“Wonderful location - Needs complete renovation”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
A TripAdvisor Member
“Wonderful location - Needs complete renovation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2004

What a shame that this hotel is right in the heart of downtown Kona, walking distance to all of the great restaurants in Kona, but has sorely been englected over the years. We were there last August from August 16th to the 23rd. as part of a dive vacation. We were quite fortunate to be able to walk across the street every morning to the dive shop to begin our days' activities, and walk home in the late afternoon. We could walk a very short distance to some fine restaurants as well. Although the view was great, our room needed quite a bit of work. The restaurant and bar areas were also in need of renovation. We are returning to Kona next month, but will not be staying t the Royal Kona. When and if they undergo major renovation, we will return. It is such a prime waterfront location, what a shame to see it deteriorate!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2004

I stayed here for 6 nights. The hotel has a good breakfast, but other meals are pricey and just okay. The hotel even charges $3.50 for the in- room coffee. Convienent to shops and restaurants on the Kona Strip.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2004

What a dump. It is an old hotel in need of renovations. Do you remember those old hairdryers attached to the wall? They had that. You have to pay for your room coffee. The mattresses are so old and dirty and creeky. Remember the old Lucy episode? The bedspreads are ancient. I tried to change rooms, but the next room was just as bad. I made a call to the manager within a few minutes after checking in and she never returned my call. Front desk later told me she wasnt in. The location is good. Parking is $7a day. Stay at the Ohana Keahou Beach. I stayed there too. Same price, with a beach with great snorkeling. Front desk at Royal Kona are not that helpful.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Kailua-Kona hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2004

We stayed May 6-May 27 at the Royal Kona, were thoroughly pleased with everything. Whereas low tourism post-9/11 has delayed some improvements, the location in town, very comfortable king bed, balcony to ocean in all rooms, excellent cuisine, many restaurants walking distance, gorgeous west-facing sunset dining, long-term experienced staff, evening entertainment, best Luau. Many desirable features in this lodging - and the price can't be beat in Kona anywhere.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2004

For the money, this place was well worth it. I had a standard room and got 6th night free. I actually had an ocean view from my room which was unexpected. The $99 meal deal was a good value and food at the restaurant was fine. The best part was the location - good restaurants and shopping were within walking distance. Everyone was very friendly and all but one night was very quiet. I will definitely consider going there again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2004

We had read the reviews that advised to get a room in the beach building. The room was ok--I agree with another comment posted that it looks a bit out of the 50's--turquoise carpet, etc. Cleanliness was probably our biggest complaint. There is quite a bug problem, mainly because the lobby of our building was outdoor. Every time you open your door bugs can enter in. The service was not bad, in that they delivered extra things we needed--towels, ironing board, etc., but the ironing board they brought was really atrocious--it was rickety and had brown stains all over it. The chairs were also questionable in their cleanlines--I didn't totally feel comfortable laying my clothes on there. Also, we checked out early one morning, and because the front desk is outdoors there were hundreds of tiny bugs all over--on the front desk, on the clerk, on me...The clerk was swatting with a towel every few seconds. We would definitely NOT stay there again. I thought we got a pretty good deal ($70/night on priceline), but in hindsight I'd say, spend a little more and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed May 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2004

We stayed here after spending two nights in Waikiki at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for $700+, and 4 in Hilo at the Dolphin Bay Hotel for $600. We paid $115 for four people for what was called Partial Ocean View. Our pictures out of that room and on the grounds are some of the best from the trip. The room was dark and like something out of the 50's but one entire wall was a glass sliding door that opened onto a balcony with the most spectacular view overlooking palm trees and tropical plants surrounding the pools and the ocean. There is a private lagoon and small beach that was wonderful and different than anything I have ever seen. Even though the Hilton Hawaiian Village is a beautiful property, THIS was "exactly" what my 24 year old daughter was looking for...resort style, pool right next to the ocean, lots of shops and restaurants but not too crowded. My husband has always said he hates Hawaii, but he loved the Royal Kona Resort and actually picked up real estate brochures to consider retiring in Kona! So if you're there for the beauty of the Big Island which is like Waikiki was 40 years ago and just in the room to sleep, we recommend it. They accommodated us not checking out until 5 pm so we could swim longer and have a place to change. Also we ate at the Beachcomber and had a delicious macadamia nut encrusted fish in peanut sauce that my daughter said was like eating a fish candy bar. Aloooha!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,143 reviews
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!