“Convenient location, could use some updating”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Los Angeles, California
“Convenient location, could use some updating”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at the Royal Kona on a trip in 2011 with a friend. The hotel was clean, comfortable, and very conveniently located for walking around the shops in Kona. The staff were very polite and accomodating, and their on-site restaurant, Huggos on the Rocks, had passable, if expensive, food. On the other hand, although this was a decent hotel, it shows its age. The rooms were alright, but they could use some upgrading and modernization. The only real negative I can speak of is that I had to fly out of Hawaii very very early in the morning, and they apparently did not have TV checkout. When I went downstairs to return my room key, there was no one at the guest counter. I waited for several minutes and called out to see if anyone was in the back, but in the end I had to leave my key on the desk and a note telling them I needed to leave to make my flight. After I landed in Oahu I called them and they were very polite and apologetic about not having a CSR there to help me.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank kairynel
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Aloha TA family, I'm glad they enjoyed their stay, it's been a year, and about time they return, we'll keep them on our radar so we can welcome them back. Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Royal Kona has an amazing location on the lava just at the end of the strip in Kona. The waves crashing on the lava rocks, the wonderful pool location and open air restaurant looking out on the Pacific and the coastline of Kona are amazing!! However, the hotel is in need of some updating. The check-in staff were competent, but not overly courteous. Our room was a partial ocean view which was right above the checkin area and overlooked the pool area and entrance circle. This was very nice as we could leave our door open at night and hear the waves crashing at night, but on several nights from 6 till about 9 the music from the evening lua was very loud and got to be annoying. (Tip - in the Ali'i tower - ask for a room away from the lua area).

The bathroom was acceptable and all the appliances worked well. It was clean but not lavish. The carpets were a bit dated. The king bed however was very comfortable! The balcony was spacious and provided a great view. The amenities are plus and minus. The pool area and small secluded lagoon for salt water swimming were very nice, but the hotel exercise room was very small with only a treadmill and bike for use. I had the breakfast bar on several mornings which was good, but without variation from day to day - again - tables by the water in open air were great though! I was here with my wife for a conference during Ironman week and the walkability to town, viewing opportunities for the race right on Ali'i were great!

The open air conference facility made it one of the best conferences I've ever attended....no indoor stuffy ac rooms here! They do charge extra for wifi and for parking (but one can also park free on Ali'i drive). My wife and I also used the tennis courts on numerous occasions. There are four nice courts and although not run by the hotel, Evan, the pro gave us a nice week rate for use of the courts. They are not locked though.

Overall, since the location was incredible and the outdoor amenities were great I gave this hotel a 4 star, however, just based on the room it would be a 3. I would definitely go back, but don't expect the Ritz-Carlton if you stay here. The location and convenience particularly during Ironman week were great though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noise of the lua.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irondoc
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Aloha TA family, great review and info. We strive to provide our guests a clean and well maintained facility, from rooms to grounds. Although we're not the newest kid on the block, we do stake our claim to the best location in Kona. Right on the ocean, when you stay with us, you see, touch, taste and smell the ocean. We also offer our guests the best value for the price paid, hands down. Great travel tips these guests shared, glad they had a great time enjoying IronMan from our resort!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Overall: this hotel has a great location, but has several negatives. First, rooms vary like crazy. (I was traveling with a group, so had access to see several different rooms.) My first room had a bad smell of mold, but they moved me quickly, and I was lucky enough to go to the main tower (indoor access, as a hotel). The rooms in the Lagoon and Bay towers aren't quite as nice or well-kept. Also, the almost-nightly luaus are very loud, and the way the hotel is designed, you'll feel like the drums are in your room. On the plus side, this gets you staying up to Hawaii hours quite quickly :-).

The hotel has a great pool/bar area, and a beautiful restaurant. The breakfasts are kind of weak, but the food later in the day is nice. There are many, many restaurants of almost every type within easy walking distance. And if you stay here, DON'T miss Basik Cafe, an awesome "acai bowl" joint just a few steps from the hotel - you'll thank me!

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the main tower. If you can get a full water view, definitely do that!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aloha TA crew! It sounds like these guests had a nice time too! FYI, all of our rooms are pretty much cookie cutter in regards to shape, size, and amenities, locations to vary though, with your view. Yes we have a wonderful Luau, 4 nights a week, but the music stops at 8pm, and usually our guests love to hear the Polynesian music. Sorry if they didn't enjoy that aspect of it. We do have a wonderful ocean front setting, our pool, bar, restaurant, luau and majority of our rooms face the ocean. They did share some great local area tips too! Mahalo!
London, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Royal Kona hotel looks impressive and is in a great location. A short walk takes you to the many shops that line the adjacent street. But the hotel is in need of a makeover. At least two couples travelling in our tour group had plumbing problems in their bathrooms and had to change rooms. We had an ocean view - albeit overlooking the restaurant rooftop below. We enjoyed a great buffet dinner as part of our tour but the breakfast buffet was minimal compared to other hotels on our tour. There is a natural lagoon on one side of the hotel - be sure to wear swim shoes in there! The waves can really pound the shore in this area - might help put you to sleep. For those who need it, there is a laundry room in one of the hotel buildings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA viewers! Not sure what more these happy travelers expected, they didn't mention it. They did receive a great view, enjoyed the wonderful location and value, had great meals. I hope they enjoyed watching the dolphins play in front of the hotel like they do daily too. I truly hope they had a wonderful time in Hawaii, and their time with us here. mahalo!
California
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My fiancee and I visited Kona in May 2012. We were here three nights and found it an awesome place to stay. The whole outside feel of the place was really nice, especially since we were in Hawaii. Also they have a great bar right on the water. It is also a very short easy walk to the main strip in Kona with most the touristy restaurants and stores. We found this nice for a quick bite or a cheap souvenir. If we make it back to Kona I think we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We happened to get a corner room, which was a little bigger. Also if you can, request a ocean view r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oockiki
Aloha TA family, it's great to see our return guests had another wonderful time here at the Royal Kona Resort. I'm glad we were able to meet and exceed their expectations again.They nailed it, great location, great food and beverage. Great room tip too, mahalo for staying with us again!
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Fortunately I was only staying here for two nights as part of my Hawaiian Island holiday. The staff are friendly. But you don't get any real information, from staff or in your rooms automatically, about things as you do as standard at other hotels, restaurant times for example. The rooms themselves are at best described as Ramada airport hotel rooms. Even then i would suggest a renovation would only help matters. The rooms are functional but not comfortable. The hotel has no charm or ambience to it. I'm very glad this was a quick stop using this hotel. Unless you are really struggling budget wise I suggest you should look elsewhere!

1 Thank Adam H
Aloha TA family,
Interesting perspective, we respect all comments and reviews, I hope that coming all the way from the UK, they were able to enjoy all the wonderful things our resort and location had to offer. Mahalo!!

Travelers are raving about these Kailua-Kona hotels

Cookeville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 8, 2012

When we arrived, we asked for an upgrade from partial ocean view to ocean view (for age 50+) that one previous reviewer had mentioned. The front desk accommodated us with no question. Our rooom was Room 378 in the Bay Tower which had a fantastic view. The bathroom could have used some renovating and the ice machine was one floor down, but those are minor complaints. The view, the location which was close to shopping and eating, and the pool/lagoon more than compensated. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sharon H
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Aloha TA family, so nice to hear we exceeded our guests expectations again, we do try to accommodate every request, and do whenever possible. I'm jazzed to know they really enjoyed themselves, having traveled all the way from Tennessee! A Hui Hou!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!