After years of anticipation and several forced cancellations, my wife and I finally stayed at the Four Seasons Hualalai. I was a little worried that the resort would not live up to the hype—particularly in light of the fact we had really enjoyed the first part of our trip at the Mauna Lani. As it turns out, I had nothing to worry about. The facilities are fantastic and the staff is wonderful. In fact, every aspect of this hotel seems well thought out from the fitness facilities to the general store to the restaurants and pools to the complimentary laundry facilities. Highlights for us included morning and sunset walks along the beach paths, breakfast at Pahui’a, snorkeling with and feeding the Eagle Rays in the Kings Pond, relaxing in a chaise under the tree at the beach, and an extremely enjoyable round of golf. The only shortcoming is, as others have mentioned, the extremely beautiful rooms should be more soundproof than they are. This was not a significant issue for us but it could be since the resort runs close to capacity most of the time.
We could not have been happier with our stay. In fact, we did something we have never done at a resort in Hawaii—we parked our car and never left. However, this may not be the best resort for those who are value conscious. The Four Seasons cost us more than double per night what we had paid at Mauna Lani earlier in the week (which was a very good deal) and it certainly was not twice as nice. Nor was it worth hundreds of dollars a night more than some other wonderful places we have stayed like the Orchid, the Hyatt Kauai, or the Kea Lani or Ritz on Maui. Good deals are rare because the Four Seasons is extremely popular and they don’t need to offer them. Once you check in, the prices for food etc. compare to other high-end resorts and the quality is generally better. I suspect many or most of the people who stay here would not care about this kind of value analysis but we do (I'm pretty sure our disposable income is lower than most guests). We are extremely glad we decided to stay here and will undoubtedly return, but we could not justify it every time we go to Hawaii.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled along the legendary Kona-Kohala Coast of Hawaii Island, Hualalai is a Hawaiian destination unlike any other. Blessed with 863 acres of lush oceanfront beauty, authentic Hawaiian artistry and the highly customized services of the award-winning Four Seasons, Hualalai is a holistic, sustainable and globally renowned community that continues to set the standard by which all other resorts are measured. Hualalai inspires and enriches every experience, forever transforming and connecting the lives of all who come here. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Hualalai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu Hotel Kailua-Kona
- 4 Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu
- Four Seasons Kailua-Kona
- Kailua-Kona Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Hawaii
- Four Seasons Hualalai
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai Hawaii/Kailua-Kona