“Is this Heaven? No..its' Hawaii.” 5 of 5 stars

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Garden City, New York
“Is this Heaven? No..its' Hawaii.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I recently spent the first leg of our Honeymoon at Hualalai in the beginning of October. I did a great deal of research in selecting the hotels and and based on the reviews I had a feeling we were in a for a real treat here on the Big Island with the Four Seasons, but I couldnt have imagine our introduction to the Four Seasons culture quite like this. Let me say that the resort is absolutely stunning...meticulously manicured and landscaped; the design incorporating the natural lay of the land with the lava rocks and native flora is outrageous. It's very strange b/c there is definitely a positive energy coming from the place..the resort feels like you're in a prehistoric jungle with all the amenities of the 21st century. The place is lit by tiki torches at night and you feel like youre on an episode of Survivor or Temptation Island! Haha

From the moment you step foot to the minute you leave you really do feel like you are part of their "family" and are a part of soemthing special. We were upgraded to an ocean-view room overlooking King's Pond which was perfect!! Spetacular pond and ocean view while still providing the privacy we desired. The room is very big w/ a littel lanai and we had the oudoor garden shower (def a MUST!) and earth-toned interior is very soothing.

The restaurants are all awesome as we at at all three. The Beach Tree pool and Serenty Pools are fantastic...the bar by the adults only Serenity Pool has its own herb garden which is used in making all the specialty drinks (think fresh blueberries and mint muttled in your blueberry mojito...goddamn it was good!)

The Spa was amazing we had a couples massage for an hour and it was pure heaven.. The gym/spa amenities were all stellar and now I know why its ranked as a top spa worldwide.

AND now, onto the SERVICE. All other hotels should send their staff here to see what service is all about. The housekeepers and groundscrew and everyone says "Aloha" with a smile and MEANS it...they truly love working here. The managment is the best Ive ever encountered and the completely bend over backwards and do thoughtful things to personlaize your stay. Example: shout out to Damon, the resort activities manager (the man!) -- there were alot of couples on their honeymoon while we were staying and he organized a Cocktail Hour Meet & Greet for all the couples!! So we got to meet some really nice people from all over the country and even made some new friends too! We also were invited to a Managers reception where we got interact with all the top managers of the resort...great meeting Florian (go Bayern!) -- people like him who are so friendly and really make the resort what it is b/c they genuinely value real live feedback and then implement it!

This leg of our trip stood out, far and above, the other islands (we did stay at FS Maui, but it wasnt even a comparison)..and our experience already has us planning a trip for one of our anniversaries. It is VERY expensive, but what you get in return far outweighs the monetary amount associated with it...memories to last a lfetime and will keep you coming back for more. I cant wait to be a part of the Hualalai "family" again!

3 Thank DirtyDave516
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Warmest greetings from Hualalai!

I am thrilled beyond words to read that your honeymoon experience at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai exceeded all of your expectations. You certainly have an eye for detail and description. Mentioning the small herb garden at the Palm Grove swim-up bar proves that point! I love your description of the resort, "feels like you're in a prehistoric jungle with all the amenities of the 21st century."

Damon, Florian and all of your Hualalai 'ohana truly do value your patronage and feedback. We cannot wait to welcome you back, perhaps for every anniversary or to celebrate other special occasions. Mahalo for writing!

Executive Administrative Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Beautiful property, considerate and thoughtful staff, expansive lush grounds, so much flora and fauna! I swam with turtles, had inspiring meals three times a day (seriously fantastic!), the spa and gym were lovely. Beautiful rooms! Sunsets, dolphins, spinning sharks out at the reef! Simply the most delightful vacation! Thank You!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank canadians2
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Greetings from Hualalai!

What a lovely review! Mahalo! I am so happy to hear that you had a beautiful, relaxing vacation and I hope you are already planning your next trip to Hualalai. Anticipation is half the fun!

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed the resort location, food, and our oceanfront king room. Very sweet and memorable experience. Appreciated that our room had wine glasses and a corkscrew always at the ready. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job, working around our schedule, and keeping the place looking immaculate. I normally pass on turn-down service, but it was well worth it here. We requested and received a second floor room, which we liked for the elevated views and the vaulted ceilings. The air conditioning was exceptionally quiet, which allowed me to sleep very soundly. Breakfast and dinner, whether at the restaurant or in-room, was very enjoyable. We also liked that they had a little convenience store on-site were we could buy snacks for the road, wine, and gasoline too.

Room Tip: Request a second floor end unit for a little more private feeling, slightly better view, and vaulted...
Roslyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Five out of the eight days that we spent at the resort were very good. Three of the days were a disaster. Thats not a good average. I found our stay at the Fairmont in Maui much better, being upgraded to a villa for our anniversary and the restaurants were definitely better at the Fairmont.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Mark K
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Great hotel. Beautiful property. Nice golf course. Nice employees. My family and I felt very safe and comfortable here. The black lava rock, and all the swimming pools had my kids wide-eyed and the golf course did the same thing to me. We really had a nice stay. The hotel hooked us up with a nice nanny and my wife and I got to do a couple dinner dates. The kids loved the nanny so much, we invited her to come and watch the kids at one pool while we relaxed at another pool. This plan worked out very well. We had a great week. Some friends of ours had been to the Big Island before and told us to take the kids on a trip to Kaelakekaua Bay. We took the large, "family friendly" boat that offers a bbq lunch and lessons for beginners. It was an amazing day. Really glad we did that day trip. Worth the long drive into town. I can't say enough about this golf course. I love playing golf on my family trips because it helps me keep my sanity. This course delivers. Really nice. I heard they have a Senior Tournament here too. I can see why. We had a great stay. Perfect weather. Nice place. Thanks for a great week!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Stanley S
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Greetings from Hualalai!

You pay us the highest compliment when you say "We will stay here again!" I am so happy to hear that we recommended a wonderful nanny and the day trip to Kealakekua Bay. We hope you and your family will return soon to enjoy many of the other activities here on the resort or on island. You still have lots of exploring to do!! I hope you will have an opportunity to watch the Mitsubishi Golf Tournament finals on television January 17, 18 and 19. You will be inspired to return to Hualalai to enjoy a few more rounds!

Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance to you.

Storrs, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

A few glitches, but overall it was a great stay! We went for our wedding & had arrived before the regular arrival time and were supposed to be contacted when our room was ready. Check in time came along and no call so I called the front desk to check in on the status. They said they were replacing our mattress as requested, however we never requested that. I thought this was very odd. We were having our rehearsal dinner that night so we didn't have as much time to get ready as hoped due to the delay in our room being ready and receiving our baggage. The resort did press my dress within a half hour since I didn't have time to iron it at no charge, which was much appreciated! Once in our room it was very well appointed and we also loved the outdoor shower and used it daily. Our dinners and lunch at Beach Tree restaurant were fantastic! The lobster ravioli is a must and our server Jeannie was a true delight! ULU is good for breakfast and the deluxe buffet is worth the money. My sister is gluten free and they made her the best pancakes and banana bread! We had our wedding dinner at ULU, unfortunately I can't say the dinner was very good. I would not recommend the lobster pad thai. Had we known we would have booked our dinner over at Beach Tree or ordered off the sushi menu instead. The resort did make this up to us after voicing our disappointment with the dinner. Chocolate covered strawberries were delivered to my husband's parents room instead of our room on our wedding night. I brought this issue up to the front desk and they corrected it by bringing us some that night, which was very nice. I only wish I didn't have to correct the mistake. The resort location is wonderful and there is a very nice jogging pathway. The fitness equipment and workout areas are in a very nice natural setting. Make sure you get to the spa since the services and surroundings are top notch! The King's Pond is great for adults and kids, lots of fish to see in a very safe snorkeling environment. Even though there were some glitches in our stay I would go back and would highly recommend the resort!

Room Tip: Get a room with an outdoor shower!
Green Features: The hotel does a very good job with environmentally friendly practices. This is very important and I hope they continue to make even more advances in this area!
3 Thank pezmss
Aloha from Hualalai!

Mahalo for choosing Four Seasons Resort Hualalai as the destination for one of the most important days of your life - your wedding! Congratulations on your marriage! We sincerely appreciate the time you spent sharing your experiences. I sincerely apologize there were some missteps on our part, but we are happy to hear that overall you and your family had a memorable stay. We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come, perhaps for every wedding anniversary or to celebrate other special occasions.

Coronado, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The staff was awesome. We did not have one negatine experience. The staff exceeded our expectaions on every level. Have stayed at other Four Seasons and this one is the best. Make sure when you get a reservation that you request a ground floor unit. They have outdopor showers that are great. Completely private surroinded by lava rock. The spa was wonderful. seperate men and womens area with jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, cold plunge and lounges with outdoor showers. a great way to enjoy a nice massage.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room. Most of them have an outdoor shower. Very nice.
2 Thank Bill C
You certainly highlighted two of the many wonderful aspects of staying at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai - the outdoor showers and the incredible spa. We are happy to hear that there was not one negative experience during your recent visit with us and we hope you are already making plans to return.

Please let me know anytime I can be of assistance.

Executive Administrative Assistant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!