“Great for the price”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Irvine, California
“Great for the price”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel is great for the price. Great location, on the ocean, great views and the staff is excellent - friendly, helpful and warm. I stayed five nights there and couldn't have been happier. It's not the fanciest place, and could use some updating, but their price point is perfect. I would definitely stay there again. The a/c was a little noisy throughout the night, but it worked and kept the room cool and comfortable.

Room Tip: I would recommend to not have a room on the far north part of the hotel closest to the nightlife, th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Aloha TA family, here are more guests that found the Royal Kona to be a terrific value. We offer clean, well maintained rooms, manicured grounds nestled at the ocean's edge. Our views from the pool, bar and dining room and the best in Kona, not to mention the majority of our rooms have amazing views too. Glad they enjoyed our location, and that they'll definitely stay here with us again, Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently and we were both very satisfied with our choice. The location was perfect...close to restaurants and shops. From here we had easy access to magnificent sights on the Big Island. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnaK1950
Aloha TA family, glad our guests from Down Under had all their expectations met and exceeded! Nice to know they loved the views, our rooms, location, our great staff and enjoyed all the amazing things the Big Island has to offer. I'm glad to know they thoroughly enjoyed their stay, we'll definitely look forward to seeing them again. Mahalo!
Mooresville, NC
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I read all the reviews and was somewhat hesitant. I am so glad I did not change hotels. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect - close to everything and easy to get to. This is not a 5 star 5 diamond property so if that is what you are looking for you need to head north. But if you want a friendly, clean, convenience resort - this is the place. You can walk to shops, restaurants, etc. If you stay at a lot of the other resorts you are pretty much stuck with their restaurants and venues unless you drive off property. The corner king room is well worth the price, Do request the Ali'i tower. The rooms are newly renovated. Pool is nice but not very big. There is no real beach, but there are very few with any of the hotels in Kona. Tiki Bar is a great spot. We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and the hotel had a nice bottle of champagne already in our room in the fridge with glasses waiting for us on the bar.
There is a tour operator in the lobby to help with tours and information. There is a small fridge in the room and grocery stores are close by. The hotel does not offer room service, but you and order and bring it back to your room. There are a lot of water sports activities. Spa is on site in the Bay Building - Lotus - but they will want to you pay them direct and not charge it to the room. So if you go for a service be sure to take your credit card. Ocean front massage was wonderful.
Thank you Royal Kona for a memorable 25th!

Room Tip: Ask for the Ali'i tower. Try to get a room above the 2nd floor. Corner King is a great room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelagentnc
Aloha TA family, it's awesome to see these guests had such a great 25th Anniversary with us. I'm pleased to know they were able to experience and enjoy all the terrific things about our resort. From the friendly accommodating staff, to the great views from the rooms and resort, the terrific food and beverage and the ocean front massage to top it off. Please know the Lotus Center Spa will happy make room charges, I'm sorry if this wasn't communicated adequately with these valued guests. Really happy they had a great anniversary, we'll look forward to their return, Mahalo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband and I had the best time in Kona!! Whether it be by the pool, having a wine and relaxing or out exploring, we can't wait to come back! The room was great, we asked for an ocean view room and that's what we got!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank samantha_erin
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
G'day TA family, it looks like we have some more satisfied guest, these being from beautiful Sydney AU. I'm glad they had the best time ever with us, loving the ocean front pool with a favorite beverage, as well as exploring all of the amazing things Hawaii Island has to share with us. Great to know they got the ocean view room they requested, we do our best to ensure all guest requests are met, so we can meet and exceed all of our guests expectations. Glad they shared, hope to see them again soon, Mahalo!
Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My daughter and I stayed there from July 16 - 21...Our room overlooked the the horseshoe parking in front of the hotel when you check in, but had view of the ocean and the luau..Woke up every morning with my Kona coffee in hand, sitting outside listening to the birds and ocean with the wind blowing thru my hair...the most amazing feeling ever!!!:) All the employees were great and helpful, food was awesome, and the view was priceless...already planning my next trip with my grandkids..I have travelled the world... tahiti,europe,caribbean, and mexico...and by far this is my favorite hotel...and the location of the hotel is without a doubt one of the things that i like about the hotel!!! Happy Vacation!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kalani K
Aloha TA Family, I'm happy to see our guests from AZ has such a great stay with us, that we met and exceeded all of their expectations too. Nice knowing that although they've traveled many parts of the world, they find us to be their favorite hotel! Loved our amazing location, the great views, enjoying coffee on the lanai with the trade winds to keep them cool and so on. Our goal is happy customers and it's apparent we achieved our goal with them, and we'll look forward to seeing them when their travels bring them back to Hawaii! Mahalo!
jazzbbb
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Had business on the island, a local  recommended the hotel. Wow... Are you kidding me.  I dont normally write reviews but i had to say something about this place.   While i do have an oceanfront, my room is terrible.  I slept with the light on for fear that a roach might come out in the dark. The room next door looked punched in (see the pictures) the shower head was unattached and moving. The balcony is easily accessable by my neighbors.  For 130 a night I thought I was in a $50-60 motel. There are three buildings maybe each building has a different experience.  But if renovations are taking this long i need to stay somewhere else..... Safe to say i wont be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank jazzbbb
Aloha TA family, I'm disspointed to see our guest had such an unfavorable stay and concerns.We strive to provide clean well maintained rooms and grounds for all of our guests to enjoy, and to know a guest stayed with us for business had such an uncomfortable stay is troubling. A personal message has been sent in an effort to research and rectify.I'm awaiting reply. Mahalo,

Travelers are raving about these Kailua-Kona hotels

Blue Springs, Missouri
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Our Room was reserved as Ocean Front View and it lived up to billing. We had a great Lanai right outside of our room directly on the Oceanfront. Adjacent to a Sand Beach/Lagoon and a Sun Bathing porch around 50 ft towards shore. Booking whatever you want to do is available at Concierge desks and information about anything and everything on Big Island and Island Hopper flights. We did not eat at Resort, pretty pricey but very popular place for an Oceanside dining and drinks. Room was spacious and everything worked as intended. Room service very prompt and complete. Only drawback was the Nightly Luau outside of our Room. 1st night, charming, nights 2 -9 became kinda annoying. Loudspeaker systems prevented you from keeping Lanai doors open. Would definitely go back again next time on Big Island.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Rooms are just that but waves are noisy if that bothers you. Not Me! That's why I we...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boomer-Sooner74
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Aloha TA family, looks like our guests from MO had a terrific stay with us. They definitely nailed it with clean, comfortable well maintained rooms, views that are out of this world, and our pristine location on Alii Drive's restaurants, bars, shops, galleries historical sites and the Kailua Pier for water activities. Yes the luau show is 4 nights per week, great show, great food and great staff! I'm glad they shared their amazing vacation with us. Mahalo!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!