“AMAZING!”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 8, 2006

My Husband and I spent a week here on our honeymoon. We arrived here after staying at the Princeville and this was a major upgrade. It is very expensive but worth every penny. The rooms are very spacious and decorated beautifully. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and all of the hotel restaurants and bars serve some of the best food in the world. When we arrived a staff member met us and retrieved our luggage while we went to get the rental car...it was great! I highly suggest one of the ocean front rooms because you are guaranteed to be right near the beach...it is pricey but worth it. The service was amazing. We hope we can make it back soon!

Stayed: September 2005
12  Thank JMM1979
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Reviewed January 4, 2006

This place gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!!! I want to go back right now!!! This hotel is so fabulous I dont even know where to start. Just go dont hesitate just go!!! This place is dreamy!! I felt like I literally died and went to heaven. I wont bore you all by giving every little detail of the trip but ill talk about some highlights.
1)Alan Wong restaurant-Ate there 3 nights in a row..great wine menu prix fixe was delicious!!!
2)spa-saw a rainbow coming straight out of my shower and then another one in my outdoor massage hut.breathtaking!!!
3)outdoor showers in our room with orchids growing right there in our shower!!!

no offense to anyone but there literally must be something wrong with you if you didnt absolutely love this place. first class all the way...go now!!!

• Stayed: October 2005
15  Thank aba640
philadelphia
Reviewed December 26, 2005

There are no pictures or words that can possibly describe the four seasons Hualalai. It is by far the most spectacular resort I have ever seen. The outdoor showers in the ground level rooms are to die for. The service is incredible. Everyone caters to you at all times, without being intrusive. I went on an all girls trip.....no there wasnt a lot of action there, but we had a great time meeting interesting people at the beach bar....which happens to have the best bartenders in the world. I can not imagine anyone not having the time of their lives at this resort. I did not want to leave. It is paradise.

Dont even think twice about this place...book it NOW and GO!

• Stayed: November 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 21, 2005

Ok, reading through the reviews to this place can be mis-leading. It is a pity that some folks may not have had the best experience. My wife and I however cannot even comprehend having a bad time here (unless you can not afford it). My observations are that this place is either a 4 star or 5 star depending how you like the surroundings and whether or not you had a bad experience with service or something. Keep in mind that the people working there are human beings. You would have to be dipped in boiling oil to give less than 4 stars to this place.

That aside, let me share our observations because the details are what makes fine living. I will try to be brief because there is so much to mention. Upon early arrival in a sold out timeframe, we got in our room promptly. They had champagne and fruit for us and cookies and milk for our daughter. We got the romance package and I recommend it to all. All notes to us were hand written and personalized. We were allergic to the plums they gave us and we left a note saying so. The next day we had different fruits and another note. During our stay they set up a telescope outside our room. I took music lessons at the cultural center. -Ohh yes, the artwork there was actually reasonably priced for some of the worlds best artists!- One time my daughter and I were returning from the beach walk and I saw a waitress delivering a couple drinks to the pool guests. I commented that they looked great and can't wait to get back to our room and order one. She stopped, looked at me and said "I think the bartender made an extra one." and handed it to me. Another time I remarked to the kids camp counselor that the tea mints from the turn down service were nice, but chocolates were our favorites. That night, a tray of chocolates -nice ones- were on our bed..with another hand-written note. The golf course was second to none and the carts and facilities were un-believabley new (the regular folks hit Titlest NXTs off the range and the pros get ProV1s). I did the 80 min massage and my wife did a treatment. It was tremendous. I asked for a newspaper in the morning and the reply was "We have 5 different papers to choose from or you can have them all. What would you like?" We had room 2201 and I would recommend it to any who care to try it. Each night at around 6:30, the pool cleared out and it was like having a private pool (beach tree pool)! Pictures do absolutely no justice, trust me on this! (and the temperature was perfect of course)

Now, the bed, the baths and all the robes and surroundings were fantastic. The tub fills in a minute because it was plumbed properly (nothing like a soaking tub that takes a 1/2 hour to fill). The rooms were a bit sparsely decorated (-.1 points). The outdoor showers were quite romantic. They provide music CDs and the room service prices were not very much differnt that the resturants. which btw...we checked in, went to the Beach Tree for lunch and checked out the menu. I look and see a hamburger for 17 bucks, smiled and looked at my wife and said.. "ohh well, welcome to Four Seasons." Well, this 'burger' shows up and the thing is a 1/2 pound of freshly ground filet mignon! It was out of this world! I was so full, we ordered a pizza for dinner in our room. The pizza was stellar!

To wrap this up, my daughter was with only us for two weeks prior in Kauai. She was kinda wanting to play with other kids so we took a walk to the kids center. Now we have seen many other kid care places at many other hotels and they mostly look like prisons (Marriott Lihui). This place was two buildings connected by a roof line. I could not get her away! We felt guilty! On one side was pool tables, pingpong, big screen TVs, air hockey and on teh other side was computers, crafts and games. Sure, you buy the lunch for 15 bucks, big deal. They are taking your kid on adventures, rock climbing, making crafts, feeding manta rays, paddling the outrigger! I mean, cmon how can you rate this place poorly? My daughter still pines about going back. I sat there and said to my wife "We ought to dump our Kauai timeshare (top notch Marriot) and just come here."

One last comment. We went to 4S in Mauai. The people there are a bunch of wannabees with a 'look at me, I'm cool' attutude. Not a lot in the way of smiles but plenty of unruly kids. The people at the Hualalai were more like 'I don't even have to try to be cool, that's for wannabees'. 4S Maui gets a 4.3 stars, rounded down to 4. Hualalai gets a 4.8, rounded up to 5. Again, nobody is completly perfect. And for more comparison, I give Princeville 4 stars, Kauai Marriott Lihue, 2 stars, Marriott Waiohai 3 stars (and that is generous, they just happen to have a great location and surrounding neighborhood.)

If you go, don't look at the bill, just order a burger and a lava-flow and soak it all in! room 2201

• Stayed: July 2005
35  Thank Sglloyd
Reviewed December 9, 2005

Based on tripadvisor I planned what I thought was my dream vacation. 3 Nights at the Grand Wailea Maui, 6 nights at the 4S Maui and 4 nights at the 4S Hualalai. Had I known how spectacular the 4S at Hualalai truly is, I would never have gone to Maui and would have stayed the entire time on the Big Island. As a note, we did not stay at the 4S Maui as did not like the rooms, liked the Grand Wailea more than expected, and you can read my reviews under those categories.

But the 4S at Hualalai is simply incredible. We had an oceanfront room which I would recommend if can swing it. We also had the Bed and Breakfast package which was a terrific value. We were right on the ocean and from anywhere in the room, the bed, bath or the lanai, felt like we could touch the ocean. Even through closed blinds could still hear the crashing waves.

Breakfast was amazing everyday. Healthy if you want and if don't, lots to eat.

The view and feel of this resort is almost indescribable. Our pictures do not do it justice at all (I tried to attach one to this review but wouldn't work). The walk along the beach through each section of the hotel is wonderful with lots of seats to choose from. Most restaurants are right on the water as well. It's lush from one end to the other, the service was impeccable, the food excellent and the spa delicious. Not only would I recommend this resort to anyone, I will certainly return and intend to make a reservation again for next year.

I agree with all previous reviews that the noise between the rooms is more than would expect, but nothing that bothered us that much. If you haven't been here and want a relaxing vacation in a beautiful location, make your reservation now, you won't be disappointed.

We stayed at the resort for 5 nights, longer than expected (but now having been there not nearly as long as I would have liked) and didn't leave except to take the Blue Hawaiian Island Spectacular which wasn't spectacular at all and I would recommend saving your money. It so happened the lava shelf broke while we were on the Big Island and so we actually saw lava flowing which admittedly, that 10 minutes of the 2 hour tour was exciting. Other than that, we were not impressed at all.

All in all, fantastic resort and I thank all the reviewers on this site as I chose to stay here based on the incredible reviews. You were not wrong....and many thanks.

Stayed: December 2005
19  Thank Tara14
Philadelphia
Reviewed December 5, 2005

The Four Seasons Resort Hualalai is simply the best, most incredible resort my wife and I have ever stayed at in our lives. "Understated luxury" says it best. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are wonderful and the food is really out of this world (and I am a very discriminating eater who typically does not like food at resorts).

We stayed in the Palm Grove section of the resort, which is very quiet. Our room was a ground floor, Ocean view with an outdoor shower in the back (very nice). We were able to sleep to the sounds of the Ocean, which is a real treat in my book. There also was a hot tub outside our room which we used very often (with a perfect view of the Ocean).

If you like to exercise, the gym facilities are incredible also - lots of machines, good classes (I took a spinning class which was very good) and if you like to run, there is a nice path along the Ocean which extends around the property (the paths are between 3 and 6 miles). There is nothing quite like jogging with the Ocean breaking against the Lava on one side and seeing the sparking green of the golf course on the other - really priceless.

We found the service to be very good also - very nice, very appropriate and definitely "on" most of the time. The other part that is appreciated is the lack of the "extra" charges. We have stayed at other resorts (e.g., Ikal del Mar in Playa de Carmen) where there is an absurd 15% service fee on top of the very high room rate. At Four Seasons, it is expensive, but your bill does not have surprises to it.

Finally, the Spa was also wonderful. Facilities are top rate and the massages are excellent.

Are the any problems? Yes, the walls are a bit thin and there were a couple of times when we heard our neighbors, but very little. One time we had to call to get our room made up at the end of the day.

But these were very minor issues. And all in all, this resort provided us with an experience we will not soon forget.

• Stayed: November 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle
Reviewed November 2, 2005

My husband and I just returned from 10 days at the Four Seasons Hualalai. Prior to booking our stay, I read nearly every review on this site, as well as many others, so I arrived with pretty specific expectations as well as a couple of potential concerns (which I was hoping would not materialize). This property is sensational in nearly every way that one would expect a property of this caliber to be. The site is beautiful, the resort is beautifully constructed and laid out and the rooms are well above average. The pools are incredible, with great views of the ocean and nice lounge chairs, umbrellas and cabanas. All the restaurants and bars are within feet of the beach and the ocean waves, allowing you to sit literally with your toes in the sand for an informal meal or drink if you desire. The least expensive golf/ocean rooms have great ocean views and do not face any streets or parking lots. They are well appointed, with walk-in closets and main floor rooms have the famous outdoor lava rock showers.

Having said all that, what really makes this an exceptional place is the incredible attention to customer service. From the moment you arrive at the airport until the time you drive off the property at the end of your stay, *everything* is taken care of for you. At the airport, a Four Seasons representative gets your luggage while you are sent off to get your rental car. At check-in, the process is quick and uncomplicated (and they are expecting you at the desk as well as when you go through the gate into the resort grounds). Whenever you need your car valeted, it is there within moments of your request. The service here is truly exceptional. Of special note is the pool staff. I cannot speak highly enough about the care and attention given to every guest at the pool. Set up on your lounge or cabana, water, sunscreen, cold towels, Evian spritzes, fruit, prompt food and drink service. It’s all there, and in a very low-key way. Absolutely the best I have seen in any setting.

To address some of the less positive things that are occasionally said in reviews on this site: I would have to agree that there is more room-to-room noise than you would expect. The first few nights of our stay, we did hear a baby crying at regular intervals during the night. Also, we had a couple of nights where the guests in the room above us were extremely disruptive. We chose not to call at the time (a mistake), but when we notified the resort manager, our issue was taken very seriously and remedied to our satisfaction (in fact, he personally visited us poolside to speak with us). Turn-down service was sporadic (in terms of happening much too late), but a call to housekeeping to request a specific timeframe is the remedy for this (in fact, I would recommend that you request a timeframe as soon as you arrive and this will never be a concern).

Food and drink are very expensive. But, this is The Four Seasons, and even though the food is expensive, it is also of extremely high quality. We never felt like we were being “ripped off”. Also, the property is somewhat isolated (it’s about 10 miles either direction to restaurants and shopping), but the good news is that the place is so incredible, you really don’t want to leave anyway!

The spa and fitness center are also excellent. All treatments are great, and there is no problem getting appointments (something that I’ve had issues with at other high-end resorts)

I whole-heartedly recommend this resort over anything else in the Islands (and I have stayed in some very nice places on Maui and Kauai). If you are looking for the ultimate vacation where you can relax, have your every need taken care of and never feel the need to leave an incredible, luxurious, but informal feeling resort, this is the place for you. We will most definitely make this a regular get-away from it all vacation. This place is expensive, and I don’t regret a single penny of the money we spent to stay there.

And, don’t miss the sea turtles on the beach and a visit to the Residents Beach House for great lunch and incredible drinks.

• Stayed: October 2005
26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!