“Basic hotel, good location and breakfast”
Review of Kona Seaside Hotel

Kona Seaside Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Hotel with all basic amenities, carpet and furniture was clean. We had problem with ants in our bathroom, so had to go through the trouble of switching rooms. Hotel staff was helpful and gave us an option. We got a much better room with a good view after that. Our room included breakfast. Breakfast is a 2 min walk to the restaurant located on the backside of the hotel. The restaurant had great view of the sea and the food was great. So overall we liked our stay other than the ants episode.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with breakfast and on the higher floor facing the city. That is a good view of the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BK-AD
Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed here on 2 separate occasions in November 2011.
On the first occasion I arrived about 11.00am and a very helpful lady on the desk arranged for me to store my bag securely so I didn’t have to leave it in the car all day.
I had a look at the free parking near the hotel and I am sure it would have been fine for my rental car. I decided to pay the $5 to park at the hotel. It was worth it when I was leaving my bag for the day and also when I had to leave very early in the morning. The spaces in the hotel car park are a bit narrow and clearly some other guests had difficulty in parking between the lines which made it even more difficult.
I had very similar rooms each time; large and the bed was comfortable. I did have rooms overlooking the street so it was quite noisy. It didn’t matter for one night stays though. There was a lift in part of the hotel I was in.
There was a choice of 3 breakfasts for the “free” breakfast which was served in a restaurant overlooking the bay accompanied by ukulele music. I think you were only allowed one cup of coffee but the lady who served me was nice enough to give me a refill. Breakfast starts at 7am.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the street if noise is an issue for you.
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I have stayed three nights and it was great. If you look for fancy facilities, this is not a place. However, staff working there is very pleasant and helpful and the hotel room is cozy and clean. They have large free internet access area at the lobby with two new apple PCs. The hotel can keep your luggage after check-out if you need to catch late night flight out from Kona.Walking distance to many shops and restaurant. If you get a free-breakfast deal, it is worth it. No fancy breakfast but some choices and good service. Recommended for family trip as well.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Stayed here for two nights before the Ironman Weekend. Room was small, but the bed was so comfy. Location, location, location, couldn't be better. Complimentary breakfast at the adjoining restaurant was great. The staff was very helpful and let us store all of our equipment until we were able to move into our next location later that checkout day. Would be a great place for Ironman or Kona spectators/tourists.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ginger43337
Reviewed November 14, 2011

The Kona Seaside Hotel has become the place I want to stay when I'm visiting Kailua-Kona. Particularly with the recent upgrades to rooms in the high-rise tower and the replacement of the pay-to-use Internet service with free WiFi in the lobby along with two Mac's available for free usage there as well. But who goes to Hawaii to surf...the Internet. Location is central and staff is always friendly and helpful.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed 7 nights in Hawaii and visited 4 different hotels when circling the island on 10/2011. I found nothing wrong with the Kona Seaside Hotel. Was concerned about making reservations after reading a recent bad review posted. But I can honestly say we had a comfortable stay. The walking distance from car to room to pool wasn't a big deal and I'm a senior who doesn't work out. Common areas maintained well, room clean (no bug bites) and employees very knowledgeable of Island. My pics reflect those already posted, so found no need to post mine. All our needs were filled for a safe and comfortable stay. Thanks Kona Seaside!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BabyBoomer56
Reviewed November 1, 2011

A great value for location. We paid a great rate and decided to opt for the free breakfast option. My husband did not like being confined to the three breakfast choices, but I thought they were fine. The room carpet was dated, but immaculate. The ceiling fan was wonderful, didn't even need the AC, however it did work. Love that remote AC. The pools spotless and it was easy to get towels. Front desk were very accommodating. Parking was easy - some complained about it having small spaces, but we had a larger rental car and were always able to find a bigger space. $5 day for parking --- was worth it. Laundry facilities were great. The only thing that was concerning and I will not reduce the rating because of it, was the cigarette smoke. I could tell people were smoking in the building - maybe on the balconies, but I also noticed a lot of people in Hawaii smoke. My room was non-smoking but I would probably ask about their rules upon check in next time. Another "funny" thing was they don't use fitted bottom sheets and the way the housekeeper made the bed, she didn't leave much sheet to tuck in at the bottom. Just a funny quirk but probably their bed-making protocol. You can't get a better location for this price - yeah it is dated, but it was very clean.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family