“WOW! This place is heaven on Earth!”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Rexburg, Idaho
Reviewed March 20, 2004

Wow! We booked this hotel for our honeymoon over the Internet and could not have been more pleased! We were given a huge, beautiful corner room with a lovely balcony. Though we hadn't requested an ocean view or partial-ocean view, we got a partial ocean view. The location is second-to-none--you're within walking distance to great shopping and the ocean is spectacular! I'm not sure what the charges were, but our entire package for air-room-and car was extremely reasonable. I have booked this hotel again for a coming trip with my mother an expect the same great experience!

Lake Zurich, IL
Reviewed March 10, 2004

Resort is badly dated but previous elegance is easy to imagine. Our first room had a fantastic view but was damp, smelly and buggy. We were changed to the beach building where we had a view of the parking lot but the room was large - big enough for 2 king-sized beds and didn't have any problems with dampness, smell, etc. Would have liked the ocean view but it is also pleasant to sit at any number of outside spots to enjoy the view. Our biggest complaint besides having to pay for the in-room coffee (a trip to Safeway solved that!) was that they apparently don't have sheets that fit a king size bed. We had to remake our bed each night and the sheets were not large enough to cover the top of the mattress...certainly detracted from a good night's sleep.
The aura of the resort grew on us during 6 days there and we left with very fond feelings for the old gal.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cape Vincent NY
Reviewed March 9, 2004

We had a wonderful time, Stayed at the Royal Kona Resort, which was above expectations, the view was extraordinary from our room, and the coffee service was so welcome in the mornings. We did a lot of sight seeing, and the island is beautiful. I must say, there wasn't one person that we met anywhere in Hawaii that wasn't the epitomy of friendliness, Including other drivers putting up with us not knowing where we were going at times. And we can't say enough about the food everywhere we ate was a super experience. I'd go again...

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2004

Spent three nights, 19-22 February, at the Royal Kona. I booked my vacation via Pleasant Hawaiian, and upon arrival was told I had been upgraded from a garden/mountain view to a partial ocean view room. Fine by me! I was very pleased with the light, tropical feel of the open-air lobby and the Windjammer Lounge. I'm a vegetarian, so I didn't partake of the luau. I spent time more wisely by dining at some of the good restaurants (Cassandra's Greek Taverna, Thai Rin) located a short walk north of the property. Enjoyed a couple of the Happy Hour Mai Tai drink specials ($4). I originally booked a garden/mountain view room, which I sort of feared would have too good a view of the vast parking lot; upon check-in, however, the good news was that I had been upgraded to a partial ocean view. Bravo! The hotel's public areas and rooms have a certain dated feel -- not necessarily in a bad way. I was rather fond of the feeling I had that Charo or Merv Griffin would pop up in the lounge at any moment. My room was perfectly pleasant if uninspired. A little bit of wear on the wood on the sitting chairs; otherwise, quite acceptable and clean. And the beds were comfortable. I don't rent cars when I vacation, as I find driving too stressful under any occasion -- this is a great place to stay without a car. The activities desk is convenient for booking circle-island tours and other outings.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 10, 2004

We went to the luau at the Royal Kona Resort last month and it was very nice. The location is right on the ocean which makes a great backdrop. They have some nice crafts available for sale, but they don't push them at you as some other luaus do. The food is pretty good in quality and selection. The show is well done and fun. If you are considering a luau in the Kona area, this would be a good one to attend and they are even giving a discount to celebrate their 36th anniversary.

3  Thank Hawaii04
Reviewed January 28, 2004

We recently returned from a stay at the Royal Kona Resort, Jan 18-23. I
was a bit aprehensive after reading some of the reviews in here. Our
stay was just lovely. We stayed in the Beach building, 2nd floor, and
saw none of the signs of wear others have complained about. Our room
was fine. Some of the furniture was a bit worn and the bathroom
fixtures were showing their age , but not to the point of being dirty
or disgusting. The room was clean, did not smell the least bit musty,
no stains on the ceiling, no peeling wall paper, and no old worn
carpet. Bed was comfortable, sheets were clean, fresh towels were given
every day. Even though I had hung up out old ones to be re-used. No
critters crawling about.

From what I can gather from the wide range of opinions on the rooms, there must be a great deal of difference in quality from room to room. If you are not satisfied, then request to be moved to another room, or possibly another building. The staff was nothing but friendly and helpful to us.

The food was average. Pretty much basic hotel food. Nothing to write
home about, but not going to make you sick either. Some of it was a bit
over priced. We only ate a few meals there, because part of the fun of
being on vacation is to eat out. Many tour groups booked into the Royal
Kona Resort include breakfast and (sometimes dinner) coupons, so for
those people the price wouldn't be an issue. The Macadamia Nut pancakes
for breakfast were absolutly heavenly!

I stayed at the property back in the early 80's when it was the Hilton.
Yes, it was a much nicer property back then. Age is showing, but so is
the fact that Kona is not "THE" place to go anymore on the Big island.
Bigger and better and fancier resorts have been built up the coast in
Waikoloa. Kona's glory days are a thing of the past, much like Hilo's.

The Royal Kona Resort is a fine place to stay if your intent is to use
it as a base of operations while you tour the island. It is affordably
priced and within easy walking distance to shopping and dining. If you
are looking for a 5 star resort to stay at and be pampered, then go up
to Waikoloa.

• Stayed: January 2004
7  Thank LasVegasPatti
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed January 28, 2004

I am off to the big island again next weekend and will be staying at the Royal Kona again. Yes, it has seen better days but the rooms are spacious, front desk is good, and if you check out the rest of the downtown hotels you will see that this is most likely your best bet.
The rest of the hotels are worse!ha

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!