3,323 results
All reviewsprivate lagoonalii towermai tai bardon the beachcombercorner kingocean frontmain towerthe big islandsalt water lagoonan ocean view roomshops and restaurantson the rocksan older hotelopen airwaves crashingparking feeour honeymoon
Reviewed November 27, 2003

We spent 3 nights in this hotel and were very pleased. This is a great value hotel in a very good location. It's just a short drive from the airport, located in an ideal part of town - close to plenty of shops, restaurants & bars.We stayed in the beach building - even though there was no beach, the ocean view was stunning. We were lucky to get a large twin room and the beds were massive (could have fit 3 people in them!).
The staff were helpful and the atmosphere was laid-back and relaxed, which was typical of the Big Island. To our surprise, we came across some lively night life! I think this is a very good 3* hotel -it's not luxurious and probably wouldn't recommend it for honeymooners - but it is comfortable, good value and well located.

3  Thank nimnag
Reviewed November 20, 2003

We stayed there for 3 nights - November 7-9, 2003. I absolutely agree with the person who wrote on 11/9.....for the view and how much you are trully in your room this is the place. The rooms are worn down, beds are sort of springy and they could use an upgrade but we paid $89/night for an ocean view. The next 2 nights we stayed at the Hilton Waikola for $170/night and we wished we were closer to town for eating, etc.
The coffe place is called Java On The Rocks....definately a must!!! The coffee, food, and view can't be beat. Have fun!!

Reviewed November 8, 2003

Just got home from staying 7 nights at the Royal Kona in October 2003.
We booked it based on internet research; we wanted a nice ocean front hotel that wouldn't break our bank, and that is what we got. The best thing about this hotel is LOCATION. It is right on the water, the views are breathtaking and it is within walking distance of restaurants, shops and more beautiful views. Hard Rock Cafe is right across the street, and we found a wonderful little coffee shop next to the hotel that is right on the water. It was an easy drive North or South to more activities like snorkeling, numerous beaches, and sightseeing. The pool area was gorgeous and very clean, again overlooking the ocean. The grounds are very well kept and the lobby very nice. We ate in the restaurant only once, service was good and food was OK but I have found this in "hotel food" across the board. We like to try lots of new restaurants anyway, and there were plenty nearby to choose from. I will admit I was a little disappointed in our room, it was musty and there is no ventilation for the bathroom so mildew was a bit of a problem.
Housekeeping could do a better job with details like cleaning the mirrors and providing enough towels. Air conditioning seemed to work intermittently. However, our ocean front view was STUNNING and we used the room to sleep, and shower in the mornings or after swimming all day. The sound of the ocean waves lulled us to sleep every night.
Overall, it was a great experience and I would recommend the hotel as a perfect location. If you are looking for the Four Seasons (Also known as Four Figures) style hotel rooms, this is not the place.

• Stayed: October 2003
1  Thank Takemeaway041
Reviewed November 7, 2003

I stayed at the Royal Kona Resort Oct 24 through Nov 2, 2003, for a conference held in the hotel. I had read some negative online reviews and was somewhat worried about what I woud find. I needn't have worried. The hotel has three buildings. I stayed in the main building, which seems to be more pleasant than the other two. It has recently been renovated, new wallpaper, carpeting, and paint throughout, though there are some signs of wear. The bathroom fixtures are old, but in good working order. I found a minor problem in the room, reported it to the front desk, and it was fixed the same morning. A colleague had a similar experience. The front desk staff were uniformly helpful and friendly. I found the restaurant food not particularly good, but a wide variety of restaurants are within a few minutes walk, and more within a few minutes drive. I've stayed at two other hotels in the Kona area, and I rate this one favorably. I'd stay here again.

Reviewed November 4, 2003

We booked this place on the internet in August of 2003 for our marriage/honeymoon and was totally dissapointed. First and foremost, the staff was not too friendly at the front desk. When we actually got to the room we were even more dissapointed. This hotel should be named "Royal Messy Resort". The appearance of the room gives the impression that it has not been cleaned in over a year. The furniture was old and the room was musty. We had to check out the same day and find another hotel. Definitely not recommended for any occasion, unless you are desparate