After seeing the reviews on Tripadvisor and having it rated the #1 Hotel IN THE WORLD it was hard not to have high expectations of this hotel, and why shouldn't you? I have been to nine different four seasons and I'm almost never disappointed. This happens to be the 2nd most expensive property I've visited (after Florence, Italy) I simply cant understand how they built this property. Amazing views of the ocean. Their rooms however, were constructed in bungalows that are surrounding their four pools in a crescent shape. The problem is that all the walkways around the hotel are surrounding the bungalows. In the majority of rooms, if the person has their shutters open, you can clearly see everything (and everyone) in the room. My wife and I literally had to keep the shutters closed in the morning until we were completely dressed. The second floor rooms have bathroom windows overlooking the walkways to the lobby! I accidentally (I swear!) saw a few people showering as I was walking to the lobby because they didn't raise their blinds high enough. If you're out on the balcony, expect to have people walking right by your room unless you have a 2nd floor room, which may be recommended since you hear every footstep from the people on top if your on the 1st floor, but then again, you'll lose the outdoor shower, so its a dilemma! And that is the problem with this hotel. Is the hotel good? Yes. Is it great? NO I don't think so. And if I'm paying $250 a night for a room I could handle great. When I'm paying $1,000+ a night I expect fantastic, and I definitely did not receive that.
There were some service issues with the management as well, but nothing that would indicate a service problem in general with the hotel. One other issue that really left a bad taste in my mouth was that within 3 minutes of arriving at the hotel, the woman who was checking us in tried to sell us on a suite "that's normally $2,000 a night for only $500 more a night." I found that to be extremely distasteful. I have been to been four seasons and I've never been upselled on a room. I have however, been upgraded by management many times without asking, which, although not necessary, is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Four Seasons.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled along the legendary Kona-Kohala Coast of Hawaii Island, Hualalai is a Hawaiian destination unlike any other. Blessed with 863 acres of lush oceanfront beauty, authentic Hawaiian artistry and the highly customized services of the award-winning Four Seasons, Hualalai is a holistic, sustainable and globally renowned community that continues to set the standard by which all other resorts are measured. Hualalai inspires and enriches every experience, forever transforming and connecting the lives of all who come here. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Hualalai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu Hotel Kailua-Kona
- 4 Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu
- Four Seasons Kailua-Kona
- Kailua-Kona Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Hawaii
- Four Seasons Hualalai
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai Hawaii/Kailua-Kona