“It's worth the money to go elsewhere!”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
colorado
“It's worth the money to go elsewhere!”
Reviewed June 27, 2007

First, let me start by recommending skipping the Big Island all together! If you insist on trying this island, spend the extra money and go elsewhere. This hotel was ranked, according to Apple Vacations, 3 out of 5, but I believe the only reason for this descent ranking is because compared to most of the hotels on this island, it is "acceptable".

When we checked in, we were given a room in the the tower which has yet to be updated....but, for a "mere $20-40 more per night, we can get in a nicer, newly renovated room...." I went up to check out the room and it was damp and reaked of air freshener. It was clearly old and worn and certainly not great. I explained to the receptionist that we could try the room out, but if I found mold in the room (as I found on last minute reviews), we would have to be switched as my husband has asthma. When I told her this, she was suddenly able to let me upgrade, free of charge. The only stipulation was that they only had a room w/ 1 king bed and a roll-away bed (we had a friend w/ us). She said the roll-away was "just as comfortable as the other beds b/c they use the same mattress..." I had my clear doubts but after 45 minutes, I was in no mood to argue. We get to the "renovated" room and found it to be much smaller than the unrenovated room, the sheets felt wet, literally, because the room was so damp, my husband and friend thought it smelled mildewy, we looked directly onto the parking lot and the "fancy" new fixtures were LITERALLY falling off of the shower wall. The roll-away bed was terrible!!! I have slept on more comfortable cots in hospitals....
So, we called the lobby, said it was unacceptable, AGAIN....they then said they would miraculously have a double, renovated room ready in the morning...I just needed to be there by noon. I go at 8:30am to switch rooms and this receptionist told me that there is no way the room would be ready until at least 3pm....She even said the other lady likely just told me that to appease me! Grrrrr!

So, finally we got moved to the third room, which was fair (much better view though). To not belabor much longer I will just list the remaining problems with this room and the hotel:

Room had ants and two other scary looking bugs!!!! I asked them to spray, they said right away, but it was never done....came in the next day and more ants throughout the tiled area, called housekeeping and they said it would be at least an hour until someone could get there, said I wanted a manager and suddenly they would be right up! Fancy that!
Trash wasn't emptied some days and given the bugs, that's a really bright thing to neglect!
They often forgot to give us new beach towels and one day they only made ONE of the beds.
The breakfast buffet (that was $16 a person) was mediocre, at best. I would not waste my money.

For good points:

-the lagoon was awesome! The sea turtles would come right into the lagoon so you can actually swim next to them.
-the location is good if you want to walk to dinner and some of the local shops
-sunsets from the hotel bar are beautiful

• Liked — salt water lagoon
  • Disliked — cleanliness and accomodations
  • Stayed June 2007
3 Thank ftcollins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Pros: The location is superb! You can park your car and walk to all the shops & restaurants. Parking is $10 a day but you can park for free along Alii Dr or across the street from the lobby area if there is space. Everything we needed was either a walk or a short drive away (Walmart, Costco, large chain stores). Snorkel Bob, Huggos Restaurant, shaved ice stand, & coffee stand is right next door. There's also 3 abc stores within walking distance. For all the avid sunbathers, there is the lagoon or the pool area. I did see a few fish in the lagoon. Other amenities: mini bar area, AC, fridge, safe, & enough cable channels to keep me happy. Room size was just right. It had everything I need minus a microwave. Overall, a nice basic hotel.

Cons: No major cons unless I get really nitpicky: I couldn't get wireless signal in my room and had to sit in the lobby. It costs something like 54.99/week or 12.99/day for internet. The king bed was too soft, especially down the middle which was uncomfy for my back. The 70/person luau was mediocre with limited buffet selection and about 1 hr of dancing. We sat and listened to music for about 2 hrs before the dancing started. I also thought Don the Beachcomber's dinner was overhyped & overpriced. Staff pretty much left you alone unless you ask for something. Everyone seemed nice enough.

For anyone wanting to save money, there are other places to eat away from Alii Dr. We ate at Dons, Huggos, Thai Rin, & LuLus but my fave spot was at Big Island Grill (somewhere by Walmart) which was half the price + larger, heartier food. But if you must, I would recommend Don's cheaper lunch menu or Huggos for nice ambience & service.

I would recommend this hotel because it has all your basic necessities and the rooms are clean & simple. Its a nice haven after a long day around the island. The lagoon & pool adds a nice touch. However, its not for people with high expectations or those who expect the royal treatment. But since this is Hawaii, you should be outdoors anyway enjoying the sun and all that big island has to offer.

• Liked — location, lagoon, pool
  • Disliked — have to pay for internet, uncomfortable bed
2 Thank mcym
hewitt
Reviewed June 25, 2007

This is an older hotel in a superb location, but it needs improvement badly. First the check in was slow because of lack of staff. I was confused as to the status of the ongoing renovation; and I am not sure that is not the way they make you pay extras to upgrade your room. Would suggest check your booking before check- in to know exactly whether it is in the tower renovated , or one unrenovated if happens to be the the case, so you know what you are paying for, rather than just paying for nothing. As to the view upgrade, ocean or partial ocean view is definitely worthwhile, as you bound to wake up in the morning with a breathtaking view. Lastly, the service is patchy and I do think the hotel needs a better management.
After all these, I would say you can enjoy a beautiful sunset in the open lounge and bar with pounding waves surging from the ocean; and having your breakfast or dining at Don the Beachcomber with open air, birds, waves and ocean views worth a big lot. The walking distance to the activity strip would beat any resort in Kona area unless all you just is just another generic resort. The proximity to airport and general stores or shops are another plus.
All in all, I would come back for where it is, rather than what it is; you do got what you pay for in this hotel.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — needs better upkeep and management
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank duohrs
Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed June 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed here June 12 - 18, 2007. I had seen the message board reviews and hoped for the best. I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in the tower building next to the main hotel. Our room 347, overlooked the circle drive of the hotel. We also had a direct view of the luau stage area as well as the pool and the ocean. We were offered an upgrade to an ocean view for a minimal fee and after inspecting both rooms we stayed with what we had been given originally and what was termed in our paper work as an mountain garden view. We couldnt tell the difference between the rooms other than the upgrade was in the main building and the one we had was in another building right next to the main building. Check in was a breeze the staff very friendly and patient.

Our room was quite nice and very clean. There was a large closet and plenty of drawer space as well as ample room for the suitcases. The room has a small bar area with coffee maker, fridge (got very cold!), sink and counter area. This was a really nice touch because you could accually put a little meal together and not be in a bathroom to do it!. We had sandwitches, chips and fresh fruit we had gotten from the market one night and after a full day of adventure we felt as if we were eating like kings and didnt have to leave the room, and to top it off they had a luau that night and we sat on the balcony and watched the entertainment. It was wonderful. Warning: the balconys would be an easy place for a burgular to get into, so keep your balconey door locked when not in use, or if you leave your room. The furniture may have been a little outdated however it could have just been of the Tiki style.....the bed was quite comfortable, no problems there either.

The Royal Kona is right on the ocean(no beach) and easy walking distance to resturants and shopping. If you have a car, Walmart and Safeway are only a few miles away. If you use the Safeway Store definaltey take a couple of extra minutes to fill out the application for the store savings card! I would like to thank the person who had that on the message boards when I was planning my trip. It saved me quite a few dollars just on pop, chips, bread, deli meat......You get the picture. Grocieries are considerably higher in Hawaii than here in the midwest. So is going out to eat. The set up at the Royal Kona with the little bar area allows you to be able to keep refreshments in the room and save a little on eating out if you like.

The pool area is small, but sufficient. I never saw the pool over crowded. No hot tub.

Sorry didnt try any of the resturants at the hotel. We walked a block down the street to a place called Lava Java. The did a good reasonable breakfast, two of us ate for about $25, tip not included. There was also a Denny's a few blocks away, by the Safeway Store. Denny's does a pretty good breakfast, but they are always busy in the morning, so dont plan to get in & out real quick! They could use a little more staffing I believe..... We did dinner at Buba Gumps a couple of times and burgers at a couple of places I cant remember the names of. We never had any bad meals on our trip.

The Royal Kona was much better than I expected and I was very happy with the place and would not hesitate to stay there again. This is not a 5 star hotel, but your not paying for a 5 star hotel either!

• Liked — The bar area, fridge, sink , coffee maket.
  • Disliked — feather pillows
5 Thank zfordgal
Culver City
Reviewed June 14, 2007

I am mixed on the Royal Kona. It is getting a bit shabby on the two side towers, but then you will get a more reasonable rate as well. The room was clean and the RK is situated perfectly for walking along the waterfront area of Kona. Also, the grounds are nice, the lanai/bar area being especially lovely.

It is not the best hotel I have ever been in, but when checking around for other places in the town it seemed to have the best mix of reasonable price and good location. Try to get an oceanfront or partial oceanfront otherwise you will face the street and the traffic might drive you nuts.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shabbiness
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank FleetingMind_7
Hawaii
Reviewed June 13, 2007

Employees at Royal Kona Resort were very courteous and helpful.Everyone there was very friendly and full of the Aloha spirit. The renovated room was very clean and the ocean front view was spectacular. The dining room personnel was very attentive and the Kona Coast Benedict was truly a delight! Our server Masako was helpful in suggesting places to see as well as where to purchase edible items to bring home. The consierge on duty during our stay at the hotel was Tanea Fernandez who also was very accommodating with our many
questions regarding Kona (Shopping,etc.). Just want to close saying that we enjoyed our stay at the Resort and will certainly be back again!

• Liked — Ocean front view
  • Disliked — None
2 Thank Shiawase
New Ulm, MN
Reviewed June 5, 2007

My wife and I only stayed one night at the Royal Kona Resort. So I cannot say I stayed long enough to really rate the property. What I can tell you is my 1st empressions. We knew going in it would be under construction. We stayed in the building under construction. The room was out dated but the was to be expected. It was also fairly clean. I cannot say anything bad about the rooms just that I understand why they are remolding. The property its self will never be 4 or 5 star. It has a 5 star location. Only a 100 yards from shopping and down town Kailua/Kona. But there isn't a beach in front which isn't that big of a deal to us. The pool is very small, and NO whirlpool. They have no plan for a whirlpool after the construction. An all in all I don't think the property is that nice when all said and done. You cannot beat the location. But don't expect too much.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank skidooman93
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!