“Not a bad place for just a few nights stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Saskatoon, Canada
“Not a bad place for just a few nights stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed here just for a couple of nights and really have nothing to complain about. The restaurant is quite expensive but a great place to relax with just one drink. Building and rooms are quite old and could use a renovation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Aloha TA family, nice and to the point, I'm glad they enjoyed their few nights with us. Yes we are an older hotel, built in 1968. We continually strive to improve our resort from the grounds, to the rooms. We sell our product as the best value for the best location in Kona, offering clean well maintained rooms and grounds. Hope they had a wonderful time on the Big Island, glad they shared. Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed here for a week in April 2014. When I arrived, I found my room to be run down and dirty The paint was peeling off of the mirrors, the furniture chipped, scratched and looking as though not even fir for a yard sale. I went to use a glass from the room to get a drink of water and my glass was filthy, with fingerprints and lipstick marks from the previous user. The other glass had crud on it I could chip away with a fingernail. When I called the front desk to get some clean glasses delivered, the ones brought to my room were also dirty. I then used the plastic cups, hoping they were not being recycled the same way. The bed was okay, clean and comfy, but I cut my foot on some broken glass that was left on the carpet on the way to bed. In the morning I went to use the shower, and the tub was dirty, with hair in it. I could (and did) scrape off a full curl of soap scum from the side of the tub and decided not to use the shower/tub (I am guessing the housekeeping staff simply spray and wipe to clean rather than scrub and wash). When brushing my teeth, noticed the mirrors were dirty and splattered with toothpaste that was probably from the last customer. The sliding glass doors were covered in grime and handprints, with the words "I Love you" scrawled in the dirty surface (This was not just 'ocean spray' it was filthy). My entrance door was also covered in what looked like coffee spray.

I stopped at the front desk in the morning to speak to a manager and she was very courteous and helpful. I explained my room needed to be cleaned thoroughly and she assured me it would be done. I went to the local Walmart to stock up on rags and cleaning supplies, just in case.

Arriving back to my room that evening, the tub was indeed cleaned properly and the sliding glass windows washed, as well as the door. My glasses were still filthy, the mirrors still covered with someone else's toothpaste and I was hoping the carpets had been vacuumed so I didn't have to step on more glass. I ended up cleaning the mirrors myself and only using cups I had bought myself. I was given a small token of a discount for 'room issues' and I was very grateful as it covered the cost of the cleaning supplies, rags and drinking glasses I had to buy. I appreciated that.

At no time in the week I was there did I ever see a housekeeping cart with clean glasses on it to trade out each time a room was cleaned so I am guessing the glasses and mugs are simply wiped in room (with what, I shudder to imagine). And yes, I was looking for clean glasses being put in rooms as I know that the dirty wipe method is an old practice still used by many hotels, sadly.

This hotel has an amazing location, and the views of the ocean from the hotel are great. I enjoyed the view from my balcony. The entry way, pool areas and bars all look wonderful. The grounds are well kept and the staff is very friendly. It's the rooms that are in dire need of help, as well as improvement in housekeeping. The room was smelly, the walls were scuffed, the paint peeling from the furniture. The tub was in need of being resurfaced and the towels were cheap and small. Being made to pay for parking while being a guest and the exorbitant fee for internet use in your room is just cheap and leaves a bad taste in a guest's mouth. And yes, you can use the free wifi in the bar area, but it is intermittent at best.

This hotel has huge potential and was perhaps a gem in it's heyday, but it's fallen to disrepair and neglect. Some of the money they rake in for parking or other charges should maybe be put towards renovating the rooms, replacing the furniture and providing clean drinking glasses and supplying enough staff so that the rooms can be cleaned properly.

I will say that each staff member I encountered was n fact very friendly and helpful. The people who work here are wonderful. It is not their fault that upper management foolishly tries to make them sail a ship with tattered sails. They are doing their best, I am sure.

I will never stay here again. If you decide to brave it, bring some bleach.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank flyingsolo2010
Aloha TA family, disappointing to see such a poor review. Cleanliness is such an important topic, I'm disapointed that this guest felt we really missed the mark. A personal message has been sent to review the room they occupied, so I can personally inspect and review. As I continually state, we're not the newest kid on the block, but we strive to provide clean, well maintained rooms. I'll get to the bottom of these concerns and resolve, trust that. Mahalo.

Travelers are raving about these Kailua-Kona hotels

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have never written a negative review, this is the first.

The Royal Kona is probably the most mediocre hotel we have ever stayed in of the 24 that we have been in over the last 3 years. It is in dire need of major repairs and cleaning.

The lounge area was nice, pool was small but nice, grounds were well kept, views from other rooms looked like they may be good.

We were upgraded from an Ocean view room to an Ocean view Suite. It could have been nice if it weren't for the old lower level roof and garbage area below our lanai.
The lower level roof AC units were so noisy that we could not sit outside or leave the lanai doors open.

Old musty smell, poorly maintained, paint peeling off the walls and badly worn wood work and furniture.
The 2 towels were small and poor quality, Bed linens were mediocre, Bed was uncomfortable and bouncy.
Parking $10/day
$1.00 surcharge on local phone calls, long distance $4.00 surcharge plus long distance fees of $.90/min. up to $11.20/min. for overseas. Many other places are providing free long distance to US and Canada.
WiFi in lobby was mediocre, WiFi in room $9.95/day
Restaurant was way overpriced.

Some of the nasty pictures posted with other reviews from 2011 are just a glimpse into how bad things are getting.

It was spring break so the area was very busy, heavy traffic, partiers wandering the streets at night. It seemed that the only things to do in the area were to drink, eat and shop or go to the other side of the island so we did.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HappyTravellerCAN
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Aloha TA family, I'm truly sorry these guests really didn't enjoy their stay. they've got quite a list of things they share, and I welcome that. I just ask that those who read these review, do your homework, research, ask questions (wherever your travels take you) we are in the business of making memories, and our goal is to meet and exceed expectations. Hopefully they were able to enjoy their vacation in Hawaii, it would be a shame if they didn't, Mahalo!
Simi Valley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Although the Royal Kona has an amazing location nestled on the shore in Kailua-Kona right next to Coconut Grove on Ali'i Drive, I would not stay here again due to the dated rooms, lack of room service (as in none), and disappointing breakfast. I stayed here on my honeymoon and although we had a view of the amazing ocean right at our door, our room was in no way romantic. Everything was just old. Not vintage, a look a lot of hotels are going for and I personally enjoy, just old. There is a pool and a private lagoon but no hot tub which was disappointing. We also had to drive a long distance for most activities. I knew we did not want to stay in Hilo due to the constant rain but if I could go back, I would stay in Kohala (the northern side of the island). The landscape change is drastic where in Kailua-Kona everything is covered in lava rock and Kohala is a lush rainforest (what you picture when you think of Hawaii). I had an amazing trip and I plan to return. But I will not stay at the Royal Kona again.

Room Tip: If you really want to stay here, spring the extra money for an ocean view or ocean front room. It is...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Aloha Family, sorry to hear they weren't happy with their stay. yes it's true, you can find much more luxurious hotels up north in Kohala, this is why I preach do your homework. Make sure your researching your hotels, checking your budget, ensuring you're making the most of your dollar to enhance your vacation. We work hard to ensure we're advertising accurately, to ensure we're not overselling and under delivering. I truly hope they were able to find some great times and enjoyment while on the island, it's such an amazing island, we hope all can enjoy. I'm sorry we didn't meet their expectations. Mahalo
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a land-mark in Kona. We stayed there on an around the island fun trip. The hotel is dated but the room was clean and well cared for. The view was spectacular ( partial ocean ) , no road noise, and convenient to town. The staff was friendly and willing to accommodate. The bottom line is location, location. A very competitive choice for Kona .

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA family, nice to see our guests from WA had a great time while staying with us. They point out our wonderful location, quite rooms, and great views. And yes, while not the shiniest penny in the jar, we do offer very clean and well maintained rooms. Not to mention Kona's best bar location with happy hour nightly from 4p-6p. So glad they enjoyed staying with us, and their trip to Hawaii, hopefully we'll see them back again soon. Mahalo!
michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Royal Kona Resort, the location cannot be beat. The rooms are below average. They are very outdated, worn and many stains on carpet and chairs. Most, but not all of front desk staff are not friendly or helpful! I would most likely not return, too many other options, with other resorts in the area.

Room Tip: The best tip I would give is to choose a room at another resort!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Aloha TA family, OUCH, tough to get s zinger when we've been on a positive roll. yes the rooms are not the newest on the block. But what you sacrifice for shine, you gain the best location in Kona. Our rooms are clean and well maintained, I'm so sorry we didn't live up to this valued guests expectation, It's personally disappointing as My goal is to ensure our customers are aware of the product, and we exceed their expectations, as we do with most. Hopefully they were able to enjoy Hawaii regardless, I'm sure they had a great time exploring and enjoying the wonderful weather we offer. Glad they shared, Mahalo
Odessa, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

We spent 10 nights at The Royal Kona and were treated like royalty. We had a corner king room and the view from our balcony was amazing.Our trip over from the mainland was a disaster and we thought our holiday was ruined. But Linda Saplan at the front desk was so helpful and gracious that we forgot about the trip over and decided to enjoy our vacation. She went above and beyond to see that we had a good stay. The entire staff was wonderful.

Room Tip: Corner Suites are well worth the small extra amount. You have a large balcony and the view is beauti...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha TA family, nice to see our guests from TX had a wonderful stay. Sometimes a vacation can be tainted by an unfortunate experience on the flight, but I'm so glad our staff was able to make these guests feel comfortable and at home. We truly strive to provide and awesome experience for all of our guests. We work hard to meet and exceed expectations, and that's our ultimate goal, happy guests. So glad they shared, and so pleased our staff made such a positive impact on their vacation, all 10 days of it! Much Mahalo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,128 reviews
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!