“Among the best any place at any price!”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City
“Among the best any place at any price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of a short weekstay the the Four Seasons Hualalai. I'm not sure what else I can add to the prior reviews. If you want amazing food, beautiful views, a gracious staff, pleasant pampering, and more... then this is the place to stay. Was it a bargain at the price we paid? While perhaps not a bargain, the value was obvious! My lady friend and I had an amazing time... and neither of us are easily impressed.

Room Tip: We loved our high corner suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank MJinmyPJs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

What can I add that hasn't been said: this is the best of the best. Our time there was fantastic. Our room, the food, the weather [always summer], the spa, everything. And, of course, I asked by beloved, Emily, to be mine. Bended knee, engagement ring [bought at the resort's jewelery store], on the beach. We walked the beach in the morning at sun up, and again at sun down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Dan M
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We visited this property January 2011. I know I'm a bit late but I didn't think I could review a place I didn't actually stay. We unfortunately were staying at the Hilton nearby aka Disney World complete with monorail. (not for us) Luckily a friend recommended having dinner at the Four Season and especially recommended their beach side buffet dinner. Being from the New York City area we are ok with expensive food as long as it's really good. And it was. So many selections to choose from and all done very well. I'm not a big eater but I like trying different things and this was perfect! You can't beat dinner by the ocean on a beautiful night after spending the day at the top of a volcano covered in snow.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SarahLBI
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We are at Hualalai right now. I had no choice on the room because we are part of a major event. Our only request was a king size bedroom. We never got it. Instead we got the most unwelcoming room they have. It is extremely dark and the first thing you see as you walk inside it is a bare wall!
We were really shocked! How is it possible that a place such as the 4 Season at Hualalai could have a room like this? It doesn't take that much to put a Hawaiian inspired media cabinet and some nice art work on the wall..... If I had my way I would have changed the position of the beds, and yes we never got our request... We got 2 tiny beds!
The bathroom is ok and there is the outdoor shower, but that is it pretty much. The room number is 2202. So if you go there make sure you don't stay in it. We go to hawaii at least once a year and based on this room we will not come back at this 4 season. We have stayed at many resorts. Our favorite is Mauna Kea..

Room Tip: If you go get an ocean front suite.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank Antonella L
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We returned to Hualalai for the first time in 10 years. We loved the resort when we visited 10 years ago and were wondering if the property would still be as lovely as we remembered. We like to visit new places and try new things on holidays, but decided to return to the Four Seasons after a decade because we had such fond memories.

Had we built up unrealistic expectations? Had we remebered it better than it was? We were not disappointed. The service was excellent as one would expect at any Four Seasons (special thanks to Kurt and the beach crew, the great staff at the Kings Pool and and the great staff at Ulu). The pools, tennis, restaurants and coffee shop were great.

The low density aesthetic of the resort remains timeless. The facilities were spectacular and have been maintained to a first class standard...Nothing old about this property. The continued capital expediture on the property is evident.

We rented a house on the grounds so we didn't stay in the actual hotel (this worked out better for us as we have three kids and it would have required two rooms). The resort facilities were as spectacular as we remebered. Golf was amazing. Ulu is a new restaurant (opened in the Fall of 2012) which we really enjoyed.

We arrived on Jan 2 and stayed until Jan 12 so we avoided the Christmas rush. Everyone told us that the hotel was very busy during the Christmas period and there was a scramble to get chairs by the pool, book tennis courts and get dinner reservations. Luckily we missed all this. Apparently it is very busy at Easter as well - perhaps avoid these times.

We travel a fair bit and Hualalai remains one of our favorite places in the world. We have been to other Four Season resort properties as well (Maui, Punta Mita, etc) and this is the best of the best.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Vanvcouverguy
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

It's definitely pricey but it doesn't get better than the Four Seasons on the Big Island. I had one of the best dinners ever on the beach in the Four Seasons restaurant. The rooms / cabins are all unique and the atmosphere across the resort is so calm and amazing. I also stayed at the Fairmont nearby and this was about 5X as nice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason H
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was the third and final island visit and hotel stay on our honeymoon in September of 2012. It was by far our favorite stay out of the three we visited [Four Seasons Maui & Lana'i prior].

From check in to check out, our stay was flawless and relaxing. The drive in from the airport alone was exciting! We had never been to the Big Island and it is so different from Maui and Lana'i. The landscape is a complete contrast; with black lava rock as the main focus as opposed to lush green valleys. But don't be fooled; the coastline and resort setting is so lush and beautiful; flowers, trees everywhere.

At check in, we were greeted by a young gentlemen who gave us bead necklaces and a refreshing beverage while we sat on a couch and went over our stay.

We were then taken in a golf cart by a very nice man whose name I cannot remember. The rooms are a neat set up; they are two stories - the top story has a nice balcony and view. The bottom floor has an outdoor shower and lanai. I would probably recommend the top floor as the outdoor showers don't appear to be all that great to compromise a beautiful view. We were on the top floor overlooking Kings Pond. The rooms are awesome - they are decorated with dark woods and while still feeling Hawaiian, it is not cheesy or over-done. Bathrooms are spacious with separate tub and glass walled shower. As at all Four Seasons, plenty of amenities in the bathroom [large size L'Occitane products]. They think of everything.

The resort has seven pools. Our favorite was the Beach Tree pool which was the large rectangular one overlooking the ocean with cabanas on either side and a wooden deck. We sat there everyday! Pool service was great - they set up towels, brought by treats, cleaned your glasses, provided sunscreen etc. We had a woman named Mary take care of us everyday and she was fabulous.

We did head over to the Palm Grove Pool which is the adults only pool with a swim up bar and infinity edge. It was fun but we liked the other pool more as it was a little too quiet at the Palm Grove Pool. We did snorkel a few times in Kings Pond as it was right outside our room. I am not a fan of snorkeling in the open ocean so this was the perfect alternative! The staff provided the snorkel gear free of charge.

My husband golfed twice and I rode along in the cart for the back nine. It is a really neat course. Lava rock is basically the hazard along with typical sandtraps, etc. Their signature hole [#17 I believe] has an amazing view of the ocean. I recommend playing this course [or at least riding along for the view!]

We did not do any excursions except for Waipio Valley [that's a whole other reivew -- wow, what a workout as we walked up and down the 'hill'] Concierge gave us great directions and it was a fun morning visit. If you're looking to get in some exercise this is the excursion for you!

Overall, food, drinks and service were five stars. We were able to book with a breakfast package so we had the full buffet every morning. It was delicious. I always know a buffet is good when their fruit selection includes entire bowls of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries and not just melons. lol
I loved our room, the pools, and the atmosphere at this hotel. I really do not have any complaints.

I would say there were only a few downsides to our stay but nothing to amend my rating from five stars: apparently one of the main restaurants was closed until November of 2012 for re-modeling. So we ate at the Beach Tree restaurant four nights in a row. We didn't mind though, because the food was excellent. Also, the beach at this hotel isn't much for swimming due to rock and coral so it's mostly pool swimming but we drove to a separate beach which was five minutes down the road with crystal clear water and that satisfied our ocean swimming for the stay.

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel. I am already asking my husband when we can return! :) Wonderful, friendly service with enough luxury yet not overwhelming or over the top [like Maui]. The clientele is more our style too. I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: We recommend the top floor of the bungalows only because of the view. Bottom floors have outdoor sho...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank EDMCRN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!