“Nice place, but a bit out-dated”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Kona Resort for our 21st Wedding Anniversary. Our room was in the Lagoon Tower, on the 4th floor. A King corner suite with a great view of the ocean. The room is a bit out-dated, peeling paint, bathroom is "eh", old carpets; it definitely needs an overhaul. The room had a slight odor, but just old, and it wasn't enough for us to change rooms (and I am very picky when it comes to smells). However, we stayed here, because we wanted a room with a view and a space we could hear the ocean at night...and we probably couldn't have gotten the view we did at the price we paid. Just beware...if you want modern, updated, new, this is not the room for you.

Also, this room looked out over the Luau, so if you want peace and quiet, don't book this room. It can get very loud. But I loved the Hawaiian music, and its a live show, so it has its pros/cons.

The hotel does have some nice features, especially Don's Mai Tai bar, which serves bar food and drinks. Drinks until 11pm and food until 9pm. Room service would've been REALLY nice, but they don't provide that here. We had the Mai Tai and Mojito Samplers at the bar which were really nice. The staff was all very friendly too. The nacho's at the bar are very tasty!!!!

We had dinner at the restaurant there one night; it was very pricey, but the food was very good. Not to mention, amazing views of the ocean.

A gorgeous sunset can be seen from the restaurant and the bar, every night. Seating is right on the ocean.

We stayed for 1 week. On one of the nights we had a group of loud teens next door, in their room, on the balcony, screaming, yelling, banging chairs around. Once around 10pm and again at 4am. I called security, and they handled it right away, and they were quiet after that. I think they only stayed for 1 night though.

Next time we go back to Kona, we will probably stay somewhere else. Unless this place gets a major overhaul.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

On July 2, 2013, American Airlines had to cancel AA246 from KOA to LAX due to an engine problem. About 73 of us passengers were shuttled to the Royal Kona Resort for "distress" accommodation, room and meal vouchers from AA in hand. It was midnight. As is usual around the world, the hotel requested each guest supply them with a credit card in addition to the AA voucher, for any possible incidental expenses. This was a problem for the young woman - who was traveling alone with a small toddler - standing in the line next to me. She did not have a credit card. The clerk then demanded $100 in cash, or she would not be checked in. She did not have this cash either, and was becoming distraught. She then requested to speak to the night manager. The woman, the toddler, and the clerk then went elsewhere. I am unaware of the result of this meeting. Hopefully, the night manager showed good sense and compassion in view of the "distress" situation. The front desk was strictly applying hotel policy but no "Aloha".
Very disconcerting.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Take in to account that I stayed here one night after my flight from Kona to LAX was cancelled at 9:30 pm. Despite the chaos of an entire plane-load of people descending on the front desk I felt the staff was remarkably helpful and professional. The room was clean but paint was peeling, carpet very worn and the bathroom really needs an update. The towels were thin and small. I wash my car with a better towel. I had a wrap-around lanai with a beautiful view of the ocean and the town but the 2 loungers were of a cheap plastic.

I had the breakfast in the morning. The staff was surly and not very welcoming. The only option was a $17 buffet. Fine for one morning but if staying here multiple days I would take the 2 minute walk to town and eat at one of the many restaurants there.

They charge $9.00 for Internet access as well which always bugs me.

Do yourself a favor and stay at one of the many condos in the area!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank pricklypear143
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Aloha TA Family, distressed flights are never a pleasant end to a vacation, especially after midnight when all arrive, tired, and agitated. I'm just glad we were able to accommodate the passengers that were forced to lay over 1,2 and 3 days because we are running high occupancy this summer. Although our rooms are not marble and glass, and we're certainly not the newest kid on the block, we do strive to provide a clean, well maintained facility for all to enjoy. Main thing I stress is, do your homework, and you'll never be dissappointed with your accommodations where ever your travels take you. I hope these, and the others were able to make the best out of an unfortunate situation. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

After being spoiled by another hotel in the past, at first I was disappointed with this one. When we got there to drop off our bags, it was check out time and only 1 person at the desk. Being first in line, I waited 20 minutes. Our actual check in time still had one person at the desk. Two of the 4 washing machines were broken, the fan in the women's lobby rest room wasn't working and the intake side was caked with dust. After a short conversation the next morning with two of the top managers, I could see a change in 24 hrs. People are very friendly, views are terrific. There is a great quiet lagoon on the property with fish where youngsters and oldsters can spend time snorkling until ready to go out from a beach. If you are disabled, don't let them charge you the $10 per night parking. There are no handicapped spots in the parking lot. Rather, they are in the circular drive across from the lobby. The buffett breakfast is $16.95 per adult and is excellent but if you can save money by buying a package deal-do so. Another tip-if you are not fond of luau food but love the show, you can view it from the swimming pool area at no charge. Will stay there again and see if further changes in maintence and front desk are made. One must remember that the hotel (although some upgrades have been made) was originally built in 1962. Many of the other hotels in the area are older than that.

Room Tip: We were on the south side of the south tower and the entire tower was quiet almost all day but certa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha TA Family, I recall speaking directly with these guests, and did address their concerns immediately. Although we only received "two dots" we scored well on the other "dots" We strive to provide a clean well maintained resort for our guests, while still remaining the best value. I'm glad they'll come see us again when they return, we appreciate the comments and input from all our guests, and I'm pleased to know we were able to change their minds. Mahalo!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Kona June 13-17,2013. We have stayed there 3-4 times in the past, but had been 9 years since our last visit. We traveled with our family of 11 people. They met my request for room selections and all other request (such as coring a pineapple) for us. the rooms were clean and recently renovated. We love the location and the true old Hawaiian decor. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else on the big island!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Aloha TA family, it's nice to know our return guests had all of their expectations met and in some cases exceeded. It's great being their favorite place to stay in Hawaii. Please do your homework wherever your travels take you. Call, ask questions, and speak with the front staff, I can assure you they meet to please. We want all of our visitors to have amazing vacations just like these guests did. Warmest Mahalo,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited in Kona for a friend's birthday party (2 nights).
The check in clerk had no Aloha, just handed the key N go !
The Hotel was built in the 60's and remains it original look and paint job.
Our room (363) was facing the parking lot ( car noises, people in n out for luau fest)
The room has old furniture, old and dirty carpet, cheap paint job, a clean and nice bed, a plasma tv, an old fridge-bar.
If you are on a budget this could work for you, but it may take away the beauty of location.
If you add to the room charge, the parking and WI-FI charges, you could get something much better.
Aloha and enjoy The Beautiful Island of Hawaii

Room Tip: Not room 363
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Aloha TA family, dissapointing to hear these Kamaaina guest felt that there was no Aloha, we want to make sure everyone is welcomed with open arms here at the Royal Kona. Although the room they mention is a standard view, least expensive room category, many of our rooms have amazing views of the ocean, for just a fraction more. I'm glad they found us a great place to sleep for their friends birthday, I'm hoping they'll return to give us another chance to spread the aloha spirit. Mahalo Nui Loa,

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Kona Resort for 4 nights. We had a very nice room with an ocean view and a nice balcony. The grounds were very nice as well, and the location was very convenient for that side of the island. The only drawback that we could mention would be that there was a charge for parking in the lot, but that seemed to be the case at many places in Hawaii. Overall, we were very satisfied and would stay there again.

1  Thank Tom168

Aloha TA Family, great to see our friends from WI had a fantastic time with us here in Kona. I'm pleased to know they found the resort comfortable and relaxing, seems we met and exceeded their expectations. We do charge a nominal fee to park, as well as wi fi, but do NOT have a Resort Fee like most the competition. Don't have a car? Don't pay to park. Don't use Wi Fi? Don't pay. Want to use our fitness room? Help yourself, it's complimentary, and we won't be delivering a day old USA Today to your room either! Glad they had a wonderful vacation, we'll see them again when they return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!