“Great place!”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Even with some of the bad reviews...I decided to plan my wedding, rehearsal dinner and luau at the Royal Kona. I lived in Kona years back and remembered the resort as having lovely grounds and being breathtaking landscape on the Kona coast. I advised everyone coming in the wedding party to avoid the Bay tower. Some decided that it would be most cost effective to still book the Bay tower. they just figured they would be prepared for meager accomodations. They never found out how bad the rooms were...because the staff upgraded them as a result of being there for the wedding. In my mother's case they upgraded her twice for being the mother of the bride. They let my father put his senior upgrade onto my sister's reservation also. Everyone in the party ended up ocean view in the better towers. We were upgraded to the best room in the house. A corner king with a lanai big enough to live on. It wrapped around so that the ocean view was staggering. We were literally right over the ocean. We could even see where we were getting married on the grounds. We arrived in the room to find chilled champagne waiting for us. The colors in the room were nice and not hoakie at all. Certainly it was no luxery suite (they just don't have that) but it was spacious, well maintained, nicely decorated and I cannot say enough about the view! The pool and luau right over the ocean are great. The bar is pricey and the food service is slow...but it's location and decor cannot be beat. The in hotel restaurant called Don the Beachcomber, where we had our rehearsal dinner was lovely and delicious. My sister and mother had a bad experience the night before, but the restaurant more than made up for it. The wedding and reception went off without a hitch. The food they had was restaurant quality rather than mediocre banquet food. All this, and it was very affordable. I'm glad I had it all there! I was not disappointed! If you are looking for a five star resort...this is NOT for you. If you are looking for a nice hotel, on beautiful grounds that is affordable and central...this is your pick!

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank SanDiegoBelle

Reviewed January 6, 2009

I stayed at the Royal Kona (Alli Tower) for the first 5 nights of my honeymoon and we thought it was a great value for the price. If you are looking for a hotel in Kona with a great location for a great price, then this is your place. The bar and restaurant have outstanding views of the ocean, and there are plenty of restaurant and shop options right outside the hotel. My husband and I would take a walk every day to the local shops and restaurants, and because we had parking at the hotel we never had to worry about parking in town. The $10/day parking was worth it. We never utilized the pool because there are too many great beaches to visit. This was supposed to be our "middle of the road" hotel but the bed we slept on here was the most comfortable out of the 3 places we stayed on our honeymoon. My only complaint was that the shower head in our bathroom sprayed the water poorly and the shower curtain would end up sticking to me instead of to the tub. A small complaint compared to all the good things this hotel has to offer. If you are the type that never wants to leave your hotel, then this is not your place. If you want a place with a great location (walking distance to all the shops and restaurants) for a wonderful price, then the Royal Kona is a great choice.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eje10
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Stayed in January. Booked for one night and decided to come in 2 days earlier. Staff worked with me and even honored the discout internet rate even though it was impossible to get because I was trying to book the same day. All of the staff members were helpful and friendly. The room was a nice 2 room deal with the beds in another area from the living area. Great view of the bay and the top of the restaurant next door. Overall considering the location, my $115 per night wasnt bad. $10 per night parking was a little steep and I would like to see free internet but I wont cry over it. I give it an average score because it really met my expectations for the area. Oh and wait for happy hour to get your drinks. The prices go from $8.75 to $4.50

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Dixierail
Reviewed January 3, 2009

If you're looking for luxury you'll be disappointed, but if you're looking for a good quality, clean and comfortable room in a great location then this is it.

This isn't a `resort' in the sense that you hang out around the pool sipping cocktails. The bar is nice for a quiet drink after a day of looking around the island and Don's restaurant looks OK... but when you're this close to the great choice of restaurants, cafes and bars on the main street then you should really only be at the resort to sleep, park your car and maybe check out the Luau.

There are better places to swim and work on your tan on the Big Island, but as far as hotels go, this is a good one. I'd stay there again.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank The_Breaker
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Royal Kona Resort is a great place to stay in Kona. The location can't be beat--within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. Pay for an oceanfront room--the view is incredible! (Also make sure to stay in one of the renovated towers--Ali'i or Lagoon, not Bay.) There are vented wooden doors you can keep closed while you sleep while leaving the glass doors open, and you can feel the sea breeze and hear the waves crashing on the rocks all night. At the Royal Kona you can have this one-of-a-kind experience for a great value.

We had an extremely comfortable king bed with a white fluffy comforter. It was our honeymoon and the hotel sent us a free bottle of champagne, which was nice.

The doors and the lanai really make the room. It's just unbelievable. The only part of the room we were really unimpressed with was the bathroom. The sink was fine, but the shower fixtures were old and a little rusty. It was also hard to get hot water in the shower late in the evening.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar on site, which are both nice. We had the breakfast buffet one morning and got a discount because we were staying there. We didn't go back, though, because the buffet didn't have a lot of hot food (just eggs and potatoes--no pancakes, etc). However, there are a ton of great breakfast spots in walking distance. We had drinks at the bar one night--again, the view can't be beat. The sunsets are incredible. We also went to the hotel's luau, which is offered three nights a week (reviewed separately).

There is also a small snorkeling lagoon and swimming pool (no hot tub) on the grounds. There is no sandy beach, but there are some just north of the airport, only about a 10-15 minute drive.

We would definitely stay at the Royal Kona again, and recommend it as an easy base from which to explore the Big Island.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoseandTim
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We booked a room at the Royal Kona for 2 nights after US Air cancelled our original return flight at the end of 2 weeks on the Big Island., and we decided to stay in Kailua-Kona proper for easy access to the airport. I had read the reviews here, so knew pretty much what to expect.

We had a corner king deluxe room in the (supposedly redecorated) Lagoon Tower... as expected, it was large and had a great view. BUT... the room furnishings were very dreary and depressing... by far the least inviting in our entire trip, and we had (intentionally) stayed in some pretty rustic spots (I shudder to think what the UN-redecorated Bay Tower is like). The carpet on the balcony was especially shabby.

The RK has a great location, and well-handled parking. The structures seem like a good start. But it really needs a cash infusion to gut the buildings and upscale the furnishings. And that's not likely to happen, because all the money's going to the mega-resorts north of Kailua-Kona (the Four Seasons, Hilton, and the like) that to me are more Disney World than Hawaii (not that there's anything wrong with Disney World).

We had the breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant, a "Don the Beachcomber" (I suspect in name only), and it was not very good... the food, the selection or the service. The gift shop was shut down. I could never get the WiFi to work.

The hotel is in easy walking distance of the Kailua-Kona 'strip', and lots of better restaurants, such as Huggo's right next door.

The room was certainly adequate for its intended purpose... somewhere to get organized for the return flight and hit the Kona souvenir shops, but if it had been our only lodging in Hawaii, it would have been a big disappointment.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2008

We got a certificate for this hotel. One night at a Deluxe Ocean Front view and a FREE breakfast buffet for two. In the beginning we thought that everything was going to be fun until. ..we got into the room. There were NO comforters! In the brochure it shows the nice comforters while we only got white sheets. Not only that put it's dusty. A lot of things we touched had dust on it. Plus that night we all had bad dreams about ghosts. ..I really don't know if there are any but it was trippy. In the morning we were SO excited to eat breakfast because it was free and a buffet. Of course I went to other hotels and had breakfast buffets and this has got to be ten times worst! There wasn't many options to choose from. Also, on the muffins and some of the other pastries there were flies/bugs on them, YUCK! On the walk back I wanted to see how the pool and jacuzzi looked like, comes to find out there is no jacuzzi! Come on, there has got to be at least one hot tub. We were glad that we checked out the day after we checked in,

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!