“No wonder its number one in all of the islands!”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I flew to Kona to stay at the four seasons with my adult children and about 50 friends for a birthday bash. We were greeted with a fresh flower lei and a Mai tai , then taken by golf cart to our suites and rooms. The rooms were fantastic . The rooms simply and elegantly appointed , very quiet with every amenity expected at a five star resort . The one bedroom suite was spacious with the best bathrooms ever ! Two separate bathrooms , one had a steam shower while the other had a soaking tub , separate standup shower and and outdoor lava shower! Ahhhhh . The pools are all wonderful , the cabanas on the beach a piece of heaven. And lets not forget the ever impressive kings pond brimming with colorful fish and snorkeling gear available to use. The entire staff was extremely pleasant, helpful and there to assure your stay is memorable and comfortable!
I highly recommend this resort, save your money and go, its four seasons so its really expensive but so worth the experience!
The food at every single restaurant is unsurpassed and by the way the local beef on Kona is the best Ive ever had and I live in the midwest!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Greetings from Hualalai!

I am thrilled to hear that you and your family visited with us here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai recently to attend a "birthday bash," and I am doubly thrilled that you built a beautiful memory. We are fortunate to have a wonderful staff and I am pleased to hear that you were the happy recipient of their aloha and that your accommodations were "fantastic."

We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come, perhaps to celebrate other special occasions.

Executive Office

Write a ReviewReviews (2,951)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Incredible five nights in a suite with both a steam and outdoor shower! They think of everything, a book light next to the bed, four kinds of coffee creamer in the fridge, a toaster in the room, real candles. I'm spoiled forevermore by the service, food, staff and setting. So many pools (one pond for snorkeling and a lap pool) and a great beachside path where you can spot green turtles resting. Amazing!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Cdubba

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely comments regarding your recent stay here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. I am delighed to hear that you are "spoiled forevermore." We accomplished our goal!

Please return many times in the months and years to come, whenever you need a little pampering in your life.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have thought about staying at the Four Seasons Hualalai for many years. But seeing that it was voted #1 Hotel in the World for 2013 by TripAdvisor members ended our indecision. What an honor, wow! We had to go! We booked an 8 night stay.

You can find fancier, pricier and more exotic places around the world to stay. But all things considered, this is one of the loveliest resorts we have ever experienced.

The main reason is the service. The personnel. Superb. Special thanks to Rheba, Florian and Gilles for making us feel so welcomed and appreciated. There are so many wonderful people that work there and I wish I had made a list of all of their names. But every valet, housekeeper, groundskeeper, gym attendant and concierge made us feel very special and we want to thank you all.

My husband unfortunately had business issues that arose unexpectedly during our stay. He needed a conference room, a computer and a conference call line. And this was needed at 5 am. Kent, the IT Director, was on top of it and bent over backwards to be sure my husband was comfortable with the set up and had everything he needed at his fingertips.

I also want to mention how great the golf staff is. My husband had the opportunity to play 2 18-hole rounds and also played 9 holes with the pro, Ken. The entire staff (cart attendants, starters and all the professionals) were absolutely fabulous.

We have stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui and that property is wonderful as well. But Four Seasons Hualalai was voted #1 in the world for good reason. It is a cut above. We will see you again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha!!

You are so incredibly kind and gracious to mention not only me, but Florian, Gilles and Kent as well in your glowing review. Mahalo! As you discovered, we are quite fortunate to have a wonderful staff who are so willing to extend their aloha. We were overwhelmed and quite honored that the Trip Advisor voters named us #1 Hotel in the World for 2013, and we will do our very best to continue to provide excellent service and a beautiful facility for you and our valued guests to enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Our recent 8 night stay (April 18 to 26) at the FS Hualalai was exactly what we needed after a long Canadian winter. Arrival/check-in was fast, friendly and personable. It feels like we have arrived home when we enter the lobby. Our room wasn't quite ready since we arrived early, but off to the Beach Tree restaurant for an amazing lunch.

Our room for the week, an amazing golf view suite, was our favourite room so far. Location is out of the way, but this only means more privacy, quiet and lovely walks to dinner and pool. You still have ocean views, and the added bonus of golf course views too. We had a rental car for the week so it was great to be able to park our car directly outside our room. Some days it felt like we were returning to our own home after a day of exploring (I wish!).

The bed was extremely comfortable as it always is, if not a little on the tall side. (I’m short). During our stay they launched the new eco-friendly (sustainable) reusable pump bottle soaps/shampoos (The Hawili project). The scent is very unique (Hawaiian-smelling), but I was instantly in love and the shampoo was awesome and the body creams were exceptional.

This suite has two full washrooms, a large living room/desk area and large bedroom. The closet area is huge (with many drawers) and the front hall also had a large closet. I wouldn't change a thing about this room. Our housekeeping was done promptly and efficiently by Celeste each morning at 10 a.m. If you have special preferences regarding time, please call housekeeping when you arrive. We also requested additional bottled water at turndown and this was done each night. We used the hotel’s pressing service – wow, they were quick and good. Also, used self-service laundry twice (they provide laundry soap and dryer sheets). This is such a luxury for a hotel to have this added bonus. Thanks FS!

I had a pedicure at the spa on the first day. It was average at best, and be warned, they put you in a chair that tilts you backwards (almost like a dentist chair). For someone with back issues this was intolerable, I had to ask sternly to be put back up. I don’t think the technician was impressed but I was ready to bolt from the chair altogether.

Our days were lazy and relaxing. Breakfast at 'Ulu was very good. Loved the waffles and coconut scones. Some days would switch it up and have salmon and rice or miso soup. I love that I can have Asian food at breakfast! DH was determined to eat his share of bacon and sausage. It really has everything you could ask for. We were on the breakfast plan, as we booked using a four seasons preferred partner, so it was included in our rate. However, to justify the $85 buffet charge (for 2), you have to really bring your appetite. Some mornings seating was a challenge, as most require shaded chairs and prefer outside seating. Breakfast hostesses handle the crowds with ease and grace. The waiters are lovely and remember us each morning.

Lots of children on this trip but mostly well behaved and under control. Mornings were a challenge to find a quiet table, but that was probably because of too many cocktails the evening before. Since we are on the topic, children, especially small children, can be found in abundance at this hotel. At Beach Tree during dinners this is usually okay, since most go over to the lawn area and stay out of the way. It’s actually quite nice to see them having a great time, dancing, doing hula, climbing on the now fallen beach tree. The only major issue is when there is a crying baby, and the family doesn't feel the need to go for a walk. This happened only a few times, but enough to ruin a portion of the meal.

We spent most mornings exploring the island, and back to the main Beach Tree pool in the afternoon for an hour or so. We are not really pool people, but the service is great, and the snacks/drinks are perfect. Some mornings we would do laps in the spa pool and that was so refreshing and cool. However, the Beach Tree pool was way too warm, uncomfortably so. We joked with staff each day to express our displeasure, but honestly, I don’t think they will change this. But, if I could change one thing for the entire week, that would be it! Please make the pool cooler. 

We did most dinners at the Beach Tree and had impressive meals. Don’t forget to make your dinner reservations in advance, as most restaurants are booked up each evening. The bar is fun for a pre-dinner cocktail. Try Tom’s Pink Shirt or Freddie’s Broken Flipper - Our favs for the week. The bartenders are all really kind and warm, but especially looked forward to seeing Tom and Juli. Dinners (and lunches) at Beach Tree were consistently good to excellent. Highlight was the night Chef Nick decided to set up an impromptu pasta station. The amazing dish had fresh local fish and handmade pasta. DH raved about the short ribs and lobster pasta.

We also tried ‘Ulu on the second night, so maybe it was the jet lag, but we just weren’t impressed. The portion sizes are very small, and the quality, in our opinion, wasn’t better than Beach Tree (although the prices are considerably higher). DH had the wild boar and it was overcooked and at least 50 % fat. Probably should have sent back, but we were too tired to complain. The highly acclaimed soufflé was just way too “eggy” and not enough flavor. The crab pot stickers as an appetizer was the highlight of the night. We will probably give ‘Ulu another try on our next visit. (service was good!)

I celebrated my birthday on this trip and was given several lovely treats throughout the day. It was so nice and special, I just can’t say enough about how kind they are. Complimentary desserts, wine, unique and fragrant lei. It was a memorable day, and I am grateful to the hotel staff (especially Janelle) for making me feel so special.

We did several day trips on this visit. A relaxing drive to Waipio Valley Lookout which was amazing, and a nice scenic drive out to Hawi, the birthplace of King Kamehameha. We also did some pretty great snorkeling at Puako and Honaunau Bay. We did the hotel sponsored snorkel trip with Alaka’I Nalu (130.00 per person) for a 2 hour snorkel. We had such an amazing time on our last trip we were very much looking forward to this. The good news is that they now have a different entry beach that will pick you up at the hotel and drive you to. The tour is pretty much the same as before, nothing new, so for us it wasn’t as much fun. I think they spend a disproportionate amount of time “chasing” the dolphins, and for those newbies, they were ecstatic, but we were looking for some good snorkeling. I won’t go into too much detail about the new Captain Jimmy, other than to say he comes across as a loud mainlander. This was completely opposite to our experience with Hawaiian local Daniel from the previous trip.

The Four Seasons Hualalai is an amazing property, with exceptional service, and lovely, warm, accommodating staff. As others have said, the word “No” does not exist at this hotel. If you pick the right time of year (April, October, November, early December), this hotel can be a relaxing oasis of pampered perfection. What else can one ask for? A Perfect Hawaiian Paradise.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kates70

Aloha from Hualalai!

Thank you (mahalo) for the wonderful review you posted following your recent visit here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai to celebrate your birthday. Once again, Happy Birthday! I shared your lovely compliments with the people you specifically mentioned and they join me in sending our best regards to you. Although there are so many activities to enjoy right here on the resort, I am happy to hear that you took a few trips off-property to visit some historical sites.

We hope you will continue to make our resort your vacation destination. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Great customer service in all areas of the resort. But very expensive, food and drink at all the restaurants and bars. The food is excellent though and big, so you can share. Lots to do. Enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Buy snacks, beer and wine in Kona first, bring to room. As at the store on site, almost tripe the pr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here for years and this trip was good, but not as great as it has been. Mostly small issues, like a sunblock being broken by house keeping, raw chicken at dinner or poor service at the family pool/beach. Noisy guests having a wild party late at night...
Without asking, the product was shipped to my home. The chicken was taken off our bill and the service improved greatly, after pointing it out. This desire to please us by making changes and rise to the standard we have come to love about this resort, is why we keep returning.
Jasen at the "sno-cone" stand is a top notch employee. He not only remembered us, but made us feel very welcome. Same goes for the staff at the quiet pool. Nicolette was a favorite. She anticipated our needs and then some. She would make a great manager one day.
The Residents Beach Club is a gem. Quiet, gorgeous views and solid menu items make it a perfect spot. The Ulu has a much better menu and the wine offerings were lovely. Great vanilla bean soufflé.
Best dessert- ginger cookie and strawberry ice cream sandwiches
at the adult pool. Delish!
This resort is serene, lush and exactly what I want when I think of Hawaii.

P.S. I highly recommend the Nalu sports at the resort- all if the fun of snorkeling, scuba without the boat trip. Rent the sea scooters- they were awesome! Held an octopus, saw amazing sea life & it was a short 5 min. ride on a golf cart from the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2013
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Greetings from Hualalai,

Thank you (mahalo) for taking the time to describe your most recent visit with us here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. I regret that there were a couple of "glitches" at the beginning of your stay, but I am happy to hear that we recovered nicely! You selected two of our super-star employees to point out - Jasen and Nicolette - and I shared your lovely compliments with them.

We have a vanilla bean souffle, shaved ice and ginger cookie/strawberry ice cream sandwich waiting for you. Hurry back!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have stayed here in the past and this stay was, by far, the best. The staff goes above and beyond the call and I would recommend it to everyone. The adult pool is great, if you have no children. If you have children, the kids pool is fantastic. The lagoon is great for all and there is a fourth pool for any quiet dwellers.The dining options are great, you do not need to leave the resort. The suites are worth the price. if you are traveling with children, reserve the suite and all four of you will have ample space. Other side trips would be to Waimea, helicopter around the island and fish on the Dojo. You will have a blast. I caught a 149 lb ahi with Ryan on the Dojo and it was a grate experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a room which faces southwest to see the sunset
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Aloha from Hualalai!

Congratulations on a successful fishing trip with Captain Ryan - 149 pound ahi is a real prize and so delicious! I am delighted to hear that you had an over-the-top Hualalai experience and I hope you will continue to make this beautiful resort your vacation destination for years to come.

Please let me know any time I can be of assistance to you.

Executive Office

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
13 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!