“Can't beat the value!!!”
Review of Kona Tiki Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Tiki Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed January 30, 2006

Well, if you're looking for 5-star luxury, look elsewhere, but if you want a clean place that won't break the pocket book, this place can't be beat. My girlfriend and I were there this past November (2005). First time for her, but 2nd time for me. Friendly staff, great ocean-side location... what more can you ask for at $72 per night?(tax included!) Loved the loaner boogie boards, coolers, beach mats and beach towels too! I'll be back again! :-)

17  Thank ksteeves

Reviewed January 14, 2006

My mother and I lucked out and stayed here for one night (we wanted to stay longer but couldn't!) in June of 2005. Our thoughts are below:

WHY WE LOVED IT!:
1) Kona Tiki's location is amazing! We had a nice, clean room on the second story with kitchenette, nice bathroom and the best balcony I've seen in Hawaii! The waves crashed all night & lulled us to sleep. They crash really close to the building so it can be a little hair-raising at times, but always amazing!
2) The lava rock patio seems like the place to hang out in the evenings, and the built-in BBQ and salty water pool are charming additions. Also, the grounds and flowerbeds were wonderfully kept.
3) Breakfast was included and we enjoyed it out on the patio. We accidentally sat at the maid/housekeeping table, who joined us for their break. They were very charming and friendly and definitely enhanced our experience at the Kona Tiki.
4) This Hotel definitely caters to the older crowd, but this means that your stay will be serene and quiet -- the only noise being the crashing waves. Ahhhh.

SOME POINTS TO BE AWARE OF:
1) At the time of our visit, you couldn't make a reservation in any other way than by contacting them far in advance and mailing them a cheque for deposit/payment. This is why we missed out on staying there longer.
2) Their parking lot is itty bitty, so parking can be quite an operation.
3) The desk staff was a little terse with us, but not at all unhelpful.

This place is a wonderful option and I highly recommend staying there -- if you can swing a reservation, that is! I feel like we would have enjoyed our stay in snooty Kona a little more had we had the opportunity to stay here a few nights longer.

Whatever you decide, have an awesome stay on the Big Island!

• Stayed: June 2005
14  Thank ChrisDaberer
A TripAdvisor Member
los angeles
Reviewed September 11, 2005

ok. we've stayed there 4 times so i think i can make a somewhat accurate review, based mostly on our last stay.

Although the nonkitchen units may still be a good deal, the kitchen units are
not in my opinion...think we paid about $115 to $120.....

good part...great location, nice people running the place
bad part.....no air conditioning,ants and bugs (don't leave any food out!), very salty pool (burned our eyes), parking can be difficult (may have to back out on to ali drive)

Bottom line...In the future,I probably would stay and one of the many condo's that are also right on the beach...they probably cost as much or are a bit more, but they come fully loaded...kona tiki hasraised the prices so
although it's probably still a good deal, it's not the deal it once was...you can get more "bang for the buck" if you shop around

• Stayed: July 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2005

I agree with the other reviews that this is a great hotel for some, and a bad hotel for others. It's definitely a good deal -- and very close to the ocean. If you book a room, I would definitely recommend trying to get a second-floor unit. We were on the first floor, which is much noisier. The room are definitely budget -- the bathrooms small, no television, no phone. But they are comfortable and clean. Plus, we knew what we were booking and didn't mind the basic ammenities. The primary problem for my partner was that the room was very noisy -- the ocean crashed right outside our door plus the roadway in front of the hotel has almost-constant traffic. I loved the sound of the ocean outside the room, which lulled me to sleep. I am a heavy sleeper. My partner, however, is a light sleeper and he got very little sleep the first night. We bought some earplugs the next day, and he was able to sleep much better the second night. Other than that, however, we both found the owners of the Kona Tiki Hotel gracious and helpful. The breakfast was fruit and sweet rolls, the coffee was great and it was very enjoyable to have a bite to eat while overlooking the ocean. We also both agree that the hotels is a *great* bargain, especially if you're looking to stay in the Kona area. One thing to note, though, is that if you are looking to spend most of the day at Volcano National Park, Hilo is about 2 hours closer than Kona. Otherwise, Kona is the place to be.

• Stayed: August 2005
19  Thank djbnews
Reviewed August 15, 2005

The Kona Tiki Hotel is truly excellent value - you can't beat the rate for what you get. Get a second floor room - the balcony's are wonderful. From our balcony we watched sea turtles (honu) and yellow fish swimming in the water below us. (The picture captures a small part of the view) It was very peaceful to eat take out meals (made easier by the kitchenet), or just read and relax on the balcony listening to the waves and looking at the view. They have a pool - so close to the sea wall that salty waves splash over into the pool. Coolers and beach mats are provided for guests to borrow, and they are really just a short way up the road from town.
For all the reasons above I really loved my stay at the Kona Tiki Hotel - that said my wife appreciated our stay less.
The rooms themselves are definitely budget accomodations. The towels smelled a bit musty, overall furnishings were somewhat dingy, and the bathroom was cramped. Breakfast provided consists of fresh fruit, but in small quantities - so you may want to stock your own supplies in the in room kitchen.

• Stayed: July 2004
24  Thank zametov
A TripAdvisor Member
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed August 4, 2005

The KONA Tiki is such a great bargain for the money. Being raised in Hawaii since 1965 this place took me back to a simpler time. The rooms are clean and the manager was really friendly. I am a teacher and my family are world wide Travelers in the summer, staying in some fancy resorts. My wife and 5 kids put the Kona Tiki as one of our favorite places to stay. We stayed on the third floor overlooking the reef. (Recommend the top floor) my two 9 year olds spent half the time looking at the turtles and various ocean life right out our lanai. My other 3 kids had a blast in the wave pool by the sea wall when the waves would crash over. They had a hard time sleeping the first night with sounds of the ocean crashing on the sea wall but this quickly became okay when my oldest said Dad people pay money for CDs with these sounds on them. It took a couple of days when we went on to Maui for my kids to get to sleep because they missed the ocean sounds. The place is located just enough away from the touristy part of Kona and close to Kahaluu beach park. This beach was one the best experience in my kids various travels. We snorkeled with turtles for free. If you are looking for what old Hawaii used to be then this is your place.

We love this little place and hope to return to it. It is the best Bargin for your money especially if you have a tribe of kids like ours.
Thank you Kona Tiki for making our time in Kona both fun and memorable. Also thank you for taking me back to my childhood days of old Hawaii.

• Stayed: July 2004