“Gorgeous property”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is one of our favorite get-away resorts on the islands.

When you arrive, Four Seasons customer service greets you with leis and guava or mango juice. From there, they escort you to a guest seating area in an open air lobby. It is paradise as soon as you sit back and take it all in. From check in, they give you a tour of the resort in a golf cart (the property is spread out over several acres) and then drop you off at your room.

There are several pools. Something for everyone (kids and adults). The restaurants and bars are all very inviting and have been lively during the tourist season and can be very quiet during the off-season.

We've had several visits over the years and will continue to return to this island favorite!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keywestconch
Write a ReviewReviews (3,028)

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Beautiful grounds, nice service, but very crowded and a lot of screaming children. We felt like we were on display trying to have breakfast on our balcony. We faced the quiet pool, but there was a constant string of people walking by, talking loudly at all hours. The amount of children running through the resort - especially in the quiet area was a turn off. Children under 12 should not be allowed past the Beach Tree restaurant. Overall we expected a bit more from a Four Seasons. This resort was nice, but not up to other FS standards.

3  Thank cpwife
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Greetings from Hualalai!

We appreciate the time you spent sharing your observations regarding your recent visit to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. I am so sorry the peace and tranquility of the resort was spoiled by noisy children. We have many families visiting when children have breaks from school, so when you plan your next trip to our resort, you might want to consider coming during less busy months. Please check with our reservations team who can tell you when we do not anticipate a high number of children in house.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

With warmest aloha,

Rheba Crane
Executive Administrative Assistant

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. This was an incentive trip with our business, and an all-expense paid trip. This does make a huge difference in my vote, because the rooms are usually over $800 per night. So when the 'cost' of a resort like this is taken 'out' ... it is Heaven on Earth! We had such an amazing time! The staff is very friendly, and they all go out of their way to say, "Aloha!"

The food in the restaurants is Fresh and every meal was exceptional. It is a great resort, and we will be back!

Room Tip: Most Rooms have Ocean View. The rooms on the 2nd floor do Not have an outdoor shower. But the priv...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We just came back from Hualalai and like to going back to the heavenly place on Big Island very soon. This is our 4th time but we feel services, foods and activities are saving high standard or even getting better. Like their every time Aloha at the location, all staff provide 100% services in each moment.

We totally agree with recommended comments but adding to that is how good staying Hualalai for the kids. My 4yr son afraid of dark but excited to see lizard, turtle in the sea and big bright stars. 7yr daughter loves swimming made a new friend in the pool, feeding Eagle ray, enjoy Sushi on URU. We spend a few days at Honolulu but kids spend only minutes in the pool and said want going back to Hualalai.

And for my wife, She insist not to go to spa because happy enough to see our kids enjoying pool and activities or do something with them.

Room Tip: Ask room nearby Sea Shell if you with Kids, those rooms are very convinient access to restaurant, fr...
1  Thank YA6717
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We've stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui. The FS in **Maui** is the best hotel experience of my life so we were wondering if the FS Hualalai could outdo it.

Short answer: I don't think so.

First off, I'm not a fan of the Big Island itself. The ride from the airport to the hotel felt like a drive through a volcanic war-zone. Yes, I get the whole history of the volcanic island, and I can appreciate a little black lava rock here and there on the landscape for contrast, but the lava rock is literally everywhere. I guess that doesn't bother everybody, but I'm just saying I didn't like it--at all. I probably would have liked the Hilo side better since that is considered to be the lush, green side. But it's rainy there, so maybe not.

FS Hualalai tries very hard, and don't get me wrong, is an exquisite hotel by anyone's measure. And it does have some features that overshadow the Maui location. But if I was going to choose between the two, FS Maui is unbeatable.

Here are the PLUS POINTS of FS Hualalai:

* Resort is very close in proximity to the beach. Restaurants and some of the rooms are literally steps from the sand. The ocean view is IN YOUR FACE, and isn't that what you want at a resort? Let me answer this one for you. Yes, it is.

* Once you get to the hotel, the landscaping is green, green, green. Lots of greenery everywhere. Rainforest-like.

* The size of the resort is expansive and private. Everyone you see is a guest of the resort. You don't have people from other resorts cutting through your hotel property.

Here's where FS Hualalai fell short:

* CHECK-IN
When we arrived, the check-in process was awkward. We had to wait for our room to be cleaned, so we had a delayed check-in. The timing of it worked out fine since we had not eaten lunch yet, so we went to get a bite to eat while they prepped the room. When we got back from lunch, a gentleman in a hawaiian shirt that looked like he might be part of the check-in staff, barely introduced himself and handed me a cilpboard with a form to fill out. There was no "...I'll be checking you in..." introduction. He just gave us his name and kept standing there with the clipboard. Then, after a few more painful, awkward moments, he motions for us to fill out the form on the clipboard. All the time, we're wondering, is this the guy that's checking us in, or is this a bellman just getting some info before the main front desk staff person shows up?

Well, as it turned out, this guy in the hawaiian shirt **was** the main check-in guy. He didn't do a good job of welcoming us to the hotel. For me, it wasn't a good first impression at all. The bellman who met us a few minutes later was much more accommodating. He took us on his golf cart and took us to our room. We asked for a tour of the grounds before bringing us to our room and he agreed to do that for us.

* RENTAL CAR
Our rental car that we secured through the hotel was brought to us dirty--unwashed with trash from the previous guest still inside the car. If we weren't in such a rush that day, I would have said something, but we had to get on the road, so I didn't. Never expected that to happen at a hotel of this caliber. This is something I should have brought up to the front desk at check-out but I didn't feel like getting into it!

* COFFEE/CROISSANTS
The hotel supplies coffee and simple pastries in the lobby every morning. We would routinely go down to the lobby every morning to drink some coffee and relax a bit before getting the day started. Almost every morning of our stay, I had to go to the front desk to tell them that the coffee (and pastries!) were out, and that they needed to be replenished. Once I can understand, but every morning? It's all about the attention to details in the luxury hotel!

The room was nice and spacious, the bed comfortable, and the balcony very wide and private.

The food in the restaurants was hit and miss. For the most part, pretty good, but it took some time to figure out what was good on the menu. We found the Resident's Beach House to be the best for food. The desserts there were great and when I told the waitress how much I liked the dessert one night, she told me she would try to get the recipe for me. The next day, it was emailed to me. I found out that Resident's Beach House is not a part of the Four Season's resort.

Overall, a good experience but not great for me. I didn't feel like the price for the room was worth it. The best part of the hotel is the fact that the beach is so close to the hotel and the wait staff for the pool and beach area do a very good job of making sure you're taken care of.

I was going to give them a three star rating, but when I told my wife and daughter that, they freaked out and scolded me for ever having such a thought. So I'm giving FS Hualalai four stars since I'm factoring in my whole family's experience.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Darien2011
Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I flew to Hawaii from the UK and booked a couple of days at the four seasons to recover from our jetlag before beginning the more serious business of exploring the islands. The service was absolutely impeccable from check in to check out. We loved the congratulations bottle of champagne on arrival, our beautiful ocean facing room, the beach, the quiet pool, the turtles snoozing, the food at ulu, our massages in the spa and the beautifully manicured grounds and gardens. Only complaint (and it's really not one) is that it's so completely divorced from reality it feels a bit surreal!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Aloha!!

We like to think that Four Seasons Resort Hualalai is a magical place and reading your review, I think you felt the magic! Even the turtles enjoy the peace and tranquility of the resort and I loved your comment that they were "snoozing."

I hope you will visit with us many times in the months and years to come, perhaps for every wedding anniversary!

Mahalo for writing!

Rheba Crane
Executive Administrative Assistant

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Visited the Four Seasons Hualalai in mid-July of this year and it was spectacular. Our room was a two-bedroom suite with beautiful views of both the ocean and the grounds/pool - it was hands down the nicest vacation set up I have ever experienced. It even had a steam shower with aromatherapy, a personal favorite of mine. My kids LOVED the snorkeling area, and we all LOVED the pool. It was very large, and never felt crowded. Although my kids are tweens now, I saw the toddler section which was a mom's dream come true - including mini cabanas and adirondack chairs and a zero entry sand bottom pool. As a side note - each collection of rooms had an building outside it with laundry facilities and all the supplies you could need - I was able to throw a few loads in before the end of our trip making our return home even relaxing!!! The staff is truly amazing, and should be the example of Customer Service for all other businesses - they are all kind and accommodating. ULU had the best breakfast buffet I have ever experienced - and we had some amazing lunches by the pool, and dinners at the Beach Tree. I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the Hotel Lobby which seemed like a great location and pretty central to every...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
13 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!