“If you don't love where you stayed than you over paid...”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was said to us by one of the bartenders at the FS. True, True, True!!! You'll likely learn nothing new from my review. Whenever possible I prefer to gaurentee my experience. This four seasons is a lock! We upgraded to a large suite with a huge patio, lanai, and breathtaking ocean views. Money well spent. We played tennis, golf, ping pong, we drank, we ate we had cigars on the beach with new friends. Flawless and timeless elegance executed to perfection. The place is a trap, nearly impossible to leave. Why would anyone want to....ever. Please, do yourself a favor and stay here and go big when you do.

Room Tip: 1104 or any suite with an outside shower is a MUST!!!
5  Thank jbdmd
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Greetings from Hualalai,

Vacations are all about building great memories and after reading your comments, I think you took home a lovely memory of your visit to our resort. You paid us the nicest compliment I've heard in a long time when you said "Flawless and timeless elegance executed to perfection." Mahalo!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Four Seasons with my wife, our two year old and a 5 week old. While it wasn't our first choice to travel with a newborn, our company was holding a retreat and we didn't have much flexibility on the timing and were very hesistant about going.

No regrets now. First a shout out to Taylor or Tyler at the front desk - when we arrived they had us in a great room, but far from the kiddie pool area. I asked when I checked in if we could get a room change and they said they would look into it but never heard back. The next morning I spoke with Taylor and he made it a priority. By 11 AM, he had two options for us and made arrangements for us to be moved - even though his shift had already ended - he stuck around a bit to make sure we didn't transferred to someone else at the desk and have to start the process over. Our new room was perfect! it had a larger foyer which worked great for the strollers and changing table and we were very close to the pool and ocean.

The 'baby proofing' option was amazing. We had a crib, night stand, diaper genie, swim diapers, baby shampoo, stuffed animal (seal puppy) and even embroidered bibs for our little girls. We felt that not only did they accomodate children at the resort - they were genuinely welcomed - if not celebrated! One night, they had a hulu dancer who did a wonderful show during dinner at the Beach Tree. When she was nearly finished, she came over and talked to our two year old who was fascinated. Before we finished talking she left our two year old with a beautiful crown of flowers she had made and been wearing. Our daughter saw her a few days later during breakfast service and was really happy to see her 'friend'. The pool cabana had everything we needed to have fun in the ocean and pool for a two year old. The service at the beach was great. My wife was able to stay outside at the beach in complete shade, relative privacy entire afternoons - while being taken care of by very kind and attentive staff. Everytime an employee passed us, they gave us a warm "aloha". Our two year old was so pleased with all the warm greetings, that she immediately began tellinging everyone she saw at the resort "hello-ha" thinking that was how everyone said hello - and that you must say hello to everyone you saw.

Meals were good - we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Ulu and the hamburgers and onion rings at the Grill were the best we've ever had. We ate at all the restaurants and while prices were high, quality and portions were very adequate. My wife and I have stayed at several luxury resorts on the Hawaiian islands and this is a new favorite. We thought the St. Regis was great in Princeville, but the layout of the resort was better as was the service at the Four Seasons. We will be back!

Room Tip: second floor room have better views......
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank glbltrotter

Hello-ha from Hualalai!!

Your review was so refreshing and fun to read! You are absolutely correct when you say that our young guests are top priority. There is nothing sweeter to watch than children splashing in the Sea Shell pool, dancing on the Beach Tree lawn to Hawaiian music or playing at Kids for All Seasons. I am happy to hear that your two-year-old made friends with the hula dancer.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our resort many times in the months and years to come. We love watching the little ones grow up!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We loved our stay here (we have stayed at Maui Four Seasons). The Hualalai resort is much more relaxed (no competition for beach chairs for instance!) and much more tranquil. That said, the beach in Wailea is much better. The beach at Hualalai is a small area that is essentially walled in by a (man-made?) reef-- although there are still lots of coral and rocks on the bottom and I cut my feet a few times. The pools are nice though, and comparable to Maui. The service may actually have been better here-- everyone was very friendly and attentive.

We also got an upgrade from a partial ocean front view behind the kids area to a full ocean front view behind the tranquility pool-- which was fantastic. The room was spacious, clean, with large hot tub, indoor and out door shower, high ceilings, and a veiw out to the ocean from our room. The food options weren't great, and I'd give the food 3 stars, and also it was very expensive. There was a good beach side smoothie place though.

Overall, great place, but for the beach and food giving 4 stars.

Aloha!

I am happy to hear that we were able to provide an upgraded accommodation for you and that you found our staff to be friendly and attentive. I too wish we had a lovely white sand beach here at the resort, but the island is so new (relatively speaking!) and there are few swimmable beaches on the Big Island. We here at Hualalai compensate with several swimming pools, including King's Pond, our snorkeling pool.

We hope that the positives far outweigh the negative of no great beach, and that you will visit many times in the months and years to come. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This place is so nice I could sell my beachfront condo on Siesta Key and move here. If you are going to stay here you will be amazed. All the detail to attention is amazing. It was so nice to be somewhere in which the staff are very attentive. I see some say the staff is rude. I did not experience that at all. The Four Seasons is not inexpensive. You know that ahead of time. Do not expect the $3.00 grilled cheese. The rooms are amazing. The pool staff was just awesome. Treat yourself to a daybed. We ended up reserving a day bed for the rest of our stay. It was great to be able to take a break from the sun. The little extras were spot on.
Enjoy and spoil yourself while you are here. Cannot wait to return.
Thank you to all of you who made our vacation one of the best we ever have had.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oscar42o

Aloha!

Your opening comment really caught my eye. We sold our home in South Florida 17 years ago and moved to the Big Island, so I can relate to people who are contemplating moving to Hawaii! Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know you had a wonderful Hualalai visit and that you found our staff to be attentive and friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our little slice of paradise!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed at the Four Seasons Hualalai for a work incentive trip awarded to my husband. We didn't know what to expect but were very pleased with the kind, attentive service. The staff was very informative regarding the resort's amenities yet we also felt free to enjoy privacy. I have never encountered a cleaner room! The housekeeping staff gave us a choice of timeframe for cleaning and we chose a time that we normally were out of the room so never encountered them but enjoyed the fresh results each day. You can't find a more beautiful resort that maintains a natural setting on the big island.

Room Tip: We had a partial ocean view and it was beautiful, looking over the saltwater pool to the ocean. No n...
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Oh my, where to start. We visited this phenomenal resort for the first time earlier this year as surprise birthday trip for my husband. Coming up on a big anniversary we decided to return. I have to admit, I was a little anxious as our first trip was beyond fantastic. Could the Four Seasons deliver the same quality again? Would the consistency be there in all categories? I'm happy to say it was!!!

The concierge did an excellent job of helping me secure a floral arrangement and cake for our anniversary night, as well as keeping track of our many (changing) dinner reservations and incoming packages. These ladies are on the ball!

I had a fantastic swimming lesson with Rita at the fitness center.

It was especially nice being remembered by staff like Grant at the Palm Grove pool and Chris at the water sports desk.

Being take care of by the pool attendants on a daily basis - Eric, Shawn, Cat and Katie - really made our vacation. I feel my husband finally mastered the art of relaxing and these people deserve much of the credit.

The food did not disappoint. All that ocean air just keeps you hungry and the resort delivers. Breakfasts at Ulu, lunches by the pool and dinners at Beach Tree - yes, we ate there 5 out of our 6 nights - we were happy and well fed. Teddy does a great job of managing that restaurant.

The shopping on property is to die for. I took a morning and browsed around - great offerings and wonderful staff.

I didn't get the chance to take a yoga class or climb the rock wall. Those will be on my "to do" list for our next visit. Also we didn't get into King's Pond this time around, but will definitely do next time.

And trust me...there will be many next times!

P.S. A final word about weather. The Four Seasons really knew what they were doing when they built this incredible property on this exact piece of land. You basically have 2 volcanoes shielding you from oncoming inclement weather. At one time during our stay, all the islands were being pounded with rain, but our little slice of paradise only had a light smattering during the evening. This particular piece of land gets the BEST weather in all the islands. 82-88 degrees year round, and if it does rain, it's only for a bit while the sun is still shining.

Also, I was saddened to read previous reviewers complaining about the newer rain showers (they are MAGNIFICENT!) and body products. I think these products are even better than the previous name brand ones.

2  Thank Stephanie L

Greetings from Hualalai!

I first read your comments you you completed our electronic survey and now the Trip Advisor review - mahalo for the lovely compliments you heaped on our resort and staff! One of the easiest jobs here on the Kona side of the island is being a weatherman since our weather is so predictable - sunny all day with possible late afternoon or evening showers. I like to tell people it's always beautiful at Hualalai.

As you have discovered, we are fortunate to have a wonderful staff who are so willing to extend their aloha. I shared your "pats on the back" with the people you mentioned and we all send our best regards to you.

We will hold you to your promise to return many times in the years to come. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Every moment from arrival to departure was perfect. Rooms are spacious and well appointed, resort is stunning, restaurants excellent. Range of activities on offer is enough to keep you busy if thats what you want, but just walking along the beach is breathtaking. Can only hope that I will get to stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 74pj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!