17 people are viewing this hotel
$1,245
$1,245
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Lol.travel
$1,066
Hotels.com$1,245
travelup.com$1,189
ZenHotels.com$2,280
3,588 results
All reviews outdoor shower king's pond palm grove eagle ray beach tree pool swim up bar ulu restaurant golf course adult pool the big island beach house quiet pool steam room family pool pool service every staff member sea turtles
Selected filters
Reviewed July 18, 2019

The hotel staff is amazing and really make your trip easy and relaxing. The scenery is beautiful and the food at the resort is great. The staff at the beach attends to you all day offering ice water every ten minutes; truly amazing.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Four Seasons
1  Thank Sunshine137874
SHinsch, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2019

Aloha Gina,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, we will pass your sentiments on to our staff. We agree they really make this place so special. We hope we get the chance to extend our ho'okipa to you again sometime.

Reviewed July 18, 2019

My family of 4- 2 adults, 2 kids aged 6.5 and 9 just returned from our first stay at the FS Hualalai. This place is very special and we had a wonderful time. We had a 1st floor room on the lawn in front of the seashell pool. This was a great central location with easy access to the family (seashell) pool. There was never a problem with noise. The whole family enjoyed the outdoor lava rock shower. We rarely left the resort as we enjoyed our time so much. Daughters loved King's Pond so much they spent 6 hours there our first day- including touch tank, fish feeding, ray feeding, and swimming, snorkeling and playing in the "aquarium". One of the attendants fondly referred to them as fish.
The service was excellent overall. There was never a problem finding a place at the beach or pool and the attendants are very attentive in setting up your space with towels, menus, etc. The food and drinks at the pool come out very quickly. All the restaurant servers and staff are very polite, friendly, and attentive too. Beach Tree was our favorite- you can't beat the view and the ambiance, especially the live music in the evening as the sun is setting.
Swimming in the "ocean pool" is also amazing. We swam alongside sea turtles there more than once.
Our girls went to the kids club 3 times. Twice during regular business hours and once for a special event (Hawaiian Slime Night, 6-9PM, $100/each).

The ocean activities- Alakai Nalu are wonderful. You can book through the Four Seasons. We did a morning ribcraft snorkel trip. We were the only people on the trip so it was like a private tour. Kane and Casey took us out in search of dolphins, snorkel spots, and black sand beaches. We saw 100s of dolphins from within the boat, but amazingly, we were able to swim within the pod 3 different times. Magical!

The only critiques I have are:
- communicating w/ the concierge. We were in touch with the concierge by email starting months ahead of our trip. We had questions about the various restaurants, activities, etc and wanted to plan the perfect vacation. The concierge was not timely in responding, and several times we didn't get a response until we sent a follow up inquiry.
- additionally, upon arriving and checking in, we were told that the spa treatments we booked were not available as booked because the spa was undergoing repairs. We were never told this ahead of time. Instead of getting the couples massage in an outdoor hale followed by a hinoki bath, we had our massage in a popup spa assembled in unused guest rooms. No one ever communicated this to us in advance. Furthermore, we were led to believe the spa facilities (sauna, etc) were unavailable, but it turns out they were. We did not get the full spa experience, and probably would've made different plans if it were clearly communicated to us.

Overall, we had an amazing few days. Nightly rate and food/drink prices are quite high, the same as, or more so, than other luxe resorts we've been to that I'd probably return to again before returning to the FS Hualalai

1  Thank Deborah G

Aloha Deborah G.,

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback as we're always looking for ways to improve. Thank you for the kind words regarding our Kids for All Seasons, Alakai Nalu, pools and and our restaurants.We are addressing the issues you brought up regarding your spa experience as well as your experience with the concierge team, we appreciate you taking the time to show us room for improvement.

We would love to hear any additional comments you may have, so please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

With aloha,

Reviewed July 17, 2019 via mobile

Restaurant was good both for breakfast and dinner
Rest of the hotel was not worth the price. Rooms are small, older and the view is just OK. (We had an ocean view room that actually overlooked a dirty snorkeling pond with the ocean off in the distance).
Beach is clean but largely unswimmable, rocky etc - we did not see anyone swimming so we did not try either.

Overall underwhelming for the price paid (although probably true of other high end Big Island hotels too - seems to be a Hawaii thing - prices are out of touch with quality, possibly because of the “allure” of Hawaii - but Hawaii doesn’t compare in the least to other islands like the Maldives or Bora Bora, on which resort prices are quite similar).

Date of stay: October 2018

Aloha Travel Hound777,

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback and I apologize that your stay with us was less than ideal. I'm glad you enjoyed breakfast and dinner. If you would like to provide additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Mahalo!

Reviewed July 15, 2019

The last leg of our summer vacation to Hawaii with my husband and 4-year-old was to the Four Seasons Hualalai. My expectations were really high, considering the reviews I've seen here, and elsewhere as well.

Starting at the airport, a sweet woman helped us with our luggage and getting to our taxi. Once we got to the hotel, we had a nice man to help check in, and tell us all about the hotel. Our room wasn't ready (we arrived a little after 1pm, and we were told the room would be ready by 3pm, guaranteed). We went over to the Residents' Beach House for lunch. Lunch was great. We finished up, and headed back to the lobby. The room was still not ready, but it was by about 3:15.

The room was gorgeous - we had an Ocean View room, with a lava rock shower. Super spacious, even with the cot for our daughter. We loved the shower and used it daily. So peaceful, and different. Our room was right by Kings Pond, so another gorgeous view. There were only a few issues with the room that I found. The AC wasn't great - it never got cold enough for me. Additionally, the window shades didn't block out enough sunlight in the AM (I wish there were blackout curtains). Finally, our location proved a little loud in the mornings with food carts, housekeeping, golf carts going back and forth...it was a little startling and the first morning i thought something literally crashed into our room.Housekeeping was good, turndown a little sporadic even though I called to tell them what time was best for us.

We ate at every restaurant on the property. Our favorite was the Beach Tree, and I wish we could order the corn agnolotti right now. :) The 4th of July BBQ was fantastic. Ulu breakfast was quite good. Ulu (dinner) and Hualalai Grill were fine - nothing to write home about, and the prices were absolutely not worth the quality we had. Residents' Beach Club - we had a nice lunch, but dinner came and there were 2 issues. 1 - a bird pooped in my husband's drink and 2 - there was a piece of hard plastic in our appetizer which ended up in my mouth. The bird poop was absolutely not the restaurant's fault, obviously. The waiter gave my husband a new drink after he brought it to their attention. The plastic - not the same experience. I brought it up with the waiter and when he was apologetic, I was like "it's not a huge deal it happens, and we ate around it." That being said, nothing was taken off the bill. Frankly, I was really surprised - I didn't bring it up that night at the restaurant because I was so surprised, but did at the front desk upon checkout. The woman I spoke with there was nice, and apologetic and offered to take it off the bill. I declined because at that point it didn't really matter, since it had happened several nights before and it was more that I just wanted them to know that this had been our experience. To sum up - I expected WAY more than we got food wise (and service wise) at the Four Seasons. There are not any restaurants nearby the hotel, you are kind of stuck with what they have unless you are willing to drive 15-20 minutes. Regarding the plastic issue - again, just surprised. It's a Four Seasons, and I expected better in terms of resolution.

The pools are lovely - especially Kings Pond! I wish there was a 2nd pool for kids. The Seashell Pool was packed (4th of July weekend) and it just got to be a lot. Considering the size of the property, I'm surprised that the pool isn't larger. The "quiet pool" allows kids, but they aren't allowed to splash or make any noise, so it's not a great fit. I LOVE quiet pools and miss them now that I am a mom, but in the summer with kids, two pools (or one larger) would be better for sure! Pool service was great, though and we appreciated the snacks, etc. that were brought around.

All in all, it was a great stay. I think we'll probably wait until our daughter is a little older to come back to Big Island, as there are so many awesome excursions to do there that will be much easier when she is older. The little criticisms I have are mainly there because of the high price we paid to stay, and the quality we saw as slightly missing during this trip for a few things. I still rated it 5 stars because it really is, even with the small misses. If you come here, you will have a marvelous time. :)

4  Thank Christine E
SHinsch, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2019

Aloha vacay1201,

I want to thank you for this detailed review. We truly appreciate you highlighting the areas you enjoyed with us as well as giving us the opportunity to improve on areas that didn't meet your expectations. We are following up with our teams on the issues you brought up. I look forward to your return when your daughter is a bit older and we will welcome you back with aloha.

Reviewed July 13, 2019

Beautiful property but inconsistent staff in terms of service. We liked our room a lot and thought King’s Pond was very cool. The July 4th barbecue was outstanding. Great food and beverages and loved the fireworks.

Review collected in partnership with Four Seasons
1  Thank traveldiarist89
SHinsch, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2019

Aloha Elizabeth King,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We are so glad you took the opportunity to experience our Resort for the July 4th celebrations, and perhaps one day we will see you back! A hui hou!