Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
  • Restaurant
$140
$131
  • Breakfast included
Kona Seaside Hotel(Kailua-Kona)(Great Value!)
$154
  • Breakfast included
$212
Kona Tiki Hotel(Kailua-Kona)
3,064 results
All reviewsoutdoor showerking's pondpalm groveeagle rayswim up barcultural centerbeach tree poolgolf courseulu restaurantadult poolcold towelsthe big islandquiet poolmoment you arrivebeach houseice waterour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 16, 2010

After staying at the Four Seasons in Punta Mita Mexico twice in the last year, I was interested to see how Hualalai stacked up, they are reasonably similar places, but with plusses and small minuses or differences. After a long flight Hualalai is an easy 10-15 minute ride from the airport. Nice! Pleasant check in, rooms etc. have been fully and accurately discussed in other reviews. We had a ground floor room in the Seashell (family pool) area with a bit of a view. The outdoor shower was a treat, but probably for a couple another less family-oriented/busy crecent would be better. The resort is of relatively compact size,it might take 10 minutes to walk from end to end. Several corporate events, including a group of at least 100 took over some public spaces in the evening, and changed the atmosphere, not for the better since it feels odd to continually walking past a party to which you're not invited and the outdoor music might have been too much for the early to bed crowd. The gym and spa areas were outstanding, with spa service really hospitable, I no sooner peeked into the spa area than someone brought me a tray of fruits and nuts and a drink, even though I admitted that I was only nosing around. Really nice lap pool, gym/spa locker room and gender-specific private relaxation area, including outdoor showers and plunge pool/Jacuzzi. There were a number of fitness/yoga/Pilates classes a day which we didn't use, but I think the additional cost was minimal. This could be a nice alternative to a stay at a real spa for the fitness-oriented. The gym, lap pool, tennis facility and fitness area seemed largely used by residents. Tennis was quite good with daily drills, multiple good pros, and round robins 2X/week - a very friendly atmosphere at the tennis center which seemed resident-oriented. Prices for tennis were reasonable too, for $30 you get a drill, unlimited court time (there are lighted courts) and equipment, including shoes if needed. The beach is nice to walk along on the path, spectacular houses and small beaches in one direction and the retro Kona Village hotel in the other direction. Snorkeling was average, we did much better in other parts of the island. The restaurants were about what you would expect, the moon and stars (or something like that) buffet looked good - only Saturday night. Many guests seemed to eat on their terraces, as did we. If I came here with 3 or more people I'd probably check into renting a villa from one of the owners - the prices seem competitive with hotel rooms. Back to Hualalai Vs Punta Mita; kid areas at Punta Mita, especially the game room for older children are better. Distances between the room and pool and other facilities are better at Hualalai. Beach is a wash -- no real beach at Hualalai and the surf at Punta Mita is frequently so strong that it isn't reasonable for many. For tennis, advantage Hualalai; food quality/price is about the same. Rooms, very nice for both. Spa/gym physical facility, I'd stack Hualalai against anywhere, I didn't use any services. On resort activities - Punta Mita; off resort Hualalai for certain. As for "feel" it may just have been the presence of groups and outside functions, but I found Punta Mita warmer both on the guest-guest and management/staff-guest level.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kirbypwang
Reviewed May 12, 2010

What a fantastic hotel! There doesn't appear to be much action on The Big Island compared to other resort areas I've been to, but you really have no need to leave this resort. There is a lot to do!
There are several pools at the hotel, but we were mostly at the "quiet" pool. The service was fantastic. The pool attendants come by throughout the day with fun little surprises like cool towels, popsicles, aloe vera, evian spritz, samples of yummy cocktails and my personal favorite... cleaning your sunglasses.
What I loved the most about service at this hotel was that it was wonderful, but unpretentious. Very laid back atmosphere even though you're at a five star hotel.
I only went to the gym once while on vacation (bad!), but I have never seen better gym facilities at a hotel. The gym, which is made up of several small buildings with a lap pool in the center, has so much modern equipment it's crazy. You will never have to wait in line for a machine. I even saw a pilates room which appeared to have real pilates equipment.
Unfortunately, I did not make it to the cultural center but I heard great things about it.
We had some excellent meals at the restaurants. My husband's absolute favorite thing to eat was the ahi tuna sashimi. I kid you not, he ordered it 3 times in the first 24 hours!
I wouldn't necessarily pick The Big Island again if I go back to Hawaii, but I would most defintely pick the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank MerrimackMrs
Reviewed May 11, 2010

A fantastic place with a perfect location. Staff treated you like the Royal Family everywhere on the premises. Had the Saturday night beach BBQ at Pahu I'a and the food and service were phenomenal. Dinner four nights later was even better as you can hear and see the surf which was about 25 feet away from our tables. Rooms were very nice; however, you could hear your neighbors chairs being moved around on the tiled floors. Only draw back was that there were many "mini" conventions at the resort and some had the "college springbreak" mentality. I wish Four seasons would cut down on these conventions, but I'm sure it is a way for them to generate more revenue.

This is a not a place to go if you want a bargin or if you're on a budget. It is the Four Seasons and they will charge you top $ for everything. That being said, just go and have the time of your life! We plan to return there soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2010

This Four Seasons is one of the best. It is very expensive but I was lucky enough to be there for work. The rooms are the star here, all set in bungalow type structures with fantastic private outdoor showers. I am not as big of fan of the Big Island as other parts of Hawaii but when you stay at this resort it makes it worth it. You can swim at the beach here which you are unable to do at other resorts on the island. The service was great as usual. All in all it was a great stay and got me hooked on the Four Seasons experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank xcameronx
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Location, location, location. Absolutely beautiful and wonderful. Our stay was special and memorable. The room was gorgeous, clean and comfortable. The food was delicious and the staff was so friendly. Kudos to all!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends