Royal Kona Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$140
$189
  • Breakfast included
$1,363
$1,139
Kona Seaside Hotel(Kailua-Kona)(Great Value!)
$154
$149
Hotels.com
$249
Kona Tiki Hotel(Kailua-Kona)
3,102 results
All reviewsprivate lagoonalii towermai tai bardon the beachcombercorner kingocean frontmain towerthe big islandsalt water lagoonan ocean view roomshops and restaurantson the rocksan older hotelopen airwaves crashingparking feewatch the sunset
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Our experience with the Royal Kona Resort was excellent. We had our wedding reception on the Alii Terrace, a beautiful and great place for a reception. Working with the Romance Center was a breeze and our reception was excatly what I envisioned; I appreciate all their help. The food was wonderful, our cake was beautiful, the musician was great and the overall ambiance was perfect!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica B
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Aloha TA family,
We do have some really nice locations for weddings, vow renewals, receptions, parties. The Sunset cove at Alii Terrace is one great spot, ocean front, great view. These guests clearly had a wonderful experience, something we strive to provide all our valued guests. Mahalo for sharing!

Reviewed December 6, 2011

I would stay here again because of the view and the bar service. The attendant at the front desk was very unfriendly and sometime rude. Her named bagan with a J and she acted as if everything you ask for was a major inconvenience. You also have to pay 10 dollars per day to park plus extra fees for taxes, so be prepaired for that. This hotel had a very small refrigerator and no microwave, so keeping left overs to save money was not an option. The hotel attemped to charge about 33 dollars for a breakfast buffet for 2 people...some we went to Lulu's down the street. The hotel was not the best kept place we've ever been in. The best part of our stay was the friendly service we received at the outdoor bar.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a partial view of the waterfront which is relaxing at night, so ask for one of those. You can print boarding passes from the front desk.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ajaxtraveler2

Aloha TA readers,
True, we do have great staff, something we boast about, though it sounds like at the Front Desk we missed the mark for some reason, and I’m looking into that as we speak, it’s not the norm. Yes, our partial ocean view rooms actually do look into the ocean! Imagine that! LOL, not like some other hotels will claim. And, even our “Standard” rooms, our lead in rate category rooms have nice views, many see the ocean, albeit across the roof, or buildings, but if you are not expecting a view and get one, BONUS for you! Our Buffet is full of great offerings, and it’s only $15++ per person, and yes there are many options down the street too. The mini-fridge in the room is just that, perfect for your favorite beverage! All in all, we are truly the best value for the best location in Kona! Mahalo!

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel a few times - always on a Priceline.com reservation. Yup - you can get the rooms pretty cheap, but I would feel terrible if I paid full price for this place. 1st - as a Priceline customer, I am always given the most undesirable rooms - no view, traffic noise, far away, etc. I can understand that when the hotel is fairly full, but I have stayed there even when it is not full at all, and still this is what I get. Other hotels with Priceline have not treated me any different than their regular guests. The rooms are only ok - others have mentioned the furniture, patios, bathrooms and coffee. Their pool towels could be better. I had a line of ants on my bedside table - altho I couyldn't see what on there attracted them. The pool and bar is nice and the front desk people have always been very nice. I think it is interesting that the hotel's marketing person is on here answering every review. His standard line is "do your research, we're not pretending to be anything that we're not". Yup - I agree with that.

Room Tip: Oceanview is the way to go.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank lovemaui
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I'm torn between average and very good, it was somewhere in between. The resort was in a fantastic location, the grounds and koi ponds were well tended and in beautiful condition. We had an oceanfront room, and except for luau night all we could hear were waves.
However, there was no WiFi which we were told would be available in the lobby, the front desk staff were helpful but cool, the mattresses were uncomfortably soft, and the room smelled damp and musty a dehumidifier was needed.) The coffee maker wasn't cleaned daily (we used it to make tea, so maybe that was to let us know we were misusing it.) The salt water lagoon next to us was unappealing, full of seaweed and murky water. That had been a big attraction, we were supposed to be able to swim with turtles in it.
The luau was very overpriced. Oh, and use of the phone was $1.00 per call.

Room Tip: Try for ocean side, though it's much more costly. The other option is parking lot, or street depending on which tower you get. I didn't see any of those rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jeago

Aloha TA Crew!
Sounds like they enjoyed, to clarify a couple items, we do have wifi in all guest rooms and throughout the resort. It’s not complimentary though, it’s $9.95 per day. In regards to swimming with the turtles in our lagoon, depending on the tide and moon phase (which makes the tides extremely high or low) at low tide, new moon, the tide is super low for a few days, causing the lagoon to get less circulation. Also depends on the ocean conditions. Also, we don’t put the Honu (green sea turtles) in the lagoon, so we don’t know when they’ll be there (or not). Best time to look is at high tide though FYI. I sent them a personal message, hoping to find out a bit more information, we want all our guests to have awesome vacations. If you have questions, contact us, we’re more than happy to help. PS: Our luau is the best on the island, and as a guest of the Royal Kona, we provide you with “buy one, get one half off” best deal in town!! Much Mahalo!

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Expected more from this hotel after reading reviews. We stayed in the Bay Tower in November, 2011. We were upgraded to an ocean view which really was a great view.

On the downside, although there is a coffee maker in the room, you only get ONE envelope of coffee for your entire stay. If you wat any more, you must purchase it for $1.25. We thought that was an awfully "cheap" practice for a "resort hotel". Wi-Fi is $10.95 per day, which seems rather unreasonable also. The restaurant was expensive, so we ate most meals elsewhere.

The courtyard in the Bay Tower has a garden/water feature. The pump for the waterfall is VERY loud and runs all day, and until at least 9 pm...sounds like a vacuum cleaner running outside your room constantly. Ice machine is not on every floor. The room where the ice machine was one on the 2nd floor had no sign to tell you where it was, and the room was torn up and dirty.

All in all, we thought this place was just okay at best, and would not choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Aloha TA readers, it’s never good to be just average, I hate seeing these, but these guests have some very valid concerns. We do offer complimentary coffee, additional packets are for a small fee. The fountain pump in the pond is a pump, and can be a bit noisy for some, but this is the first time I’ve had someone bring it up as a concern. We do turn it off at night though. Wifi is only $9.95 per day, not $10.95, (saved a buck there) LOL there are locations on Alii drive that offer complimentary service if your patronizing their establishments, have a cup of coffee and use the wifi. Concerned they thought the ice machine room was in ill repair, I did send up the maintenance team to touch up paint the walls, and give it a fresh look, hope that helps. I hope the return my personal message, I want to welcome them back. Mahalo and Merry Christmas to all!