“Really "on the water"”
Review of Kona Tiki Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Tiki Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed December 1, 2011

If anyone has read my profile or other reviews I wrote, will know that I usually travel alone. I came to Hawaii searching for my favorite combination: volcanoes and surf. Big Island is a difficult place to travel alone especially if you are not willing to drive. However, Kona Tiki is perfectly located on a road where walking is easy and safe thanks to the jogging and bike lanes. Besides that, it is exactly in the middle of the areas I needed the most: in the direction of south I found the perfect point breaks; in the direction north I was only a short walk from all the shopping and restaurants I needed.
The building is super charming and all original as I heard from a lady who comes to Hawaii since years for her holidays and always stays at Kona Tiki.
Right after the amazing sunset you can hang by the pool, surrounded by torches for getting all that "tiki mood".

6  Thank lil_volcano_girl

Reviewed November 8, 2011

My wife and I spent 2 nights here and couldn't have been happier with selecting this little independent hotel which is right next to the water. First, let's get the negatives out of the way: no air conditioning, no TV, no telephone. Second, let's look at the positives: ceiling fans, the sound of the ocean breaking against the shore and sea-walls, exceedingly nice staff, and free continental breakfast by the emaculate pool. They also have ice-chests, great towels, and boogie boards you can use while you're staying here. And their ice machine makes more free ice per hour than any machine you've ever seen. So if you're coming to Hawaii to fire off the air conditioner and watch TV, this usn't the place for you. But if you want to settle in to a gentler time where you can hear the roar of the ocean and watch beautiful sunsets, you've found your place.

9  Thank chrisjarrett19
Reviewed November 5, 2011

No frills clean and simple hotel, right on the sea. That is the attraction, if you don't like sea noise stay somewhere else, the hotel doesn't hide it's proximity to the waves or it's lack of tv and internet. Lovely simple breakfast of fresh warm pastries and local fruit included. Hotel managers were characters but not unhelpful. Would stay here again

4  Thank LFCROCK
Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I enjoyed our stay here very much. We stayed in the second floor room on the corner closest to the road and at first I though the traffic would keep us up. That was until we walked in the room and shut the door. The road sound disappeared and the ocean waves were incredible - put me right to sleep at night! The hotel staff are awesome and make you feel right at home from the get go. Loved the morning continental breakfast outside in the patio area. I even used the grill out by the pool for a dinner one night and had nice relaxing evenings all the trip. we'd love to stay here on a return trip!

4  Thank Wade L
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I would never stay here again. I would highly recommend to read all the comments on giving TERRIBLE rating before you make the booking. They were all right. The pictures in the website is a bait.

21  Thank chulaluck
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I spent a week here on the first half of our honeymoon. We picked this location as we were looking for proximity to restaurants whilst still being semi away from it all. This was perfect. We spent a good deal of time by the pool, watching the waves crash onto the sea wall. It was about a fifteen minute walk, we walk pretty quickly, to Huggo's where we enjoyed Happy Hour without having to drive. The morning breakfast was juice, coffee, fruits, breads, and pastries. All were delicious and kept stocked with care. The management staff was very friendly, spending time with the guests and swapping stories. The ocean is thirty feet from the building, so you WILL hear it. However, neither my husband nor I thought this was a bad thing. If you want oceanfront, it's the price you pay. The sound of crashing waves. I happen to find it fantastic. I must say, I expected, from some of the reviews, to find locals swarming the banks of the property, and it was simply not the case. Occasionally, people from across the road would look out on the ocean from the parking lot, but they didn't loiter there and were certainly not loud or obnoxious. Just people admiring the view. And what a view it is. Despite being so close to town and with properties on all sides, it seemed very private and serene. Keep in mind, the parking lot is small. We went fishing early one morning and had to wake the managers to move some cars for us, which we felt terrible about. So I would suggest perhaps notifying the staff if you are parked on the interior and have an early departure when the place is full. We solved it by simply parking in the spots closest to the street. All was well done here. A quiet stay with a feeling of home. Also, they don't take credit cards, but have Paypal and do take checks. There is NO tv or ac. Personally, I take vacations to step out of my day to day life. Not to park myself in front of a tv all day at a premium price. If that was my plan, I can hang hotel decor on the walls of my house and pretend I left home. There is so much to see and do here, that it is truly a shame that all would not be absorbed by every visitor to these lovely islands. Breathe in the crisp air, kick back and relax.

Room Tip: Kitchenettes are great here as you can save a few bucks on meals with the farmer's market.