3,322 results
All reviewsprivate lagoonalii towermai tai bardon the beachcombercorner kingocean frontmain towerthe big islandsalt water lagoonan ocean view roomshops and restaurantson the rocksan older hotelopen airwaves crashingparking feeour honeymoon
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Got this place for less than $80 a night (not including taxes) through Hotwire. I have enjoyed my stay here so far. Great bar, comfy HUGE bed, friendly workers, and pretty grounds. I was also able to upgrade my room to a full ocean view for $25 extra a night. That was a splurge for me, but now I see why people pay more for the view. It really adds to your trip and experience. I watched the sunset and sunrise from my own bed here! I also had views last night of the luau. Would definitely come back here if I had the same rates, and would easily recommend it to people. Trying the breakfast buffet this morning and I am excited about that! It's also in Old Kona by the farmer's market where you can also find the restaurants and little shops.

Would have given it 5 stars if it wasn't for the following:
$10 a day for parking
$10 a day for the internet (I don't mind paying for parking, but you charge that much for the internet too?)
picture of the lagoon on the website made the lagoon look huge and great for snorkeling (it's more of a kiddle lagoon imo)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bar and Restaurant:
BAR-
I am not much of a drinker, but decided to relax at the bar, wear a cute dress, and get some mai tais. I am glad I came here. Went for happy hour where well drinks were $5 each for tasty drinks that weren't weak, and not too strong. The mai tais were delicious and I had 2. I then ordered a rum and tonic and it was disgusting. Not the bartenders fault. I just decided to try it for the first time, and wanted to throw up LOL. Wasted $5 on that, but since I don't drink much, it's all good.

I came to the bar myself which I am not afraid to do at hotel bars since they aren't the kind of place where you get picked up on. Sat with tourists at the bar with beautiful views of the ocean. Ended up speaking with a nice lady who actually lives near me in LA so that was nice. The bartenders were also very friendly and attentive. One guy told me which snorkeling spots were good, and which were overrated. The other saw me eying the coasters and gave me 4 of them. Best souvenir for myself on this trip!

They also have all these drink samples for $15 which look delish. I think I will try them tonight after I go to Mauna Kea. I hope this bar doesn't turn me into a a drunk!

Last night I was taking provocative pictures of myself after 2 drinks!

RESTAURANT-
I came here this morning for the breakfast buffet. I had a 20% off voucher which made the $16 dollar breakfast a bit cheaper. Like someone said here, they have no pancakes or waffles. It was disappointing when viewing it, but I was up at 6:30 and really hungry so I caved in.

Just got eggs, toast, pineapple, home fries, and orange juice. They also had bacon, rice, papaya, cereal, bagels, miso soup, and iceberg lettuce. What I ate was fine, but for a buffet, it wasn't particularly great. Service was poor here also. No one gave me water until I stood up and asked for it next to where the servers were. One waitress also insisted that she would bring it to my table even though I was right next to the water fountain.

I actually didn't tip for this place. I got a glass of water only after standing up for it. I usually tip at buffets if I actually have a server, but I didn't here.

I have another 20% off coupon, but I will just save that for the bar.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The sole purpose of staying here was the proximity of the best mai-tais on the BIg Island, right downstairs at Don the Beachcombers restaurant.
The hotel room was clean, comfortable and had a balcony with an ocean view. Shower had good water pressure, t.v could be updated, bed and pillows were very comfortable.

Stayed: July 2010
JWKOI, Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2010

Thank you for the positive feedback. As you have noted, Royal Kona Resort is famous for our Mai Tai's. Our oceanfront Don The Beachcomber restaurant and Don's Mai Tai Bar are themed to celebrate Donn Beach who originated the concept of Tiki restaurants and bars and is claimed to have created more than ninety potent rum concoctions including the Mai Tai. The weekend of August 14, 2010 Royal Kona Resort will actually host the 2nd Annual Don The Beachcomber International Mai Tai Festival in which bartenders from around the world will compete to make the World's Best Mai Tai and win a $10,000 cash prize. This festival will provide a fun-filled weekend of Food, Drink and Entertainment including a special ocean-side acoustic concert performace by best-selling band Third Eye Blind.
Mahalo.

Reviewed July 20, 2010

Of the four hotels we stayed at when we were at Hawaii, this is probably the worst of the lot and it wasn't the cheapest of the four either. The room was a bit dated and the hotel didn't have a hawaiian feel to it. The room were a lot smaller compared to the other hotels we stayed at, though it did have a balcony with a view of the ocean. You will need a car to get to this hotel and also a car to get around the island too. It is not a terrible hotel, but I would advise others to look for other options, though the location of the hotel is fine.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank menome
Reviewed July 15, 2010

If you're looking for a 4-Star property, don't stay here, but if you are looking for a good "Value" on an Ocean Front property, this is your best bet in Kona. Ask for the Alii Tower (the only one that has been renovated) on the 4th floor or higher. Even the partial ocean view rooms have great views of the ocean and are very comfortable. You can't beat the prices at the restaurant and bar for ocean front drinking and dining, the Mai Tai Bar and Don the Beachcomber. The location is ideal for walking into Kona and they have a large, well-lit parking areas. This is a very family friendly, Hawaiian feel property.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank IslandPaula
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Kind of an older hotel but they've renovated it. Nice view of the ocean and you could tell this hotel was really great in it's hey-day. Had an ocean view room but also had a LUAU view room when it was going on. If you want to take a nap make sure it's not around that time! Don't buy a ticket to the luau though - it's very overrated and they have mai tais out of a punch bowl. Save your money and go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Maui.

You can walk to the Coconut Marketplace and we walked to other shops in the area and it wasn't a big deal. Great bars and restaurants in the area. If you have a rental car go to Kona Mixed Plate - they have awesome Beef and Chicken Teriyaki.

If you're looking for a great beach - this area isn't the best. You'll have to drive a little ways (towards the airport) to get to a beach worth going to. But if you're not going to live on the beach and would rather have some variety at night - then this is a good place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple