“What can be worse than a cockroach?”
Review of Kona Tiki Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Tiki Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Everything was going pretty well with our 3-day stay here. Good service, nice breakfast, beautiful ocean view.. Everything until a HUGE cockroach dropped into the shower from the ceiling while my wife was taking a shower! Fine, no biggie, I put a cup over it and called the office for someone to remove it. It's 10:30pm, no answer. I head down to the office and no one's there. From what we were told when we checked in, there is this button on the front desk that's connected to the manager's room in case there's any issues. Well, it's been removed. I walk over to the manager's room and knock for several minutes, no answer. After several more minutes, Jan, the manager, finally answers.

I will keep this as short as possible. She says.. it's a waterbug, not a cockroach, go remove it. It's an island, get over it. Here, *hands me a paper towel*, I'll give you this to remove it.

What? Did I pay here as a guest to be your pest control? And that's not to mention the fact that you must have some telepathic powers to know it's a true waterbug without bothering to go and see it? I collected waterbugs for my science bug project in school, there is a HUGE difference between them and dirty cockroaches!

She says, do you know what time it is? You're a guy, go get it yourself. Here, *shakes the paper towel* you're a guy!

At this point we go back n' forth with me trying to explain the concept of hospitality, while she continually reminds me that "you're a guy." I have no problems picking up a cockroach, I caught and pinned them alongside waterbugs and many other fine insects. The thing is, I don't think anyone wants to pick up others' cockroaches when you are paying guests. Does this need to be explained? Are we breaking new grounds here? Anyway, I posted a pic from the shower, you decide.

Because of Jan, not the cockroach, we will not be returning.

23  Thank Max H

Reviewed May 26, 2013

A basic hotel with good amenities, the Kona Tiki is the place to stay when the budget is tight - but you want somewhere clean and close to the water. Motel managers are friendly and the breakfast is delicious. The water is close by, in fact it often splashes over into the pool, but you obviously didn't come to Kona to get away from the ocean.

We walked everywhere, and given that this hotel is 1.5 miles out from town - a car is advisable. However parking is tight, so be prepared to car juggle in the mornings. Still, a relaxing start to our holiday on Hawaii.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Transit_Taurus
Reviewed May 19, 2013

First this is not a 5 star hotel; it more a 3 star hotel with more character and friendliness than any other hotel..... The rooms are basic, but offer a superior view of the ocean. If you want a room where you can not hear a thing, forget it. All night long you hear the ocean crashing against the rock wall 20 feet from your room. For me, I love the sound of the ocean and sleep so good:)
This is our second time here. Like other guest once you experience the Kona Tiki, you keep coming back. You meet new people at breakfast and at sunset. Oh yeah this has the best sunsets in all of Hawaii!!! No bull, we have stayed all over hawaii and they rock here!!! So come with wanting to socialize with other guest and the managers. This time around it is Mike and Jan, and you can not ask for a nicer couple. They help you with whatever you might need, from places to visit (restaurants, bars, cool beaches and any other tips you may need). There are beach chairs , coolers, boogie boards and more to borrow. The pool is fine, and has salt water mixed in it from the waves crashing over the wall. Overall we love this place!

5  Thank Sean S
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Although this accommodation has more the look of a motel than a B & B, the gracious hosts give it a B & B feel and the breakfast is certainly the equal of many B & B's: good coffee, juice, variety of ripe fruits, variety of bagels, whole grain bread, cream cheese, jam, butter, peanut butter - all you need to get started on a day of exploring. This is not a luxury place, but the room, though smallish, had all that was necessary, was comfortable and clean. One alert - no shampoo is provided. Having a balcony almost right on the ocean with the sound of the surf to put us to sleep was a delight, The proximity to the Kailua Village was also a plus as we could leave the car and walk the, perhaps, almost mile to the town center.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the ocean. Ours was on the second floor, and unless you have a problem with stai...
4  Thank susan23
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Kona Tiki is a real find for anyone who does not require high end digs or lots of space. It is a wonderful little family style operation in a spectacular location. Away from the bustle of Kailua Kona, it is still within walking distance if you fancy a bit of exercise. If not, it will take you about 5 minutes by car to get to the shops and restaurants. We found our room plenty spacious for our needs and being on the ground floor, we had a charming little patio just feet away from the pounding surf. Breakfast is laid out at 7:00 every morning; a lovely spread you can eat by the pool overlooking the ocean. They even provide Bar -be-ques for the more budget conscious traveller. The management team couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. This reasonably priced hotel never had a vacancy for more than a couple of hours and I can see why. Overall, a great choice for us.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank aprilwineMississauga
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here 4 times in 3 years. We meet great people and relax. The dolphin show most mornings at the communal breakfast is a great way to start the day.

Some days we never leave the property and just hang at the pool and watch the waves.

Room Tip: Upstairs is better for the view.
2  Thank respost
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I love this place and the location - walking distance to downtown Kona. The vibe is relaxed and the breakfast has delicious fresh fruit every morning. Each room has a gorgeous ocean view, but rooms are not sound-proofed so you can hear the waves crashing every night. And I do mean CRASHing - it is very loud and can cause restless sleep. That being said, a stop at Long's for some earplugs and sleeping pills took care of any problems we had. I would gladly stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple