“Well located, fun happy hour, great views”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Victoria, Canada
“Well located, fun happy hour, great views”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Our room was large and overlooked the shoreline which was exceptional. The nighttime waves and sounds were simply breathtaking. The balconies are large and lovely.

The rom size is well above average and very clean.

There is a pool and a salt water lagoon both of which are well-maintained.

The happy hour is good and the food in the bar average to above average.

Staff is mixed from freindly and helpful to slightly unhelpful. I alwasy wonder why you work in the service industry and not be nice!

The resort is really well located and is a quick 2 minute walk to the town which has an ABC, Lava Java, shops and restaurants.

It is very good value for the price. If your room overlooks the pool area chaches are you can also see the luau too!

The resort spa, which is run independently, is outstanding.

Room Tip: ocean view building one
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SeeingTHEworld2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We just got back on Monday and have to say the trip was very good. The hotel is a little old, but I have stayed in 4+ resorts in Mexico and the Dominican that have been in worse condition. We stayed in the Lagoon tower pool side (room 545) and found it very comfortable. The pool is a little small but was never very busy. We always had plenty of room to splash around. The lagoon is nice, but most of us would go in it after we watched an eel swim across it. I guess we are just not that comfortable with ocean creatures. Anne at the front desk was extremely helpful, as we had a large group and needed to have everyone switched so we would be in the same tower. Our thanks to her as she made our trip a little nicer! The location of this hotel is great and the views are exceptional. Don't count this hotel out because of a few bad reviews. It is not as bad as some will have you believe.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 268Glenda11
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Stayed Jan 2012, after a long drive from Hilo, the hotel was a refreshing spot. Bay front property with a great tiki bar/restaurant; Friendly staff and tropical surroundings. I only stayed one day. Wish I could have stayed longer. Adult and couples accommodations, but children felt welcome. Parking is a challenge, but paid a small fee to use lot. Ali'i street restaurants and surround the hotel with beautiful views of Kona Bay from hotel and within a short walking distance. I saw dolphin and just missed the whale spotting! There is a private lagoon to enjoy with a quaint sandy rest area to relax. Great pool for swimming with a view of the bay. Not for the budget traveler; however not unreasonable rates for the area and activities.

Room Tip: Bay Front is best! Great Lanai views everywhere!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kay M
Australia
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I had no great expectations of this place although i had heard that the views were exceptional which is why i chose to stay here! Perhaps a little tad over priced in comparison with 5 Star hotels in Waikiki that i paid the same price for. Rooms are old (they even have carpet on the balcony...?) Don's Mai Tai Bar has an excellent choice of cocktails, especially Mai Tai's - i tried many of them....very good!!! But don't get excited over the service... we quickly discovered that if you walk to the bar to get a drink, the bar server is not interested in serving you as you are meant to wait for your 'server' at your table as the 'tips' go to the server...? The views however, from the Ocean Front rooms and the bar are stunning and make up for the lack in service. Location is great, 2 min walk to shops/cafes/bar etc.

Room Tip: You would only stay in an Ocean Front room if you stay here... otherwise don't bother.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Can't beat the location. Several minute drive from restaurants and stores (including Walmart). The property is ok. The rooms are large, but it was damp (what do you expect, it's near water and it's in the tropics!). However, the hotel could have offered a dehumidifier to guests. Received a complimentary bottle of wine which was a plus! Parking was not free.

Room Tip: Get a ocean view room. Ask for a renovated one.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Jamaica
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Royal Kona Resort gave us all that and more. The hotel was built in 1962 (?) so it has a certain charm that the newer and more glitzy ones. I loved the decor giving you a sense you were in Hawaii and not just another place. The main lobby is open giving way for you to enjoy the waves against the lava rocks. The Bay Towers entry has lush green vegetation and the sound of waterfalls while the Lagoon tower is well appointed with tall palm trees and a coy pond. We booked a partial ocean view and was upgraded to full ocean front, giving us a view to die for. We could view the sunset laying on our bed, but why when you can enjoy it from the balcony with a nice glass of wine. This was the unrenovated tower, so it showed a bit of the age/history, which did not bother us.

I loved the view, and was not bothered by being in a 'classic' tower, but the location takes the cake. Not having the chance to be out and about much in the evenings while vacationing (usually with kids), I wanted a roam around at the end of the time. I liked the Mai Thai at the luau, not as sweet, but not at the bar. If you haven't been to a luau, it's worth trying. Dem girls can move, the men aren't bad either. The resort is located minutes away from shopping, dining, and BARS with HAPPY HOUR staring as early as NOON. I have been to resorts in Jamaica, Mexico, and taken many cruises, yet this has been one of my most complete land vacation. I got a place I enjoyed, a location I desired, with a price I could easily afford. Special thanks to Elizabeth, and the overall staff, you were kind and wonderful. I thought having a nice place to stay in Hawaii meat breaking the bank but this was not the case. Oceans Bar and Grill has buy one meal, get one free on Monday and Wednesday. Lunch specials are $6.95 and 2.50 tacos on Tuesdays and Thursday.

My only grip ( a 4 not a 5 rating) was that coffee was not included, as it is in most hotels. Come on, some mix of Kona Coffee in a Kona Hotel should be given just because it's Kona. It was a lovely experience but one complimentary cup of cup for 7 days reminds you we are traveling in a time of nickel and dimming. The small things matter so if you provide a coffee pot, provide the brew. Now I look forward to the Royal Lahaina in Maui, next year soon come:-)

Full buffet breakfast and oceanfront was $133 per night during a time travel is usual expensive for us, President break.

Room Tip: Book at least the partial view room. If you are celebrating a special occasion let them know. Ask fo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I have never been more disappointed in a hotel than I was with the Royal Kona. When we checked in the receptionist seemed bothered with us being there and like it was a hassle to check us in, not once did she smile. The room was large, but I refused to take off my sandals the entire time. Obviously the hotel is dated and I could link past that, but for my standards it was dirty. The shower head and faucet was calcified and black/green, there were also many unfinished areas in the room. Initially we had the room reserved for 15 nights but only stayed one. They definitely need to spend some time/money on professional cleaning and upgrades.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Vikki2014

Travelers are raving about these Kailua-Kona hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,159 reviews
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!