We traveled as a family with 2 young children (4 yrs and 6 months) and stayed for a week in the fall of 2013. We had a large oceanfront suite, which was spacious and beautiful and right on the ocean. Highly, highly recommend ...
SERVICE ... every staff member we encountered from the general manager to the concierge to the housekeepers to the waitstaff was genuinely warm, pleasant and helpful. Folks appeared to enjoy their work and were responsive to requests and attentive without being oppressive. This was consistent throughout our stay and with each and every Four Seasons employee we interacted with.
FAMILY FRIENDLY ... this is a resort made for families. You will enjoy yourself too if you are traveling without kids (adult pool is on the opposite end of the resort as the kid-pool and kid-friendly ocean lagoon) but this place was especially great for our family vacation. The concierge was able to outfit our room prior to arrival with a crib, a playpen, a highchair, a bouncy chair, a baby bath, baby shampoo, a few baby toys, safety rails on the bed for the 4-year old, outlet covers, and even a child-sized kimono bathrobe, just like mom and dad's. The seashell pool (kid's pool) has pack-n'-plays available for use poolside as well as goggles and toys for the bigger kids. The family pool itself was pretty unremarkable, but the location and ocean views can't be beat, and it was full of happy children having fun. The resort also offers many fun activities for children and families, and a wonderful authentic family luau in a cool outdoor amphitheater. They also can arrange a reasonably-priced nanny.
LOCATION ... weather for us was perfect. High of 80 to 85, low of 70 to 75, pretty much every day of our visit. We had one windy afternoon, but even then it was warm and glorious. There is a great, protected swimming area with some easy and fantastic snorkeling. Also, there are tons of accessible tidepools and sea turtles all over the place. The resort feels secluded, but is about 10 minutes from the airport, and 15 minutes from groceries and a Target.
FACILITIES ... there was some damage from the Japanese earthquake and tsunami 2011 and some updates have been made. Overall, the place felt clean and modern without being so polished you're worried about getting sand on the floor.
There were just a few things that could have been different that would have made this trip perfect ... the 'kitchen' in the suite had a full-sized fridge, micro, coffeepot, etc., but literally no counter space for any kind of dishes or prep, and no stove-top. Washing bottles was challenging in the tiny sink. Also, did I mention everything was really expensive? REALLY expensive. I get it. It's the 4 Seasons. One shouldn't be surprised. But, I was surprised. The food at the restaurants was overall quite delicious for resort fare, but I don't like to eat at a restaurant every morning, noon and night, even when traveling. I would have appreciated a more adequately sized kitchenette to facilitate cooking a few easy meals for myself and the family.
Other than these two minor complaint, the trip was phenomenal. I wish I was there right now ...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resting on the picturesque Kona-Kohala coast of Hawaii Island, the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai combines the warm aloha of the Islands with the impeccable signature service recognized by Four Seasons guests worldwide. With 243 guest rooms, an award-winning golf course, and seven pools, Four Seasons Resort Hualalai is the only Forbes Five Star and AAA Five Diamond Rated Resort in Hawaii. The Resort offers five dining options, including 'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge, the only Forbes star-rated restaurant on the Island. Chefs in each dining outlet work with ingredients from over 160 local farms, and 75% of the food served is from Hawaii Island. The comfortable and spacious accommodations at the Resort are housed in intimate two-story bungalows arranged in small crescents along the beachfront and golf course. Additional features include an Ocean Adventures team, seven tennis courts, a spa with 14 treatment rooms and salon services, and a Cultural Center with classes and activities highlighting Hawaiian culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, HotelPower, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Hualalai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Four Seasons Kailua-Kona
- Kailua-Kona Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Hawaii
- Four Seasons Hualalai
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai Hawaii/Kailua-Kona