“Great price, wonderful hotel and staff”
Review of Kona Seaside Hotel

Kona Seaside Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Hilo, Hawaii
“Great price, wonderful hotel and staff”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I read the reviews ahead of time. I needed a room for one night that was not expensive, just a clean, safe, good location to sleep. I was so glad that I picked this hotel. Everyone was so friendly and kind. From the person who initially reserved my room to the wonderful lady at the front desk, Pua Maile, we felt welcome and at home. I did end up paying the $5 to park, it was for the security guard that is making sure everyone is safe, happy, and my car was secure. We liked it so much, we stayed one more night. Our room was in the back building facing the gardens. Pua Maile was able to give us the same room. We left to enjoy the day. Came back to an extremely clean room. Here is the good and the bad.

Good- great price, VERY clean room, great location, window air conditioning, wonderful staff, fridge/coffee maker/iron/blow drier, nice pool

Bad- No microwave, no free WIFI, the room was dated (which don’t mind since SO clean) but they do need new beds. The mattresses are old and small (more like short). I am small, but could feel the springs. My husband is tall, his feet were hanging off the end. The "bad" is the only reason why I gave it 4 stars.

We would recommend this hotel and will stay at Kona Seaside Hotel again.

Room Tip: There are rooms that face the pool and street that are active and fun. There are rooms facing the ga...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here one night after landing at the airport late in the afternoon. It's centerally located, very clean, easy to fine and easy to park and get into hotel. We were able to walk to a restaurant easily and catch some sleep before heading out the next morning for a destiation across the island. This was a fine value, and breakfast came with the stay at a great restaurant right next door!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

After overcharging us, ticketing our van numerous times because of their ridiculous rules we could not wait to get out if this spot. Horrible rooms, no toiletries to speak of and all the towels and bedding is stained.
We arrived late for check in and they had no idea how to find our reservation, it took them an hour with a dim witted security guard to get us our room 'code'. Apparently they don't keep staff there past 8pm. Parking was a nightmare, as they do not have near enough spots for all the guests/tenants. This place is NOT a hotel, motel, or lodge. It's a ramshackle enterprise of overpriced slums strewn together.
I visit this island 3-4 times a year to see family and have stayed in dozens of establishments around town. By far this was the worst I had found.

Stayed November 2013
12 Thank raymakesmerch
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2013

If you arrive at night you might be a bit shocked about all the cockroaches in the common area....they even take a ride with you in the elevator. The rooms are clean though (and we couldn't find any cockroaches there).
The rooms are ok. The hotel itself doesn't provide breakfast....but they hand out vouchers for a cafe next door, which is actually very nice. Still, there might be better places for the same price in Kona.....or just stay in a different town if you prefer it more Hawaiian.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gelegentlich
British Columbia
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here our first night in Hawaii after arriving very late in the evening at the airport. The lady at reception was very friendly and professional. The room was basic but comfy and the view from the balcony was nice and overlooked the pool. Breakfast was included with our room fee (a choice of 3 options) and I enjoyed my macadamia nut pancakes in the open air restaurant a short walk from the hotel. I wished we had chosen to stay here one more night as there really was a lot to see down at the beach and cute little shops up and down the street. They were training people to use outriggers on the water and it was very interesting; apparently the beach is also the starting/stopping point for the Ironman! The hotel was very reasonably priced and in a convenient spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank alittletlp
lancashire
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The hotel is near the centre of Kona and a great area for the beach and shops. Reception staff was helpful, the room was a good size as I request a high room and the balcony had a great view of the sea (got an even number) sorry can’t remember the number.
The pool area was clean and relaxing after being out all day. Room was clean and tidy and the bathroom was an ok size.
As a guest of the hotel I received a coupon for free breakfast at the Splasher’s Grill with a choice of 3 different choices. This was a great breakfast and could not fault it, this was a great bonus for the price of the hotel.
2 things that I found issues with was in the room a chain from the ceiling fan to the bed is fix with a wire and could be a safety issues for children. The other is the parking, I got a space and when I checked in and asked for a permit for the car, I was told all the spaces were taken and it was on a 1st come basis, Luckily for me the lady on reception was leaving to go home and gave me a permit for her spot which I found very kind of her (great customer service). Otherwise I would have had to park away from the hotel.
A good value hotel and location at a great price would stay again and would go for a high room with sea view. Would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Kaneohe
Reviewed October 21, 2013

stayed here for weekend, front desk staff not that friendly, they seem to not enjoy their job. we checked in found the room with cheap amenities, plastic hanger, coffee maker that was totally rusted at the warmer plate area, cheap towels, however, good water pressure in shower and toilet. hundreds of small tiny ants all over our bathroom counter and desk. mentioned this to the front desk, and was told, "we have ant spray, and its the season". oh well, we got what we paid $247 for 2 nights. but we won't stay here again.

Room Tip: not the greatest view on all sides.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Kona Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!