“Amazing stay for some much needed relaxation!”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
“Amazing stay for some much needed relaxation!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This place is incredible. My husband and I visited Oahu, Kauai and then topped it off with the big island at the Four Seasons. Talk about saving the best for last! We had a very stressful year and this really was a much needed vacation which the Four Seasons made truly special and relaxing. The service was top notch, the rooms large and clean with great views and the grounds pristine and gorgeous. I loved every minute of our 4 days and can't wait to go back someday. Thanks to all the staff that made our stay a 5 star vacation!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Akberg81
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Greetings from Hualalai!

I am so happy you "saved the best for last," and thank you for the glowing review of your recent stay here at Hualalai. I am sorry to hear that you had a stressful year, but (and I may be a bit biased) I think our resort is a healing place for both body and soul. We will hold you to your promise to return as soon as possible.

Executive Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Truly, this is one of the loveliest properties I have ever seen. We checked in on April 25th and left April 28th, but I left the resort only twice. Once to pickup my rental car, and the second to try and use the rental car with a short trip into town for some goodies.

We were placed in a bungalow on the far end of the resort, where the King's Pond is, and it had great ocean views of the sunset and lapping waves hardly 30 feet away. Our balcony faced the pond, which was a nice gazing point. We even had turtles resting regularly right at the end of the path to the beach. I saw at least 3 every single day!

I definitely loved being at the end of the resort, which meant very little foot traffic, but we were close to every single restaurant by just taking the beach path right outside. I could leave the balcony doors open to hear the waves crashing, but nary a noisy person or any other disturbances that are typical of a resort. I sleep very lightly and can't tolerate disturbances in the night. Once I'm awake, Im awake 100% and it takes another 30 minutes for me to feel sleepy again. Did not have that problem here!

Being outside Kings Pond was great too, though the snorkeling experience seems a little too contrived. They do have a pretty big eagle ray in there and ridiculously large fish, but I didn't find it too interesting compared to snorkeling in the wild. Its great for newbie snorkelers who want to get comfortable in a controlled environment first!

Service was hit of miss for us. Some was great, some was bad. My boyfriend was able to order a smoothie from his chair ont he sands of King's Pond, but when I came to join him, I was told I could get a smoothie from the Shake Shack that turned out to be a 15 minute walk to and back. Only when I came back did by boyfriend tell me, with a note of surprise, that they brought it to him! Okay... why make me go get it then?

We also found the Adult Pool to be heavily pretentious. All the chairs were taken and we walked over to the little towel booth to ask about availability. Four of the empty chairs on the beach were apparently reserved for the rooms on the oceanfront and the attendant said she would allow us to sit on the lawn chairs that are usually reserved for the Day beds that coast $100 for just the daybed use of $300 for the package that included wine water. I thanked her, and she put me on a waitlist and sent someone else out to give us covers for the chairs while we waited for something on the beach to open up.

Wow, this girl clearly hated us and detested the fact we existed. Did I spit in your bean curd in a another life? She made a point of snarkily telling us again that we usually aren't allowed to use these chairs ON THE LAWN WITH NO VIEW, but they are making a gracious exception. I said I was thankful and appreciated the exception and she smirked rather than smiled. Okay, I'm nice, not blind. She will be back with a menu shortly. Not. She never appeared again, never asking if we wanted water or anything from the bar. 30 minutes passed, nothing. My dear, I may not be wearing a Louis Vuitton swimsuit or toting a Goyard or Gucci tote while adjusting my Hermes sunglasses, but if I am here at your resort and if I've provided my room number proving I am a PAYING guest at this hotel, you need to reverse that attitude. The room comes with at least the pretense that you are stoked at my presence at this resort. A 5 second smile won't hurt your face. If I am bring nice to you, you should be nice to me. Simple.

We beat it outta there asap and went to the Seashell pool where the service was impeccable. Super nice attendants who beat me to the chairs I picked out with covers, towels and cold ice water. They came back several times over the next tours with cold towels, pineapple skewers, ice water and little cups of ice cream nuggets. What a big difference 30 feet makes.

Housekeeping was on it like a team of ninjas!!! We didn't have our Do Not Disturb signs while we were out, but sometimes we hung out late in the room up until 1-2PM with no knock on the door for housekeeping. However, as soon as we were out the door, they must have swooped in and hustled! We left our room at 1PM and returned at 3:30PM to find it immaculate. Several times, we saw this at random hours. We never came back to see the room as we left it.

I even made a passing comment to our waitress at the 'Ulu grill that I didn't have a coffeemaker in my room and wanted a hot cup of water for my tea. She brought me the hot water and before we even made it back to our room 10 minutes later, she had housekeeping set up my coffee station with pot on our counter. Whoa! It was then explained to me the next day that the coffeemaker/station was kept in the drawer at the bottom of the counter. Oops, I didn't even check...

Breakfast buffet at the 'Ulu grill is great and the selection is super plentiful from Japanese breakfast with delectable salmon, rice and miso soup to Taro Banana pancakes, custom omelet stations, all sorts of meats for the happy carnivore as well as the self serve parfait station. Oh, the the papaya. OH...THE PAPAYA.

Most of the time, service was pretty stellar.

The tennis courts were great and the golf course was, of course, amazing and surprisingly reasonable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Fatchamyleon
Aloha!

We sincerely appreciate the time you spent sharing your observations regarding your recent visit to Hualalai. I am happy to hear that you feel our resort is one of the loveliest properties you have ever seen. What a wonderful compliment!

Our management team reads all of the reviews and will follow up on areas you mentioned where we can make improvements. It is always our intention for every guest to know they are valued and that your requests are fulfilled quickly, with a warm spirit of aloha.

Mahalo for all of the pats on the back. We hope you will visit with us many times in the months and years to come.

New York
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I recently stayed here as part of a conference. It was my first time staying in a Four Seasons. At over $700/night, my expectations were high, and the hotel delivered. The rooms are generous in size, nicely furnished (earth tones, lots of wood). If you are a golfer (I am not), it has access to a great looking course. The multiple pools here are large and there was never a problem getting a chair. The beach was pretty, not the best beach in the world as it is pretty rocky. The hotel built a barrier wall to break the waves and control currents. Overall nice property, but at thes prices, it should deliver. I have stayed at St. Regis and Ritz Carlton properties, and this hotel is on par in regards to service.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Aloha from Hualalai!

We sincerely appreciate the time you spent describing your recent visit with us here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai with your conference group. I am happy to hear that your "expectations were high, and the hotel delivered." What a wonderful compliment!

We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come.

Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had the privilege to stay at this most prestine place on the planet. The room service tops all. With the beauty and all the amenities of this fabulous resort it is the most amazing experience and is each time we are here we always say it is the best vacation spot we have ever been. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and plan to return many more times. Thank You 4 Seasons!!! The Cardoza's

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Greetings from Hualalai, Mr. and Mrs. Cardoza,

I am delighted to hear that you had another wonderful visit to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, this time to celebrate your 30th wedding anniversary. Congratulations! I shared your lovely compliments with our room service staff who asked me to tell you that a pat on the back is always appreciated.

We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come, perhaps on every wedding anniversary!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Went to the four season's hualalai for my parent's 40th wedding anniversary. They did a great job from trying to call us by our name the moment we stepped out of our rental car, to being given a mai tai, cool towels and fruits while checking in. Everything was so personable. I have a 2.5 year old and 8 month old so I cannot attest to all the other reviews which poo poo on too many kids at the resort. I can say that there is an adult pool with a swim up bar that I would have loved to go to but the other pools were just fine and if pools aren't your thing then you either snorkel the King's pond (rather frigid!) or swim in the lagoon!

Epitome of a resort, worth every dime. Had a ground floor room, ocean facing and enjoyed the outdoor shower in the back almost every day. My wife said the only drawback was the lack of "authenticness" and as she was wishing she saw more Hawaiian workers or had more of the Hawaii feel someone came by blowing a conch and the tiki torches lit up. I'm sad I'm back home.....

Room Tip: We had an adjoining room 602-603 that they carded with the same code so we could get into either roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris T
Aloha from Hualalai!

We were so happy to hear that your family had a lovely time at our resort celebrating your parents' 40th wedding anniversary. Congratulations to them once again! As you discovered, there is a spot for everyone here at Hualalai, including Sea Shell pool which our keiki enjoy, King's Pond for snorkeling, Beach Tree and adults-only Palm Grove. I hope you discovered the Cultural Center where families can learn hula, ukelele, lei making and many other Hawaiian crafts. The Cultural Center staff is so personable and so filled with Hawaiian lore.

We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come, perhaps to celebrate many other special occasions.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I first got the chance to stay at the Four Seasons Hualalai a few years (had to choose a travel date for the posting and I can't choose a date older than June 2012, so the date is off) back when my wife's company had a function there. The resort is a bit off central, then again, most nice, beautiful hotels/resorts are off the busy downtown. Once you are in the Four Seasons Hualalai, you will not want to go anywhere else but stay in the resort property. The property is surrounded by ancient volcanic lava rocks and the pacific ocean. There are many activities available for you to enjoy.

You could explore the volcanic rocks on one part of the property or explore the fish pond (great family fun) that's conveniently located on property or take a dive in the open air swimming pool that over look the beach or just relax and enjoy the sun or have a round of golf or take a daily walk along the private beach (don't be surprise to find large Hawaiian green turtles resting on the beach). And how about a Hawaiian massage in private open air setting. Did I mention breakfast by the sea? And yes, the food is great, so is the service.

The weekend that we were there was totally not enough. We didn't want to leave. Luckily, we got another chance to visit Hualalai a year later and the feeling is still the same. We love it. This is one of those places that once you checked in you just want to stay forever. No doubt in my mind we will visit it again someday.

Room Tip: When checking in, ask for a open air shower. It's a shower on the outside of your bathroom, in...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

No other hotel can match the level of personal service achieved at Hualalai. The staff remembers and notes your preferences so that if you ever make a request, no matter how simple (example, you like a bran muffin with your morning coffee), on your next visit a year later, the bran muffins will appear without your even asking. The resort never seems crowded, even when fully occupied.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for your kind review! Our staff prides themselves in providing extra personal service which we feel sets us apart from many other beautiful resorts around the world. I am pleased to hear that you were the happy recipient of their/our aloha. The widespread layout of Hualalai ensures enough "elbow room" for everyone and with five swimming pools, enough variety to fill all needs.

We hope you will continue to make our resort your vacation destination and we promise to help you build another great memory.

Executive Office
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!