Royal Kona Resort
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort(Kailua-Kona)
Great 4.5/5
    Excellent 5/5
    Good 3.5/5
    • Restaurant
    3,097 results
    All reviewsprivate lagoonalii towermai tai bardon the beachcombercorner kingocean frontmain towerthe big islandsalt water lagoonan ocean view roomshops and restaurantson the rocksan older hotelopen airwaves crashingparking feewatch the sunset
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed December 11, 2004

We agree with the review from Nov. 11th 2004. Our room was really nice for the money we spent. The staff at the front desk were very nice. There were several cruise ships arriving when we were there. Hard to get transportation to the airport, but the nice people at the front deck made sure we got a taxi to the airport. The grounds are beautiful. The buildings need some repair, but it doesn't take away from an awesome stay. We are letting good friends in, on this great place to stay. We will go back.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
    Seattle, WA
    Reviewed November 28, 2004

The service was terrible, they were not very accomodating. No Customer Service skills at the front desk.
    The rooms were dark and dirty. Music was loud which I was not able to sleep. The lagoon was a joke. I would not recommadate Royal Kona to anyone.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
    Reviewed November 23, 2004

Just returned from 13 days at the Royal Kona-and had the same room from trip 2 years ago-which was what I requested. Had a partial ocean-view in the main building. Sure, there are some aging issues with the facilities, but compared to other hotels in the village, it is a treasure.
    Yes, they charge for coffee packets, but at least they furnish coffee makers in the room...so I take filters and buy ground coffee locally. All other hotels have similar charges for phone calls. Lanai is right at bay edge and fresh air in room is great, and so is pounding surf.
    I ate several meals here and the prices are right in line with other restaurants in the village. Service was a bit slow, but with seating at water's edge and great views, it was not much of an issue. Food was tasty and beautifully prepared.
    Had one issue with the fridge leaking--but asked desk to have it defrosted and it was fixed when I got back to room.
    Parking drops to $5.00 a day on the weekly rate.
    I will most likely return here next trip to Kona.
    All personnel are friendly and responsive--and as a woman travelling alone I find that invaluable.

2  Thank plumeria411
    Reviewed November 21, 2004

I have been to Hawaii 7 times and have stayed anywhere from $400+ rooms to $75 rooms. I believe that a lot of these negative reviews are written by people who this was their first trip to Hawai'i. You need to know a few things. IT DOES NOT not have a beach, but you need to know that beaches in Hawaii are very rocky and narrow, with HUGE waves, many are dangerous to be in. Nothing at all like the East Coast beaches. All beaches have public access, including those with hotels on them. If you want a hotel with a beach on the Big Island you need to look elsewhere (i.e. The Mauna Kea, Fairmont) and THEN you need to be ready to shell out in the $400 plus range MINIMUM. This is the deal with the Royal Kona. Yes, it is an older hotel...probably built in the early 60s. Kinda swingin' architecture (envision an Elvis movie set). If you want to guarantee yourself a good stay here, spend the money for one of the RENOVATED corner suites in the MAIN BLDG., (2 walls of solid glass..huge balconies) that should run in the $200 range depending on the season. THEN get in your car and drive to the big hotels (they all have public access) or to one of the nearby beachparks for your beach time. This hotel has beautiful views, and is within walking distance to all of Kona. It is right on the water (I mean RIGHT on) and could not be built today due to Hawai'i law. (Sometimes waves splash against the pool wall) Restaurant is decent, very open. Sometimes in the 1:30 to 3:00 range when business is slow seems that there is a staff shortage....like any restaurant at that time though. They have a great deal where for $99 you get roughly $250 worth of coupons to use on property. They have a wonderful luau on the property....best on the Big Island. REMEMBER you get what you pay for. If you want the stereotype Hawai'i hotel on the beach don't stay here, but prepare to shell out some bucks. If you want a great value, this is for you. I don't know how much small kids would like it, as this is a smaller resort. But teens could be turned loose as the main drag of Kona is 2 blocks away. It does have a pool. Lobby area is beautiful. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL...GREAT VALUE.

8  Thank Chplhill
    Bellingham, Washington
    Reviewed November 14, 2004

I just returned on Nov. 10 from an 11 day stay at the Royal Kona Hotel on the Big Island. Booked through Hotwire and had to prepay so could not move to another hotel... or I would have. Guests were mostly seniors in couples on tours. Rooms all smell (I was assigned to three different ones and stayed in the least offensive of them). There seems to be some kind of a roof problem that is causing water to run through ceilings and cause a serious mold problem, on walls, in air, in AC system. The smell hits you when you open your door... Even when I opened my suitcase at home, all my clothes stunk of mold/mildew.
    My room through Hotwire was not as described. I argued with the hotel and was moved three times... and to two different buildings, but none was really better. My view was of the garbage dumpsters and the kitchen entrances. If I opened the sliding door to my balcony, the smell of frying grease was overwealming. But this was better than the view of the parking lot or the room with black mold on all the walls and floor tile peeling up in the bathroom.
    The beds were beaten down. The pillows were foam and dirty. They gave each room two skimpy towels. The AC didn't seem to remove moisture from the air and left a path of mold along the ceiling where it blew. Long cobwebs covered with dust hung from the ceiling. I watched three long cobwebs blow around above the head of my bed for my whole stay.
    I could spend a lot of time saying more but be warned... this hotel is being offered cheap on packages because it's a mess. I saw rooms of other guests that seemed a bit better than mine (newer carpet and paint) but they still were moldy.
    I saw the Hotwire receipt when I checked out and found that Hotwire paid the hotel $55 per night for my room, including all taxes and fees... a lot less that I paid Hotwire! So I guess the hotel gives you what Hotwire pays them.
    The Royal Kona also nickels and dimes you, charging for every local phone call, and $1.50 each time you use a credit card or phone card. The coffee maker and coffee packets in the room have small print that says $3.00 will be added to your bill for each packet you use. The TV shows a total of about a dozen network, sports and news channels and several shopping and hotel/tourist channels, but no other cable or movie channels unless you pay $9.50 per movie. It's also $7 per day to park your car.... and so on. The one good deal is a $99 meal and drink booklet that you can buy to get 7 breakfast buffets, two dinners and $50 in drink credit. But be warned: the food and service are a lot like the rooms.
    I didn't go the Luau but it has a reputation for being pretty good. But it's about $60 per person and I was afraid to try it.
    I was told the hotel used to be a Hilton. It's got a good location in downtown Kona and decent sized rooms and grounds, but it appears that no maintenance or repairs (inside or outside) have been done for years. This is one of the Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays package hotels... and where United Airlines puts its crews.
    But it certainly isn't a very good palce for a vacation holiday.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member