good but full ocean view would be better.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and the great review.

Please return very soon

Lisbon District, Portugal
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The best and really only great thing about this place is its location right on the beach. Otherwise the rooms and the furniture is completely used up and old. It feels like renting out some sloppy person´s apartment. No idea why people rated this so high. Overpriced. Would definitely not go again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Strawinskyy
Thank you for your review and the opportunity to continuously improve our services and product. All our ratings are from first hand experiences and we are sincerely disappointed and sorry that we did not provide you a great Hawaiian vacation. We are also disappointed we did get the opportunity to show you other options while you were here. I am always confident if given the opportunity we can provide a unit to your satisfaction.

We hope in time you will consider returning so I offer my personal assistance in making your reservation and reserving a unit to your satisfaction.

Guest service Manager
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days while on the Big Island. Our experience was good overall but there were a few issues I feel I have to mention. The biggest problem I find with this type of property is that the units are individually owned, which means that not all units are the same but they all cost the same price. We had to switch units twice when we first arrived before finally getting a good room. The first room was 323 located in the north building with a more south facing view. The kitchen was newly updated but everything else seemed very lacking. The carpet was terribly stained and the room stunk terribly of wet dog. I asked whether any of the unit owners had pets and was told that pets were not allowed, I somehow can't believe the owner of 323 didnt have a dog though. We were given another room without a problem, this time I think it was room 221 in the same building. The units kitchen was original but everything else would have been ok, however they were installing carpet in the room above us with continual banging. We were told it would be like that for 2 days, so we opted for yet another room. The final room we were given was unit 409. This was in the south building that directly faces the ocean. This unit was updated and clean and had a beautiful direct ocean front view. We were very pleased with this unit although the bed was a bit uncomfortable. The hotel was quiet and the pool and hot tub were nice and relaxing. There unfortunately isn't much in this area within walking distance and there are also no sidewalks along most of the Ali'i drive. Overall I would recommend this place but it would be nicer if there was more of a standard between the units or if the units were priced differently based on updates.

Room Tip: Request a high floor and stay away from 323 until the carpet is replaced.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at Kona by the Sea. We sincerely apologize our unit 323 was not up to your satisfaction and we will review your comments with the owner. I am happy our staff was able to find a unit to your satisfaction and hope that you will return and give us another opportunity to provide a great Hawaiian vacation.

Guest Service Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Aston Kona by the Sea? Share your experiences!